followup on sway or not to sway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
followup on sway or not to sway

Great discussion on sway bars and towing...

We have decided that a sway bar addition is required so will be adding this ASAP. Norm's comment on being good insurance for safety and looking at all the videos posted convinced me.

We may have another issue I am not sure how to solve. Last year we hit that very wide (6') & high (18") speed table in Florida that impacted the hitch attachment on the TV (ripped it loose at the frame) and damaged the trailer tongue.

The trailer was been fixed with a new crank up and the small tweak in the jack platform was straightened. The hitch has been welded to the frame more or less in the same place as the factory mounts seemed to be.

It now it appears that the ball on the receiver is sloping down and no longer level. Hmm Scamp suggests 21" height for trhe 16' but we now measure only 18" at to of ball.

The Scamp towed fine for the past year and it was not until the rear bike rack was added it became squirrley.

Maybe have to find a new TV?

I will try the anti-sway and see how it pulls.

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Great discussion on sway bars and towing...

The Scamp towed fine for the past year and it was not until the rear bike rack was added it became squirrley........

Bat Dude
There's your answer.
Shift some weight forwards to compensate.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Sway bar cont.

Yep did that and virtually all weight was shifted forward to the bathroom bulkhead as well as computer bag (30+ lbs) and other heavier items (3 gallons of water) placed in the shower floor.

So a hundred or so lbs. werre shifted forward. Also added a new and a much larger deep ccyle battery adding an addtional 20 lbs or so to the battery box over the small battery that came with the Scamp.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Do you travel with the fresh water tank empty? Water weight: ~8lbs. per gallon, it can add up.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Yep did that and virtually all weight was shifted forward to the bathroom bulkhead as well as computer bag (30+ lbs) and other heavier items (3 gallons of water) placed in the shower floor.

So a hundred or so lbs. werre shifted forward. Also added a new and a much larger deep ccyle battery adding an addtional 20 lbs or so to the battery box over the small battery that came with the Scamp.
OK - good start.
But the bike rack is at the rearmost extremity.
Have you re-weighed the trailer?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
OK - good start.
But the bike rack is at the rearmost extremity.
Have you re-weighed the trailer?

BatDude.
Get your trailer weighted like Jim says then put your bathroom scale under the tongue jack.
You need between 10-15% of the total trailer weight, don't forget the bikes, on the tongue. 15% is better and 10% can get a little squirrely under certain conditions.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Bring your hitch ball up three inches. Adj hitch, me thinks. so that you are level, there about. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Are the bikes and bike rack solid so that they don't wiggle back and forth? I've seen some that fit really loose and cringe as I pass those guys (or they pass me) on the highway. It does seem that most people that have sway problems also have bikes on a rack in the back. That extra weight on the tail of the dog really affects handling adversely. :-(
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote