Front hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Front hitch

I put a front hitch on my F-150. Maybe a bike rack or some kind of carrier. I am going to have to weld up some sort of riser because my 2WD is lower than most trucks. I could also put a winch on it. The tongue weight is 500# and the tow is 5000#. This is an accessory in search of purpose. Sometimes I don't know why I do things.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20201022_16_53_37_Rich.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I built an aluminum box to carry my generator there. Had a flip-down front and lid for ventilation. Worked great during ski season!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Before welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I put a front hitch on my F-150. Maybe a bike rack or some kind of carrier. I am going to have to weld up some sort of riser because my 2WD is lower than most trucks. I could also put a winch on it. The tongue weight is 500# and the tow is 5000#. This is an accessory in search of purpose. Sometimes I don't know why I do things.
Check this page.
https://www.etrailer.com/search/2+Inch+Hitch+Riser
Attached Thumbnails
canvas.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Been considering installing a front hitch on my F150. Main reason to maneuver my trailer in my backyard, to get it into a tight spot (dedicated carport). You can find hitches that are bolt on for a reasonable price.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Been considering installing a front hitch on my F150. Main reason to maneuver my trailer in my backyard, to get it into a tight spot (dedicated carport). You can find hitches that are bolt on for a reasonable price.

That was my original intent but now that I realize how high my tongue weight is I don't know if I can do it. Plus it will be hard to hitch up without a camera. I will have to try in my yard pretty soon though.

When I am home I use an old rat of a tractor that I welded a receiver to the weight rack in the front. The older Massy gets a little light in the back when I do that with the BigFoot though.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Counter

Quote:
That was my original intent but now that I realize how high my tongue weight is I don't know if I can do it. Plus it will be hard to hitch up without a camera. I will have to try in my yard pretty soon though.

When I am home I use an old rat of a tractor that I welded a receiver to the weight rack in the front. The older Massy gets a little light in the back when I do that with the BigFoot though.
Do you have fluid in the tires. If not that might be an option. I have fluid in the rear tires on my New Holland for moving snow or rock with the 6 foot wide bucket. It’s not tippy even when the loader is up high.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

Massachusetts
No, no fluid. I'm not a big fan of that because sooner or later you will have to change a tire.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Tractor weights

Quote:
The older Massy gets a little light in the back when I do that with the BigFoot though.
Keep an eye (or set a search) on Craigs list farm and garden for used wheel weights. They are common here in the mid west.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:44 AM   #9

Massachusetts
New England is pathetic for farm equipment. A few of my neighbors trek out to NY and PA for things they can't find around here.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom; don't you have a hitch on the rear of your tractor ? Two of my tractors have loaded tires, the old Farmall H still has calcium in them, which always seems to somehow leak and rot out the rims. My Ford 2000 has the non corrosive liquid which I think may be based on beet juice. Both of those tractors have 2" balls on the drawbar.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Weight

Quote:
No, no fluid. I'm not a big fan of that because sooner or later you will have to change a tire.
On some tractors we had in the parks we would get a 15 gallon gear lube metal barrel, a solid steel bar with ends to couple to the lower bars in the three point was welded in place. On end. Then the barrel was filled with concrete, the lid cut out to fit over the one end was then welded in place. Once the concrete cured you had a removable counterweight that did not cost much. They lasted for years and were transferable to other tractors and just stored out of the way when the three point was needed. A few transverse pieces of rebar welted to the through steel bar gave the concrete something to tie to. We made these in the winter when the average citizen wondered what we did all winter. I would hand out an answer sheet with about 25 different responses for the employees to use when asked that question. It always started with paint picnic tables and ended with play euchre. It was good for morale but not so good for public relations. But it was true.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Tom; don't you have a hitch on the rear of your tractor ? Two of my tractors have loaded tires, the old Farmall H still has calcium in them, which always seems to somehow leak and rot out the rims. My Ford 2000 has the non corrosive liquid which I think may be based on beet juice. Both of those tractors have 2" balls on the drawbar.
When I worked in the rental yard which was secondary to the lumber yard all of our equipment was moved around with a small fork lift with a ball on one of the bars. that really spoiled me for sitting nice and straight in a seat and not all twisted around while moving equipment.

To put a receiver in the right way in the rear of the Massy I would have to weld up a whole 3 point set up. So sticking a square tube from Harbor freight in the front was a lot easier. If I had an H I would have put a ball on the ridged drawbar.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #13

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
I put a front hitch on my Tundra and use it a lot more than I thought I would.

#1. Winch
#2. Bike Rack but it does impede my vision while driving
#3. Cargo Rack great for gas cans
#4. Flag Pole holder when I'm in a campground
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: Cruiser RV
Mustang
Quote:
I put 1.5” spacers under front coil springs for a permanent fix. Which also leveled my truck. I have not had any problems with that setup, other than I had to have front end realigned.
Okie Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Wanderer View Post
I put 1.5” spacers under front coil springs for a permanent fix. Which also leveled my truck. I have not had any problems with that setup, other than I had to have front end realigned.
Now that is a thought. With no load the rear is probably up that 1.5".
Old 11-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #16

Name: Kjetil
Trailer: Escape 17A
United States
Don't get the extra thing???

Quote:

Hi Mr. Thomas-

I feel like I am missing something here. I don't know squat about BigFoots (BigFeet?), and hence nothing about typical tongue weights, but the need for a bunch of extra front ballast in order to implement a front hitch... I just don't understand.

PLZ help me out here.
Kjetil
Kjetil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #17

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil View Post
Hi Mr. Thomas-

I feel like I am missing something here. I don't know squat about BigFoots (BigFeet?), and hence nothing about typical tongue weights, but the need for a bunch of extra front ballast in order to implement a front hitch... I just don't understand.

PLZ help me out here.
Kjetil
One of us misunderstood. I understood that a weight rack (not the weights themselves) was added up front to function as a receiver of sorts. The trailer's tongue weight was enough to lighten the sassy massy's rear end. Maybe I misunderstood.

I move the Casita 17 with my Bolens and its rear hitch. I do have rear wheel weights for the two stage snowthrower, but leave them on year-round. The Bolens rear hitch is pretty close in to the axle line so there's not much leverage of the Casita's tongue weight to try to lighten the front.
Jon MB
Oh, I also have the battery from the Casita on a rear 'rack' to add a bit more counterbalance to off-set the two stage way out front. (win)
That and a set of jumpers to the little garden tractor battery under the hood to assure enough glow plug heat and then cranking to fire up the three-pot Mitsu diesel engine. (win win)
Assures the camper battery gets periodically charged through the winter as well. (Win win win)
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
FRONT HITCH

I've always install a front hitch on all my trucks. Current F-150 is used mostly for carrying bikes. Doesn't restrict road vision and love having eyes on the bike when traveling.

Take care...
JOHN BUSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Using these I can hook up my camper & truck using my front hitch.

Camco Magnetic Hitch Alignment Kit - Helps You Align Your Hitch | Each Guide Extends Up To 50" for Easy Viewing | System Works With Virtually Any Tow Vehicle and Trailer - (44603)
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote