Ford Maverick - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #41

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Thanks! I've read about the recall. I may talk to the Nissan dealer today, find out more. Edit- I just drove an SV Crew 4X4. What a nice truck and reasonably priced. Except for the $3000 "market adjustment." Nope, I can wait another 6 months.... Saw a cactus gray(?) Maverick on the road today, looked good!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Maverick is a nice truck. I suspect they will sell alot of them. I did a search on Cars.com. It's interesting how a $20k truck can be optioned up to twice that and that's before dealer games. If I were in the market, for $40k, I'd buy the Ridgeline.

I read many of the Ford recalls have been electronics. I suspect they are pushing things out the door too soon and letting the customer do the beta testing.

I'm on my third Frontier, a 2017. The first needed the rubber bumper on the tailgate adjusted. That was the only warranty issue. No recalls on any of them. Just as well as I hate hanging out at car dealerships.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I read many of the Ford recalls have been electronics. I suspect they are pushing things out the door too soon and letting the customer do the beta testing..
See the link in post #9. It’s a bit vague, but I’m reading words like “engine failure” and “series of reported fires.” That’s in reference to the hybrid, not the 2.0L gas version the OP was asking about, and it includes the Escape hybrid, which has been around longer.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #44
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
See the link in post #9. It’s a bit vague, but I’m reading words like “engine failure” and “series of reported fires.” That’s in reference to the hybrid, not the 2.0L gas version the OP was asking about, and it includes the Escape hybrid, which has been around longer.
There was an article in the WSJ a couple of years ago that talked about Ford wanting to be at the front of technology and that as a result they were seeing an increase in recalls and warranty visits. This was across the whole product line, not just hybrids.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #45

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
There was an article in the WSJ a couple of years ago that talked about Ford wanting to be at the front of technology and that as a result they were seeing an increase in recalls and warranty visits. This was across the whole product line, not just hybrids.
This is more recent:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-ford...-1-11659758404
Old 08-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Recalls can be a two edged sword.
Many manufacturers choose to do recalls only when ordered by the NHTSA
due to the perceived impact on company image.

Some are more proactive and recall voluntarily when they see even a minor problem.

In fleet we dealt with a lot of recalls on several makes, some serious some trivial... many were simply CYA moves.

On my personal vehicles, I have experienced 7 recalls since 1995. Not one of the bunch was necessary. I refused 5 of them and allowed only two.
They are still waiting for me to bring in my 1995 Mustang for a supposed possible flaw in the fiberglass hood.
Each recall has described the dire consequences of not complying.
A couple were to simply "check something"... one was only a part number of which the supplier had a small failure rate.
The ones I allowed were actually only upgrades.

Remember the cruise control issue from 2001? My 2001 Ranger finally got the "fix" in 2018 when I took the truck in for service while on vacation.
They changed the oil, looked up the VIN and performed the recall after 17 years.
Bottom line...
Recalls can indicate flaws in the manufacture, or they can indicate an exaggerated desire for greater customer satisfaction.
Either way, if you get a recall it is usually to your advantage to have it done.

Most issues which indicate the overall quality of a vehicle have nothing to do with recalls....Anybody remember timing chains and head gaskets on 22Rs ?

Some recalls do, and are serious;( remember frame replacement recalls?)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:

Can't speak for the WSJ and certainly would never trust Consumer Reports but for those out there who do trust them....
https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/20...ew-comparison/
Old 08-10-2022, 03:53 AM   #48
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Can't speak for the WSJ and certainly would never trust Consumer Reports but for those out there who do trust them....
https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/20...ew-comparison/
Ford Authority, who publishes that?
Old 08-10-2022, 08:14 AM   #49

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha.......

Actually a spit out the coffee event.

People have been shown to trust the providers who support their preconceived notions.

That's why I read unbiased, non manufacturer-connected, data-driven, independent organizations like Consumer Reports over manufacturer-based publications.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/consumer-reports/
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha.......

Actually a spit out the coffee event.

People have been shown to trust the providers who support their preconceived notions.

That's why I read unbiased, non manufacturer-connected, data-driven, independent organizations like Consumer Reports over manufacturer-based publications.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/consumer-reports/

Well finally we come to the point...
I didn't endorse any of it and I said so. A magazine can help inform you, but if you know something from real experience it has more weight.
Quoting a magazine doesn't make you an expert.
Whoever "ford ahthority" is, they were doing exactly the same thing you were... Quoting "Consumer Reports" (also JD Powers and Kelley Blue Book)
Your preconceived notions are showing!
If I drank coffee I would be spewing it out my nose about now.

This forum is just one more source of opinion and information.
In the end we are just two guys with opinions based on limited information and experience. The value of which should be weighed with care and a touch of skepticism.
Thank you for that portion of your discourse which was civil!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:

Hi Raz;
Good question

I never heard of them either, so I looked it up...

Ford Authority is the premier destination for Ford Motor Company enthusiasts as well as current and potential owners, fans and industry spectators to stay up to date on the latest Ford news and discuss the latest FoMoCo topics in our Ford forums. Ford Authority is an independent publication owned and operated by Motrolix LLC.

I trust them about as much as any magazine, like their sources "Consumer Reports", "J D Powers" etc. all taken with a grain of salt.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #52
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Maverick is a nice truck. I suspect they will sell alot of them. I did a search on Cars.com. It's interesting how a $20k truck can be optioned up to twice that and that's before dealer games. If I were in the market, for $40k, I'd buy the Ridgeline.

I read many of the Ford recalls have been electronics. I suspect they are pushing things out the door too soon and letting the customer do the beta testing.

I'm on my third Frontier, a 2017. The first needed the rubber bumper on the tailgate adjusted. That was the only warranty issue. No recalls on any of them. Just as well as I hate hanging out at car dealerships.
The ridgeline was my first choice but good luck getting one anytime soon ,I’ll see how this works out as I have seen many being sold for more than paid and might be able to change to the ridgeline without to much of a hit or maybe I’ll be more than happy with this
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #53
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The ridgeline was my first choice but good luck getting one anytime soon ,I’ll see how this works out as I have seen many being sold for more than paid and might be able to change to the ridgeline without to much of a hit or maybe I’ll be more than happy with this

I've yet to meet a Ridgeline owner who didn't love their truck. It has a more refined ride than other trucks. I prefer a no frills vehicle. At the time, Nissan made a work truck that had all I needed. The current entry level Ridgeline is the Sport trim. Thousands more if you could find one. Even pre-covid they were rare. The Nissan has 4wd with a low range. The Ridgeline is AWD, no low range. Also on the Ridgeline you can't manually shift the gears like you can on my Nissan. I'm not sure what the new transmission provides. Finally, the Nissan comes with a full size spare while the Ridgeline comes with a compact spare, not recommended for towing. A fullsize spare can not fit in the spare tire space and must be carried in the bed. Some bolt it to the back wall but if you do that, you can't use a tonneau cover which I prefer over a cap. Reliability is great for both trucks.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #54

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Consumer reports trashed three fine vehicles that I drove for years. My 1975 Pinto 2800 was great. Ford recalled it for gas tank straps that caused some rear end accidents that resulted in fire. That fixed the problem but the media finished it off. We also drove a Isuzu Trooper for years. It was very reliable and handled well for a truck. Consumer Reports tested it and the Suzuki Samurai and decided since these trucks didn’t handle like a car they were defective. I drove the Samurai to work for 15 years. It was a short, jeep like vehicle with solid axles and leaf springs. That didn’t mean it was unsafe. It just had it be driven like an older jeep.

I would never trust them to be unbiased.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #55

Arizona
Registry
Maverick provides the option of a full-size spare. Seems like it ought to be part of the 4K tow package, but at least it’s available. One of many things Ford got right with this vehicle.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #56

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Apologies for the hijack but Dennis mn did you have to add air bags or other suspension mods to keep your Frontier from squatting in the rear? I'm pondering a Frontier to pull a Casita. Thanks
Sorry, but I just spotted this post. I have not done any modification to the suspension of either Frontier. The Scamp 19 places the tongue weight far enough forward that squat is not an issue. With the Airstream, I followed Nissan's tow guide that states that if tongue weight exceeds 400 lbs, use a weight distribution hitch. I think that a Frontier will do a great job of towing a Casita, if you follow the guidelines outlined in the towing guide. That said, I have chosen to ignore their frontal area limit of 30 square feet. That has not caused any issues in 40,000 miles of towing.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #57

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Thanks Dennis. I did get the Frontier SV 4X4. I've only towed a couple of test runs and did some measurements. It tows comfortably w/o a WD hitch but the front lifts about an inch, tongue weight is 430#. I was hoping to avoid the complication and weight of the WDH but I guess not. What a nice little truck, though. Fit and finish, nice seats and plenty of power from the 3.8 V6. Dealer had a $3000 mark up but they quickly abandoned that and I was able to get it for a bargain, MSRP. Haha They did give me a good trade for my F150 so I suppose I was fleeced no more than usual.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote