Getting conflicting info from VW on towing capacity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Why not buy a small utility trailer with a cover and tent it . This addresses all of your concerns . good luck
Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm not specifically directing this to the original poster, but it seems a little like asking your mom for something and if you don’t like the answer, ask your dad. I’ve observed that because someone really, really, really wants to do something, it trumps physics. I mean, after all, they’re really not laws of physics…they’re just, you know, sort of guidelines.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kVox42 View Post
I've already discovered - since yesterday - that (at least according to Can-Am), a hitch-is not a hitch-is not a hitch. Now I have to find someone locally who can install a hitch on MY vehicle to pull MY trailer and do it to provide the least wear on the car and the trailer AND the greatest efficiency and safety. As I might have suspected, this is turning into a less simple process than I was aware of.
Yup! Thats a fact.

For one thing you will have a real tough time finding a hitch that is in all ways the same as what they use in Europe. As far as I am aware what Can-Am puts on it will not even be the same as what would put on it in Europe.

Secondly should you actually find a hitch that is the same as the one they use on the car in Europe its a good bet they will need to butcher up the rear bumper area of your car in order to install it. Yes another difference between your car and the ones sold in Europe is the bumper in order to meet DOT requirements in NA.

Thirdly you can expect to pay a couple of thousand dollars for the hitch install, assuming you eventually actually find one that is in all ways the same hitch.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Kevin. I believe you have an impressive TV providing it is set up right. There are many factors that come into safe towing and a big one is getting the connection and set up right.

The Euro hitches are nothing to write home about. A pro custom is so much more substantial and if engineered and installed correctly will give you the best results even when considering the upgrade to a WDH.

Best of luck with the venture of setting up the TDI.

Euro

Pro custom
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru Hitch.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #25

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I am guessing that Bruce Jenner also drove for many years without problems, until yesterday. Watch and see what happens there.
Brian Williams was in the Escalade with Bruce. He will be a very credible witness. The other car came out of "nowhere"
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #26
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
This topic, once again, seems to have run its course (and is becoming repetitious). Thanks all for participating.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread