Ford Steps Up On Maverick!! Well Done! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ford Steps Up On Maverick!! Well Done!

So Ford was selling 2WD Mavericks with a 4,000 optional tow rating. Their engineers determined that was a mistake, that you really. needed 4WD as well.

So what did Ford do? They upgraded all Mavericks on order with the optional tow package to 4WD at no cost!

Not always a Ford fan-boy, but this was really great to take ownership of the mistake.

Well done Ford!

Of course, its too late to get "free" 4WD as they upgraded orders they already had in hand.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-pay...124400893.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
That’s very impressive! There’s only been a few times that I’ve seen corporate America step up like that
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I call BS!!

Too bad that they would make false excuses to eliminate the perfect set-up for towing a fiberglass trailer, simply based on limited sales.
Obviously this was a marketing decision not an engineering decision.
They just turned a $300 option into $2500 for no good reason

Kinda blocks me out from ever buying a Maverick.

If it were an honest decision they could have simply and unnecessarily derated the 2WD version to 3500 pounds, like many of the other vehicles they have offered.
The 2wd version passed muster or it never would have been offered in the first place.
If I had ordered one, I would refuse the offer and insist that they build what they promised... short of that I would cancel my order or start litigation.

There does remain one option however, buy the 4plug then upgrade through the parts dept or the aftermarket. Not optimal but doable.

If they had pulled a stunt like this on the Ranger, I would still be driving my 2001.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Based on the price differential between FWD and AWD in other small unibody vehicles, Ford’s AWD upgrade is significantly overpriced.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Based on the price differential between FWD and AWD in other small unibody vehicles, Ford’s AWD upgrade is significantly overpriced.
Remember the 2.0L /8spd is required to get AWD and the base truck is the Hybrid.

I would only buy the 2.0L /8spd 2WD and a tow package, otherwise I will keep my TC for 12 more years.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember the 4.0L /8spd is required to get AWD and the base truck is the Hybrid.

I would only buy the 4.0L /8spd 2WD and a tow package, otherwise I will keep my TC for 12 more years.
I knew that, but still, maybe you’re right. Seems like every time I visit the configurator, the choices and numbers are a little different. But the $3300 I was remembering may be for both the engine and drivetrain upgrade. $1500-2000 seems like the going price for AWD in compact utility vehicles.

BTW, it’s a 2.0L… thinking of the old Ranger 4.0L, maybe?
Old 09-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Where I live, everyone (except me) buys a 4WD truck. 2WD is super rare, and typically its from outside the area.

Do we need 4WD here? Heck no, but buyers are convinced they MUST have it.

4WD options are often $2K or more, sometimes a lot more. Adding 4WD to the Ranger is about $3,900. So I don't think their pricing is out of line. Adding AWD (not 4WD) to a KIA is a $2,000 option. Many vehicles have a higher tow rating for the 4WD version. My rear wheel drive F150 has done a fine job as a tow vehicle.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Where I live, everyone (except me) buys a 4WD truck. 2WD is super rare, and typically its from outside the area.

Do we need 4WD here? Heck no, but buyers are convinced they MUST have it.

4WD options are often $2K or more, sometimes a lot more. Adding 4WD to the Range is about $3,900. So I don't think their pricing is out of line. Adding AWD (not 4WD) to a KIA is a $2,000 option. Many vehicles have a higher tow rating for the 4WD version.
I am more used to Honda snd Toyota products. In their compact utility class, it’s a $1500 upgrade. In the larger Pilot, the 4WD option includes a locking mode and runs $2000.

When towing with a FWD vehicle, I’ve been in several situations (all on gravel back roads) where FWD lost traction going up a grade. RWD, especially with an ant-spin rear differential, is a different proposition. I think Ford’s decision makes sense. 4000# towing in a FWD vehicle is an outlier.

I agree with Floyd, though. No reason they couldn’t have continued to offer the tow package on the FWD with a reduced rating.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I knew that, but still, maybe you’re right. Seems like every time I visit the configurator, the choices and numbers are a little different. But the $3300 I was remembering may be for both the engine and drivetrain upgrade. $1500-2000 seems like the going price for AWD in compact utility vehicles.

BTW, it’s a 2.0L… thinking of the old Ranger 4.0L, maybe?
I corrected the error, thank you.

I really don't have an excuse!
Old 09-28-2021, 03:34 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
No reason they couldn’t have continued to offer the tow package on the FWD with a reduced rating.
Over the years all those options have become standard equipment, most of which I would not have purchased given the choice. But the one thing I would like to have had was heated mirrors. Getting ice off mirrors is a chore. But heated mirrors were always a $2000 option that for some reason couldn't be had without leather seats. There was a time when if your new Ford truck had an AM radio and you didn't want it, Ford would remove it and give you a credit. Progress!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
That’s very impressive! There’s only been a few times that I’ve seen corporate America step up like that
Especially Ford. Remember when the found they needed a 3" wider track on the Explorer to cure the rollover problem? They jumped right on it - NOT!
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
Especially Ford. Remember when the found they needed a 3" wider track on the Explorer to cure the rollover problem? They jumped right on it - NOT!
Simplistic conjecture, in response to hyperbole.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Over the years all those options have become standard equipment, most of which I would not have purchased given the choice. But the one thing I would like to have had was heated mirrors. Getting ice off mirrors is a chore. But heated mirrors were always a $2000 option that for some reason couldn't be had without leather seats. There was a time when if your new Ford truck had an AM radio and you didn't want it, Ford would remove it and give you a credit. Progress!
Hi: Raz... The blue oval always was a bit of a "Maverick".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote