Getting new axle for 1979 scamp- is this estimate a rip off? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #41

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Back corner of most suv and mini van type vehicles there is a junction box to hook in the trailer lights. One may have to purchase a $25 box to "split" the wire signals since many cars don't run individual wires but send a signal to the light that is to be turned on or flash. But typically the plugs are there at the rear for the basic 4 wires of the trailer lights. Running/Brake/Left & Right turn.

What a non-tow package vehicle won't have is trailer brake line or camper battery charging wire. Essentiall a 10 gauge blue wire and black wire that will be run from the engine compartment to the trailer plug and cable tied to whatever is under the vehicle to hang the wire from. Often will follow and be attached to fuel line, should not be attached to brake line. pretty much it for that job.

I just bought the parts and pieces to do a complete install from eTrailer for around $75 not counting the Prodigy 2 brake controller which would have been about another $100.

If you needed the whole do-it-yourself kit it was less than $100 with wire. I had a cheaper source of wire, my shed full of junk.

It appears that there may well be a wiring kit specific to your vehicle see this link https://www.etrailer.com/p-22117.htm...=Grand+Caravan I wasn't able to select right year or specific model but for a 2014 Grand Caravan the plugs are there. Just no factory wires plugged in, so you buy the wiring harness.

If you run a power wire to plug in order to charge trailer battery while you drive that requires a way to disconnect automatically when you shut off car. Those devices run $25 to $45 for solid state ones, some cars have a fuse box connection for a 40 amp accessory circuit.

Video of installing kit wire on Dodge Caravan https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...van-90885.aspx

If you scroll down near the bottom of this page there is a diagram and video on installing https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...details=videos

Use the year/make/model to set to your vehicle and the parts and videos will be your vehicle or closest they have.

Honestly most handy folks can do the whole job or most of it. Or know someone who can. The local U-Haul & rental place would charge $200 to install my equipment.

I may have my auto mechanic finish the under dash connection because frankly I find it hard to get in those positions any more. And he already knows which wire to connect to what to wire in the last two wires of the controller. The rest I'll probably do but I have been losing tools and breaking stuff since I was 8 years old so I can't make myself pay $200 to string some wires.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp service

I have an advantage in that I am only about hour from the Backus Scamp plant. I have had service there three times. Once for an AC install and a new Fiamma awning. another trip to have my wiring serviced. My last trip was to have my fridge tweaked. They were always very fair and of course knowledgeable. It helps if you bring doughnuts from Tom Hortons.
John
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #43

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
... It helps if you bring doughnuts from Tom Hortons.
John
Is it Tom or Tim Hortons.. I'm going to Evelands soon for service and I have to get the right doughnuts!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I'm not sure the installation charge is high.. its a lot of work.

But I do think they should be specific about what parts they are using.. they should list the make and model of major items like the brake controller. Otherwise we cannot evaluate. A small markup is fair but they do need to use a good proportional controller.
I suppose it depends on the tow vehicle. My old Mercury Mountaineer needed wires run under the hood for the brake controller. But my '08 Lexus GX470 was simple: plug in the controller, attach a ground wire to some metal, and mount the controller with 2 screws into the dash.... worth maybe $20 in labor?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
$200 just to install a brake controller seems high - its just 2 screws?
What are you towing with?

Why cant they weld on brackets then bolt on the axle?

It's MORE than just 2 screws...there is wiring from front to rear involved. However an hour should handle it!
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I suppose it depends on the tow vehicle. ...
Of course it does. And OP has a Toyota Sienna therefore how hard or easy it is to set up other tow vehicles is not pertinent. As I mentioned, I did all the work on my 2015 Sienna and I can tell you there are no provisions for a brake controller, trailer lights, charge line, or anything electrical related to hooking up a trailer. Therefore there is considerable labor involved as well the parts needed. Once you see how much labor it takes, the quote sounds more reasonable. To see what is involved for the Sienna see:

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...na-c56106.aspx

and

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...nna-39510.aspx

To OP.. if you don't want to tap into the brake switch (as shown in the second video at 25:50 mark) then you could have your shop just wire a standard 7 pin connector for the trailer and use a wireless brake controller. The controller itself would be more expensive but it would save you some labor cost. A few options include:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html

and

https://getautowbrake.com/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #47

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
a good trailer shop

a good trailer shop has seen it all done it all in their time. done the first one always takes some time.

my mechanic knocked off the trailer wiring on my ford edge in 15ms. I looked at it closed everything down ran it to him and gave him 50bux in cash and went on my way!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #48

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
a good trailer shop has seen it all done it all in their time. done the first one always takes some time.

my mechanic knocked off the trailer wiring on my ford edge in 15ms. I looked at it closed everything down ran it to him and gave him 50bux in cash and went on my way!

bob

15 milli-seconds is pretty fast.....
Or was it 15 Metres per second.

Either way - its fast!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #49

Missouri
nice thought

abbreeavation for minutes as in ms!

make any sense to you?

bob
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #50

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
We are doing the trailer part, but I’m taking the sienna to my local trusted auto repair shop for an estimate today on the wiring- probably will go there even if it’s the same cost.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #51

Missouri
keep us posted

is he hooking up your el brakes and trailer lights? keep us posted

bob
Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #52

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
is he hooking up your el brakes and trailer lights? keep us posted

bob
Yes- I was unclear. By “we are doing” I meant”we are having done by this shop the”.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #53

Colorado
Registry
Oh, and yes my mechanic is happy to set up the sineema for all of that if that was the question. I called and asked if they did it, and they said all the time. We live in a more rural area, so that probably helps.

Tags
axle, scamp