Ford Maverick - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Ford Maverick

Anyone have a Ford Maverick with the tow package?
If so, could you tell us how it well it tows your trailer?
Thanks
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Rei View Post
Thanks
Was putting my ridgeline out to pasture and searching for a new tow vehicle a few weeks back ,checked out the maverick and was not to impressed with the tow capacity so went back to my first choice which was a new ridgeline ,decent at 5000 lbs same as my old one but good luck trying to get one in the next year ,same for the Tacoma so I stumbled by the Nissan dealer and checked out the all new frontier ,6400 lbs capacity and a beautiful truck ,bought the only one in town and very pleased with it but good luck trying to get one now as the word has gotten out .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have been watching this truck since its inception.
It is great for the task you describe , My son has been trying to buy one for about a year. They are hard to get and gouging is rampant right now.
The 2.0L is a strong and proven engine and the 8SPD is great, unfortunately the 4000 pound tow package is now only offered with AWD.
The fit and finish is unparalleled in beauty and comfort.
Better drive one before you settle for less.

Things will be better next year or it just won't matter anymore.
Hopefully groceries will still be available in adequate quantities.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
.... unfortunately the 4000 pound tow package is now only offered with AWD....
if its a FWD vehicle, thats pretty much a given, FWD is awful for towing, you need RWD/AWD to get traction under heavy load.

I'm rather surprised Ford brought the Maverick name back... the original 70s Maverick was an awful car.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Well they made great race cars! More aerodynamic than a Mustang, set lots of records even as a 4dr by Gapp/Roush.
Economical easy to repair runaround in stock trim.
I don't think awful is a fair description of an original Maverick.
Attached Thumbnails
284b3e15b42681f192d6860195430339.jpg  
Old 08-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve yet to hear any member report buying one. My thoughts when I first saw it were (1) what took so long, (2) they nailed the styling (neither bland like the Ridgeline nor weird like the Santa Cruz, (3) the price is really attractive, and (4) this is right on the mark for the times.

Commercial reviews on towing were mixed. One I read said the hybrid did beautifully with a 1500# trailer but the 2.0L AWD struggled with a 3500# trailer. I think if I were planning to tow over 3000# I’d lean toward the more capable Ridgeline, but for our 13’ Scamp I’m now leaning toward the Maverick hybrid. A friend has a cactus gray XLT hybrid and gets around-town mileage in the mid-40’s. But he doesn’t tow.

I remain leery of Ford reliability, and they’re in the news this week, so I’ll wait until there’s a longer track record on that. By the time I’m ready to let go of our Pilot, there may well be more entries in this class. Success invites imitation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if its a FWD vehicle, thats pretty much a given, FWD is awful for towing, you need RWD/AWD to get traction under heavy load.

I'm rather surprised Ford brought the Maverick name back... the original 70s Maverick was an awful car.

I disagree on both counts.
Of course a Scamp is hardly a "heavy load" as towing goes!

My TC is a great TV for my Scamp, as was the Escape before it.

As for the Maverick... it was a great car at a bargain price.
Unfortunately prestige is often measured by price instead of design and engineering.
Many actually "awful cars" cost thousands more and still couldn't compare favorably to the Maverick.

The Maverick truck was first offered with the 4000 pound tow package in 2WD. The motive to force AWD into the package was profit in a tight market, not utility.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’ve yet to hear any member report buying one. My thoughts when I first saw it were (1) what took so long, (2) they nailed the styling (neither bland like the Ridgeline nor weird like the Santa Cruz, (3) the price is really attractive, and (4) this is right on the mark for the times.

Commercial reviews on towing were mixed. One I read said the hybrid did beautifully with a 1500# trailer but the 2.0L AWD struggled with a 3500# trailer. I think if I were planning to tow over 3000# I’d lean toward the more capable Ridgeline, but for our 13’ Scamp I’m now leaning toward the Maverick hybrid. A friend has a cactus gray XLT hybrid and gets around-town mileage in the mid-40’s. But he doesn’t tow.

I remain leery of Ford reliability, and they’re in the news this week, so I’ll wait until there’s a longer track record on that. By the time I’m ready to let go of our Pilot, there may well be more entries in this class. Success invites imitation.
Your "leary" is certainly unfounded. Ford still makes the most reliable vehicles in the industry.
For towing, buy the 2.0L/8spd, even with AWD it is a good choice.
The Hybrid does not offer the actual tow package and it comes with a gear type CVT in 2WD only.
Of course many folks prefer "imitations" to the genuine article!
Old 08-02-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Could you clarify what you mean by “gear type CVT”? It was my understanding that Ford was using an “eCVT” similar in design to Toyota’s “hybrid synergy drive.” That was one of the reasons I was considering it. It has a great track record (at least in Toyota’s hands) for durability, including towing service in the RAV4 and Highlander hybrids.

I admit I go back and forth, mainly because of the outstanding tow package available on the 2.0L AWD.

As to Ford’s overall reliability, our different biases are well established. I am always open to new information,, but the kinds of recalls that have been happening recently do not seem like the kind of new information I was hoping for.
Ford Hybrid Recall
Old 08-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Could you clarify what you mean by “gear type CVT”? It was my understanding that Ford was using an “eCVT” similar in design to Toyota’s “hybrid synergy drive.” That was one of the reasons I was considering it. It has a great track record (at least in Toyota’s hands) for durability, including towing service in the RAV4 and Highlander hybrids.

I admit I go back and forth, mainly because of the outstanding tow package available on the 2.0L AWD.

As to Ford’s overall reliability, our different biases are well established. I am always open to new information,, but the kinds of recalls that have been happening recently do not seem like the kind of new information I was hoping for.
Ford Hybrid Recall
Toyota has a similar design which means they have both abandoned the old school belt drive "snowmobile transmission"...
The old school CVTs are not like the hybrid eCVT. Most transmissions have planetary gear sets but the ratio change in old CVTs is done mostly by varying the sheave diameters that the belt rides in. Both the Toyota / Ford eCVTs have no sheaves or belts and are essentially in one high gear all the time and the torque and power transfer is controlled by electronically varying the torque on MG1, the motor-generator on the center "Sun gear" of the planetary gear. MG1 routinely turns in either direction as a motor or a generator and is precisely controlled to make these transmissions the smoothest ever. There is also little wear. The Ford eCVT architecture is different from Toyota where the MGs are on the same axis. Fords' MG2, the traction and regen braking device, axis is parallel to MG1 and the eCVT and connected by a gear train. It's considerably bigger and designed for higher power than the Toyota version

I was long retired before this transmission came into service, but I like the look of it. As for me and towing with the Maverick? I'd still choose the EcoBoost 2.0L /8spd automatic. While I lament the loss of the 2WD version I acknowledge the fact that most people would buy the AWD anyway.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Silverado
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Thanks
I don't know if they offered a tow package on a Maverick. Mine had the larger of the 3 different engines offered with the 250 cu.in. I don't remember how much horsepower but it could barely get out of it's own way not towing. Additionally the brakes were marginal at best. I wouldn't consider towing much with a Maverick. Try to find yourself a rust free Jeep Cherokee with the 4 liter in-line six. It is a work horse or just go with a more modern vehicle but don't plan on working on it yourself.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I don't know if they offered a tow package on a Maverick. Mine had the larger of the 3 different engines offered with the 250 cu.in. I don't remember how much horsepower but it could barely get out of it's own way not towing. Additionally the brakes were marginal at best. I wouldn't consider towing much with a Maverick. Try to find yourself a rust free Jeep Cherokee with the 4 liter in-line six. It is a work horse or just go with a more modern vehicle but don't plan on working on it yourself.
2022 Ford Maverick...
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Silverado
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
2022 Ford Maverick...
Imagine that! Thank you
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #14

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Imagine that! Thank you
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:23 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a 1972 Maverick, it was a glorified Falcon back then.....
Old 08-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
A Falcon Ranchero would be a cool looking tow vehicle.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #17

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

The new Maverick can be had in AWD with the 240HP Ecoboost engine. This engine/driveline option is $3K. The trailer tow package is rated at 4000 lbs and costs $740. This combination of just 2 options will easily and safely tow most of our fiberglass trailers especially with trailer brakes.

You can order a BASE Maverick XL with the AWD option and the trailer tow package at MSRP for less than $25K OUT THE DOOR!.

Probably for a small vehicle today in the above configuration one of if not the best deal out there for a basic transportation vehicle!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
My grandson ordered the Maverick Jan 2022 with the tow package.
Has heard nothing about when it will be delivered.
I cant even find one to look at or test drive.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
My grandson ordered the Maverick Jan 2022 with the tow package.
Has heard nothing about when it will be delivered.
I cant even find one to look at or test drive.
That’s everywhere. Every unit that arrives at a dealer is sold before it hits the lot. It seems like they are being flipped, too, with $10K markups.

It may take another year or two for demand and supply to even out, and by then there may well be new competition. I suspect there will be price creep as well that will put a damper on the demand.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
did a little more reading on this new Maverick. Its based on the same "C2" platform as the current Escape and Bronco Sport. FWD predominant even in the AWD version, the rear wheels engage when the front wheels slip. this means your transverse motor mounts are going to be pulling the load most of the time, so I'd definitely proactively watch those and plan on early replacement if using it for more than very occasional light towing. Unibody with an IRS rear end, probably not suitable for use with a WDH (although that is not definitive).

Ford towing guide 2022, says with option 53Q max 4000 lb towing. 1500 lb payload BEFORE ANY OPTIONS. Max 40 sq ft frontal area (so a Casita probably pushes that some, as 40 sq ft is 6.2 x 6.2 feet, an Escape 17 is probably too big)

GCWR for the Maverick with 53Q is 8145 lbs... You have to keep the trucks net weight below 8145 - weight of trailer, 3500 lbs gross for a number of the common smaller FG trailers, so 4645 lbs when towing a Casita or Scamp at its capacity (and in my experience, most trailers *are* at or near their GWR when packed for travel). Ford says a Maverick XLT AWD has a curb weight of 3,731, so that means with that 3500 lb trailer, you can carry 914 total lbs in the vehicle, that includes EVERYTHING you've added other than gasoline and coolant, including the hitch bar, and if you have any options above base XLT, then that's got to be adjusted.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote