Ford F-150 extended range fuel tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Ford F-150 extended range fuel tank?

Does anyone know what you actually get if you order the “36 gallon extended range” fuel tank on a new Ford F-150? I’ve read or been told four different stories: 1) Ford installs a single 36 gallon tank in place of the standard 23 gallon tank (implied in brochures), 2) Ford simply installs a secondary 13 gallon tank (23+13=36, as explained to me by a Ford salesman), 3) All F-150's come with a 36 gallon tank, but unless you pay for the extra capacity, there is an internal air baffle (?) that limits filling to 23 gallons (as explained in a Ford forum post), and 4) there are two different sized tanks, but using published dimensions, the larger 36 gallon tank has only 14% more calculated capacity, so there must be something else going on inside the smaller 23 gallon tank to further limit it’s capacity (from another Ford forum post suggesting again there might be an internal baffle of some sort that limits filling capacity unless you pay for larger capacity). With the recent re-model, there may actually be more than one correct answer. But short of me going to a Ford dealership lot and crawling under a bunch of pickups, does anyone know what you really get if you order the extended range fuel tank on a new F-150?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go directly to Ford with a Letter so you get an answer back in a letter.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I do not have a direct answer to your question, but my understanding about dual tanks is that they do not work well with fuel injection. Fuel injection requires a supply line and a return line for the excess fuel that is not consumed. A switching device for a supply and return line for each tank would be much more complicated than using just a single tank. If you inadvertently took the supply from one tank and returned it to the other tank, the return tank could overflow.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Several years ago International Trucks came out with a new system for dual tanks. Fuel was drawn out of one tank only. As that tank got low, fuel was pumped from the second tank over to the first tank. That system didn't always work real good. Older truck drivers will remember the equalizer line from the bottom of one tank to the other that had the potential of being torn off in an accident, dumping all the fuel on the ground.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

Washington
I have a friend who had a diesel twin engine boat with 2 fuel tanks. The valve system was all manual. One time he really "messed up" and returned the unused fuel to a tank that was already full. What a mess.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Several years ago International Trucks came out with a new system for dual tanks. Fuel was drawn out of one tank only. As that tank got low, fuel was pumped from the second tank over to the first tank. That system didn't always work real good. Older truck drivers will remember the equalizer line from the bottom of one tank to the other that had the potential of being torn off in an accident, dumping all the fuel on the ground.
Also several years ago, with a much more consequential result, a small military plane crashed in central Alabama (near Alexander City) because the fuel pump that was supposed to equalize fuel between the two fuel tanks mounted in the wings stopped working. With no apparent warning, all the fuel got used out of one side, none out of the other. First sign something was wrong came when the on-board computer system struggled with the developing weight imbalance. Second problem was the engine stalled even though indications were that they still had half their fuel supply. As I recall, the pilot ejected okay before the plane went down. Who would have thought that a faulty little fuel equalizer pump could bring down a plane?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
I'd sign on to one of the websites that provide invoice prices (e.g. edmonds.com) and look at the options.

also:
Who doesn't want a bigger fuel tank? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I'd sign on to one of the websites that provide invoice prices (e.g. edmonds.com) and look at the options. also: url=http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1386694-who-doesnt-want-a-bigger-fuel-tank.html]Who doesn't want a bigger fuel tank? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums[/url]
Been on several websites, including Ford's "Build Your Own Truck" site. They simply list a 36 gallon tank as an option. Period. In the past, when we went window-shopping at a couple dealerships to look at sticker options and prices, the only trucks we saw on the lots with the 36 gallon fuel tank were the ones with the big 5.0L engine. It's like they think the 2.7L EcoBoost is so fuel efficient that no one would also want the big 36 gallon tank to go with it. Go figure. I really dislike dealerships that think they know what you want better than you do, then they insist on selling you what they have on the lot rather than what you want. They also seem to think that people who drive pickups don't want the BLIS (blind spot, rear cross-traffic detection) option. Ford lists it as an option on their F-150 XLT trim, but try to find a truck on the lot with it. Not around these parts, anyway. And predictably, since they don't have it on their lot, they try to convince you that you don't want/need it. Okay, off my soapbox about dealerships....
Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Washington
Hi, War Eagle, just curious what the cost of the 36 gallon option adds to the cost of the truck ?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Hi, War Eagle, just curious what the cost of the 36 gallon option adds to the cost of the truck ?
$395 list price.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Hi Dale,

We just took delivery of a 3.5 EB with 36 gallon tank and BLIS. First, we won't get much use from BLIS, it only operates when you are not towing. Also, I only peeked at the tank once but it is in the same location and larger than the tank on our last F150. If you want measurements or pics, let me know.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Washington
$395 for a larger fuel tank ! 13 extra gallons for $395 is steep. With any manufacturer, it's take it or leave it. Sadly, I would spend the money because I've been in some places where running out of fuel would be very inconvenient.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Been on several websites, including Ford's "Build Your Own Truck" site. They simply list a 36 gallon tank as an option. Period. In the past, when we went window-shopping at a couple dealerships to look at sticker options and prices, the only trucks we saw on the lots with the 36 gallon fuel tank were the ones with the big 5.0L engine. It's like they think the 2.7L EcoBoost is so fuel efficient that no one would also want the big 36 gallon tank to go with it. Go figure. I really dislike dealerships that think they know what you want better than you do, then they insist on selling you what they have on the lot rather than what you want. They also seem to think that people who drive pickups don't want the BLIS (blind spot, rear cross-traffic detection) option. Ford lists it as an option on their F-150 XLT trim, but try to find a truck on the lot with it. Not around these parts, anyway. And predictably, since they don't have it on their lot, they try to convince you that you don't want/need it. Okay, off my soapbox about dealerships....
It's worse than that. One of my kids sold cars for a while and he felt a need to hide the fact that he understood physics and mechanics. The most sought-after characteristic for a car salesperson is a predatory nature.

Sorry I missed your real question of how the 36 gallon feature was implemented, rather than how to get it.

In '12 when I wanted a 3/4 ton pickup I wanted (among other things) a manual transfer case that you could use at interstate speeds and curtain airbags. Chevy met the transfer case requirement but curtain airbags were only available (on the lots) in high-end trucks. Fords (even those with crank windows!) had curtain airbags and I compromised and got an F-250 with an electronic transfer case. It turns out that people use the Ford manual transfer case at higher speeds but the manual says max = 3 mph.

When gas was $4/gal my 35 gallon tank could make me feel like a trip to the emergency room!
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
... we won't get much use from BLIS, it only operates when you are not towing. ...
Marv, If/when we get one, the F-150 will also be used to run errands to the local garden center, farmer supply, etc., where my wife (who normally drives a Prius) wants all the help she can get pulling a full-sized pickup into and out of those seemingly ever shrinking parking spaces. Also, as our eyes age and reflexes slow, we both feel it prudent to have a few more whistles and bells alerting us to when others enter our personal auto space - especially those who seemingly come out of nowhere and zoom past at 20+ over the speed limit! There was a big speed trap on I-65 South between Montgomery and Mobile, Alabama, over the Memorial Day Weekend (radar car on overpass plus 5 chase cars), and they could have ticketed most everyone out there - present party excluded, of course. Be safe out there...