Finally A Thread With Pictures of How To Properly Tow Your Fiberglass Trailer. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I've been with relatives of a friend up fishing Lac du Goeland in northern Quebec that towed the fishing boat behind their towable RV. Had never seen that before.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I've been with relatives of a friend up fishing Lac du Goeland in northern Quebec that towed the fishing boat behind their towable RV. Had never seen that before.

Frank
Actually legal in Qc, and pretty common for those who like to go fishing/hunting up north. Typically, the second trailer is a boat or ATV trailer. It is legal as long as the first trailer is a FW, the entire rig is under 19 meters long, has brakes on all axles of all trailers, and is stable.
The 19m limit is the most restrictive rule as many larger FW trailers with a small utility or boat trailer behind will exceed this. So the 1st trailer must be rather small.
Sometimes we see a 2nd trailer behind regular, non-FW trailers, but those are not legal. Authorities have made some information campaigns over the last few years, mainly through campers associations, to explain the rules of towing doubles, and lately police has started to enforce the rules more strictly, apparently the fines are pretty high.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #23

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
That's what I remember Carl. There's a very long bridge right over the access stream/creek/river where we would launch the boat. You did NOT want to get caught on this single lane bridge as tandem log trailers would come barreling down it from the north with both trailers loaded with logs. They weren't about to stop if you were foolish enough to get in the way.

You could launch the boat (needed to be aluminum because of the river bed) and not get out or touch bottom because once you launched you were surrounded by Indian territory. On the other hand, the walleye fishing was extraordinary, like none I had experienced before or after. An incredible place. Seems to me we could only go in early July for some reason, and generally the air would be thick with forest fires nearby.

It was a long time ago. I retire late this year and would love to go up next summer, but not being conversant in Quebecois, I'm not sure if it would make sense.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #24

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Carl. Be careful what you say is not legal. If properly licensed to pull doubles (or triples) it is perfectly legal. No fifth wheel needed. Check with your state or province. I recently spoke with a man who had a doubles license. I do not know if you can get a doubles license apart from a CDL.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
Carl. Be careful what you say is not legal. If properly licensed to pull doubles (or triples) it is perfectly legal. No fifth wheel needed. Check with your state or province. I recently spoke with a man who had a doubles license. I do not know if you can get a doubles license apart from a CDL.

OK read again, I was talking specifically about laws here in the Province of Quebec.
Towing doubles IS LEGAL HERE if done according the the rules I've explained above, and here no special permit is required to tow doubles under 75 meters long. I didn't make that up, it is the law here.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #26

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
Give me 40 Acres, and I will turn this old Rig around ...
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hercules View Post
When I heard him yell
Give me 40 sticks of dynamite and I’ll blow this rig to _____.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hercules View Post
40 acres and a mule!
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote