For those towing with a Tesla. Supercharger charging info. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
For those towing with a Tesla. Supercharger charging info.

Hi Folks. For those that are towing with or plan on towing with a Tesla, here is a little info on charging at Superchargers that don't have a trailer spot at the end of the row or a pull thru. Still very common and pull thrus and trailer spots have only started to show up in Superchargers that have been built in the last couple years, and sometimes even on new ones like the one in our home town.

So count on using 3 spots. It looks like 4 spots here but that is because someone was parked at the end of the row and I didn't want to crowd them for the sake of a picture.

Anyway. This happens reasonably often. If the supercharger is quiet then this is acceptable. If not expect to unhook the trailer which really isn't that big of a deal. Tesla is building more and more stalls suited for small trailers but as more and more people tow with their Teslas they are going to need a lot more.

Tip. You don't have to get too close to the curb as you swing in. A couple feet is fine. The cable easily reaches that far and you can pull far enough ahead to not impinge on the 4th spot (like I am doing in this picture).

JMHO. Cheers.

Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #2

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Looks like you might be able to pull in differently to take up less space across the front of the chargers but your camper might stick out into the travel lane a bit. Nice camper! How much does towing affect your driving range compared to not towing?😎
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
Looks like you might be able to pull in differently to take up less space across the front of the chargers but your camper might stick out into the travel lane a bit. Nice camper! How much does towing affect your driving range compared to not towing?😎
Hi Flaco. Typically one loses about half the range when towing.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: charles
Trailer: curtis wright
California
I hope to tow a 13' scamp with a model 3, anyone have any experience how much a range hit will be with a small light trailer like that (total weight 1500 pounds) or if you can share what mpg drop % you are having if towing with a smaller vehicle, just how aerodynamic are these small fiberglass trailers and what do you recommend that would be best to tow with an ev
cmugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmugler View Post
I hope to tow a 13' scamp with a model 3, anyone have any experience how much a range hit will be with a small light trailer like that (total weight 1500 pounds) or if you can share what mpg drop % you are having if towing with a smaller vehicle, just how aerodynamic are these small fiberglass trailers and what do you recommend that would be best to tow with an ev
Hi Cmugler. I would recommend you use 50 percent loss as a guide. That way you won’t be disappointed. Just like a gas vehicle it will depend on two things. Speed and frontal area of the trailer.

We just travelled across Canada towing a 3400 pound (loaded) teardrop trailer. No issues. Most days are touring so range wasn’t an issue. But we kinda dead headed thru Saskatchewan, Manitoba and eastern Ontario. On those days we travelled 500 to 600 kilometres per day and typically charged at superchargers 3 times per day. Usually 20 to 30 minutes for a charge stop.

We also charged at night in campgrounds so we started everyday at 100 percent on the battery.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #6

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
We just travelled across Canada towing a 3400 pound (loaded) teardrop trailer. No issues. Most days are touring so rangecwas an issue. But we kinda dead headed thru Saskatchewan, Manitoba and eastern Ontario. On those days we travelled 500 to 600 kilometres per day and typically charged at superchargers 3 times per day. Usually 20 to 30 minutes for a charge stop.

We also charged at night in campgrounds so we started everyday at 100 percent on the battery.
Thank you so much for continuing to post your real-world EV towing experiences.

You're an inspiration to this old gas-burner.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #7

Name: charles
Trailer: curtis wright
California
follow up question, looks like the model 3 is your tow vehicle, did you do modifications to the hitch to tow 3400 pounds as I thought they were rated at 2000 pounds? Also I will be towing half the weight of you so hopefully range hit won't be 50% unless the aerodynamics of a small scamp is far worse than your teardrop
cmugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #8

British Columbia
My pleasure.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmugler View Post
follow up question, looks like the model 3 is your tow vehicle, did you do modifications to the hitch to tow 3400 pounds as I thought they were rated at 2000 pounds? Also I will be towing half the weight of you so hopefully range hit won't be 50% unless the aerodynamics of a small scamp is far worse than your teardrop
Our tow vehicle is a model Y with the towing package. It is rated to 3500 pounds towing and 350 pounds hitch weight. Tesla also rates towing assuming the car is loaded to the full GVWR (which we are not). We also got the AB performance enhancement so it’s kicking 447 horsepower. Lotsa Jam. .

Yes I understand the tow rating is 2000 pounds for the model 3…or at least that’s what I have read. I think it will be fine for your scamp.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Tesla

Appears that this charging location is not very busy , but if it were couldn't you just unhook the trailer and take just one space Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Appears that this charging location is not very busy , but if it were couldn't you just unhook the trailer and take just one space Lee
Yah for sure. We have been fortunate so far. We have had to unhook only once in over 4000 kilometres. That was in Airdrie Alberta. It was half full but I know from experience that superchargers can get busy around supper hour. So we unhooked and all was fine. It doesn’t take long to unhook so why not.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #12

Tesla

i live in Twin Falls Idaho and our visitors center has 8 or 10 Tesla charging stations which are quite often all in use so was just wondering . Thanks Lee
Old 06-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
i live in Twin Falls Idaho and our visitors center has 8 or 10 Tesla charging stations which are quite often all in use so was just wondering . Thanks Lee
Yah Lee, it’s like anything else, it comes down to a courtesy thing. Many of the supercharger locations we have used have a trailer stall which is perfect for our length of trailer. But many don’t so we have to be careful on taking up two or three stalls. So far so good. But I also stay with the car so if someone does show up that needs a stall I would immediately disconnect from the charger and give up the spots.

Cheers and safe travels.

John.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #14

Tesla

Helpful info John , an all electric could be in my not to distant future and will be pulling my 13 foot Trillium . Lee
Old 06-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Helpful info John , an all electric could be in my not to distant future and will be pulling my 13 foot Trillium . Lee
I’m certainly not an expert on what EV’s tow well but I know we are very happy with our model Y and the tow package. We have towed a lot of trailers with a lot of vehicles and this combo just feels so connected. And the performance is amazing. We paid the extra two grand for the AB horsepower boost so it’s kickin 447 horsepower. Without the trailer the car does zero to 60 in 4 seconds. With the trailer it does it in 8. .

If you get the tow package from the factory it comes with the towing software. Great for sway control with or without a brake controller. Tesla pre-wires for a brake controller but let’s you choose which one. We chose the P3 from Tekonsha. Easy 20 minute install. I mounted it to the left of the steering wheel for easy access. But really, with your trillium you may not even have trailer brakes.

Anyway, here is a pic. You can see it thru the steering wheel on the left.