Ford Escape and Scamp 13: Is Class II hitch ok? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #101

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Okey-Dokey.... The hitch has a 3500 lb capacity, but the vehicle may not... it's an old smoke and mirrors trick where they use the same hitch on all models.

Here's is an "Official" Ford website listing the towing capacities for different 2014 Escapes. As you can see, towing capacity ranges from 1500 to 3500 lbs depending on which driveline (and perhaps other different parts that go with them) is installed.

As far as the "Flat-4 connector, that will plug into the lighting pigtail on many aftermarket 7 pin plugs and you will can run extra brake and charging lines. I don't know of any surge brakes that can be easily fitted to the frame tongue shape on most FGRV's, and that modification would cost a lot more than electric brakes as well.
Doug mentioned previously that it's a 2L ecoboost, and he seems to have confirmed the factory tow, so it should be 3500 lb.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #102
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
. The wiring, while restricted to a 'flat four' configuration, is somewhat restricted but will work well with what we have. The next big thing is BRAKES on the trailer (which it should have anyhow...). The wiring harness does not allow for anything other than a 4 wire set up, so I'm leaning toward surge brakes. (something is better than nothing. right??).
I've run across this on two vehicle and solved the problem two ways.

- my first generation Tundra came with a 4 pin socket. I bought a 4-7 adapter. Ran a charge line from the battery under the truck. Ran power through a grommet in the firewall for the brake controller. Getting the brake light signal is typically done at the pedal switch. Good luck. I was able to get the wire color code (dealer) and found the wire in a bundle in the door sill. I used a strait pin pushed in to the wire and a meter to verify.

-the Subaru required an after market light converter to get to the 4 pin. The 4-7 adapter with the charge line from the battery was added. Here the stop light signal for the brake controller was one of the wires on the oem plug into the light converter. The wiring diagram for the converter identified which one. Again a strait pin into the wire and meter to verify.

Cutting into the wiring harness, especially if the vehicle is under warranty, is not for the faint of heart. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #103

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Factory Hitch Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Doug mentioned previously that it's a 2L ecoboost, and he seems to have confirmed the factory tow, so it should be 3500 lb.
That's good news, but there is a practice at both Ford and GM to put the same hitches, with the same limit tags, on vehicle versions with different towing limits. As he mentioned that he read the label on the hitch to determine towing capacity, it merited a heads up on misleading labels. As I don't have access to the manual for that specific vehicle, I posted a link to a Ford Motor Company document.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...cape_may13.pdf

As an example I have mentioned, Factory installed hitches on 2003 Chevrolet/GMC Blazers/Jimmys are all labeled at 6000 lbs, but the actual range for the vehicle is as low as 2000 lbs and no higher than 5800 lbs.

Sooo... Hitch labels should not be used as a reliable source of information for the vehicle to which it is attached.

Bottom line, as always, refer to the owners manual for that specific vehicle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #104

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Steve (a.k.a. Stevesway),

Last month, we pulled our Scamp13 to Scamp Camp (Sebring) with our 2014 Ford 2.0L FWD
Escape.

With 240hp and 270ft/lbs of torque, your Escape should be able to pull either a Scamp13 or a Scamp16.

When we bought our 2014 Scamp13 in Oct 2013, our best tow vehicle had 180hp, 170ft/lbs
of torque, and was rated to tow only 1500 lbs. I configured for minimum weight by omitting
the wood interior (Deluxe), the front bathroom, the AC, the furnace, and the awning. I think
we got most all of the other options (including the 54" bed and the front and side cabinets).

There are pictures of our Scamp13 in a thread that is titled "Bigger bed = Smaller table" or something like that. If you want to see them and can't find that thread, send me a PM.
(I suppose you could also search the forum for threads with my userid?)

For now, our Scamp13 seems appropriate for our needs and wants. If Scamp ever decides
to put the 54" bed in a Scamp16 Layout 4, I suppose we might be tempted. I'm pretty sure
that the Escape would handle that with no problem. Since my sister and brother-in-law have
a Scamp16 Layout 6, maybe they would let us pull theirs and test that theory? 😉

Good luck with your hunt and decisions! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp