First time trailering! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

Name: Aoife
Trailer: Boler
New York
Registry
First time trailering!

Hi all - So the Boler is all prettied up and most importantly shaped up with a new axle, rims and tires. I've trailer the egg only very short distances (from my barn to my driveway, and about 5 miles to the guy who installed the axle). I don't have a propane tank or anything on the tongue. I removed the fridge and replaced it with a small yeti cooler. The only other added weight inside is a battery under one of the rear benches and the old heater (which I don't operate). Nothing else in the cabinets. I will probably throw one of the old still usable tires inside (dont have a place for it outside) just in case. Anything I should be worried or concerned about for weight distribution/trailering?
AoifeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Tongue weight should be at least 10% of the total weight. Otherwise trailer sway could be a problem.

I'm a bit concerned that you are installing your battery inside. If it is a lead acid battery, you should put it in a vented box and vent it outside. Or, install the battery on the tongue.

Lead acid batteries vent both hydrogen and oxygen when they charge. This could cause an explosion.

From: https://fishhousesupply.com/vented-battery-box-kit/
Attached Thumbnails
Vented Battery Box.JPG  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

New York
Registry
Its a VMAX solar battery. SLR 85.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's an AGM battery, suitable for mounting inside, but several sources suggest they should still be vented. The risk is lower than with flooded batteries, but there is still some risk. It looks like RVIA code specifies venting for AGMs.
https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/elect...-need-venting/

I agree with David that you should make sure you have 10% tongue weight. Too light on the tongue can produce dangerous sway at highway speeds. Weigh your tongue on a bathroom scale rated for at least 300#. Use a piece of plywood to distribute the weight. Weigh your whole trailer at a CAT scale for a small fee (truck stops, feed lots, sand/gravel yards, recycling centers, and waste transfer stations typically have them). If it's not convenient to unhitch you can get just the axle weight (tow vehicle off the scale) and add the tongue weight to get the total trailer weight. Tongue weight divided by total trailer weight should be between 10-15%, with around 12% ideal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Ok this is very helpful. I am a complete newbie. So correct me if I am not understanding correctly: if my trailer weighs 900lbs at the CAT scale, it needs to weigh at least 90lbs on the tongue. If it only weights 70lbs on the tongue I need to somehow add 20 lbs of plywood to the tongue?
Old 07-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pretty much, though a 5 gallon jug of water on the floor next to the front bench or an LP tank on the tongue might be more useful when you're camping. Anything carried forward of the axle will increase tongue weight. The water weighs 40# and the LP tank a little less than 35#, but the LP tank will have a greater effect on tongue weight because it's further forward (lever principle).

If you're not planning to carry LP or battery on the tongue, you might consider putting a cargo box there or perhaps your spare tire.

900# is probably unrealistic for anything other than an empty, gutted Boler. 1200-1400# empty and 1500-1700# loaded is more typical.

My Scamp usually weighs around 1700# loaded for a trip, and tows very nicely with about 200# tongue weight (small battery and LP tank on the tongue and bottled water, canned goods, and tools- i.e., all the heavy stuff- stowed under the front bench). That works out to 11.7% tongue weight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:40 PM   #7

New York
Registry
And a 30# bag of dog food I should be all good. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoifeNY View Post
And a 30# bag of dog food I should be all good. Thank you!
Only if you don't feed the dog.