Flying J and Pilot to install megachargers for medium and heavy trucks. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2023, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Flying J and Pilot to install megachargers for medium and heavy trucks.

Good morning all. Most of us on here tend to have small tow vehicles to pull our smaller trailers. But some of course tow with 3/4 or 1 tons or may have a second RV. Anyway, I though this was interesting for us as RVers so here goes. Hope you enjoy the read.

It looks like pilot and flying J in addition to adding standard DCFC charge stations for lighter vehicles it will also add mega chargers for medium and heavy trucks. So if any of you are dreaming about pulling a big a$$ fifth wheel or maybe a custom converted super C on a Tesla semi chassis it looks like you’ll be able to charge at Flying J’s and Pilots.

Here is the article.

https://insideevs.com/news/628605/pi...ev-trucks/amp/
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We don't seem to have a popcorn emoji....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Love to replace the frame on my Scamp with a Tesla style battery pack, then I could boondock with A/C and full 110V power.

Heck the same idea could work to extend the range when towing with an EV!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #4

British Columbia
That would be way cool. Dry camp for a month.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:59 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Love to replace the frame on my Scamp with a Tesla style battery pack, then I could boondock with A/C and full 110V power.

Electric cook top, electric fridge, electric water heater. And with the weight you save from no longer needing that propane tank, you can carry another bicycle.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: Alek
Trailer: Casita
West Michigan
Between these and Loves joining with Electrify america a couple years back this should help by providing highway-side fast charging. Are there many/any businesses that have started experimenting with electric big rigs? I read at one point a while back that EV's would be especially good for certain applications, like school buses and garbage trucks where they need low speed high torque jobs with lots of stops/starts not long drawn out highway speeds.
AlekP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekP View Post
Between these and Loves joining with Electrify america a couple years back this should help by providing highway-side fast charging. Are there many/any businesses that have started experimenting with electric big rigs? I read at one point a while back that EV's would be especially good for certain applications, like school buses and garbage trucks where they need low speed high torque jobs with lots of stops/starts not long drawn out highway speeds.
Yah. There are a few companies building class 8 semi tractors now. Tesla produces and the Tesla semi. So far they have only produced 36 and Pepsi is there only customer. They only produce a few a week though. Pepsi uses them on Depot to depot routes of around 400 miles. Pepsi has their own private mega chargers at their depots. They have only been producing for the last month or so do not a lot out there yet.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Wonder how many Pepsi's a driver can drink while waiting hours to charge up their trucks?
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:52 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Wonder how many Pepsi's a driver can drink while waiting hours to charge up their trucks?
Hmm. Might be a misunderstanding here. Tesla semis charge at megachargers, not superchargers. So 30 minutes for a 70 percent recharge. 45 minutes to max. I would think after 400 miles in the drivers seat a driver would be allowed a 45 minute break at the depot.