Good tow vehicle for 2500 lb empty weight camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #21

Name: Benny
Trailer: shopping around
Florida
A Ford Ranger was not designed as a tow vehicle. I hope that that has not deterred you from considering another Ford vehicle. You mentioned that you did not want a truck, which is good. But, Ford has several vehicles that could meet your needs. I personally have a 2015 F-159 with the 2.7 Eco-boost engine. I pull a 8400 # Travel trailer with it and as long as i don't get lead footed with it, i get reasonable gas mileage. Reason that i am so hot on Ford is that i am a Ford retiree and have been buying Fords all of my adult life and never have i had one that was a lemon.
Benelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #22

Name: J
Isle of Wight
We tow our Bigfoot 17 with a 2017 RWD V6 Durango.
(must have factory tow package) Works for us.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Once again, I point out that the engineers designing tow vehicles are ultra conservative. You can confidently pull a loaded trailer at and over the rated towing capacity. You just need to learn how to downshift on hills, up and down,
use engine braking, stay out of "overdrive" the highest gear.
It's hard to agree with this statement when you consider the hp, gross weight and towing capacity race the industry is in right now. Saying the engineers are being "ultra conservative" when they rate the truck to pull more than twice it's own weight just doesn't seem "conservative" to me. Nor does the notion that the driver needs to apply special driving techniques to keep the truck from self destructing, or getting out of control while towing.

When towing something more than twice the weight of the tow vehicle, there is no room for error with traction, cornering, or braking. I feel quite comfortable towing about 2/3 the weight of the truck, but recently I had to tow at about 150% of my trucks weight and it was way different. 200% would not be what I would consider conservative. And declaring that someone can confidently go beyond that ratio, in the hills, is not what I would consider good advice.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Honda Pilot with 5k tow package.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It's hard to agree with this statement when you consider the hp, gross weight and towing capacity race the industry is in right now. Saying the engineers are being "ultra conservative" when they rate the truck to pull more than twice it's own weight just doesn't seem "conservative" to me. Nor does the notion that the driver needs to apply special driving techniques to keep the truck from self destructing, or getting out of control while towing.

When towing something more than twice the weight of the tow vehicle, there is no room for error with traction, cornering, or braking. I feel quite comfortable towing about 2/3 the weight of the truck, but recently I had to tow at about 150% of my trucks weight and it was way different. 200% would not be what I would consider conservative. And declaring that someone can confidently go beyond that ratio, in the hills, is not what I would consider good advice.
I tend to agree with Raspy . My neighbor tried towing his 8900 lb dry weight trailer with his toyota vehicle rated for 10,000 lbs towing . The vehicle could move the trailer but that’s the kindest thing I can say .
All the truck manufacturers overrate their vehicles towing capacity and payload capacity IMHO .
They must assume that no one would be foolish enough to pull a 12,000 lb trailer with a 5000lb vehicle
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
To Steve Carlson’s comment “do you really load up your trailer with 1000 pounds of stuff?”

In my case it starts with the options. Front storage box, AC, thermopane windows, awning, etc. Then the usual stuff not included in dry weight like a battery, propane and water. Finally you have my stuff.

Since I run out of payload way before tow capacity, a lot of stuff ends up in the trailer like my tools.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #27

Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelum View Post
A Ford Ranger was not designed as a tow vehicle. I hope that that has not deterred you from considering another Ford vehicle. You mentioned that you did not want a truck, which is good. But, Ford has several vehicles that could meet your needs. I personally have a 2015 F-159 with the 2.7 Eco-boost engine. I pull a 8400 # Travel trailer with it and as long as i don't get lead footed with it, i get reasonable gas mileage. Reason that i am so hot on Ford is that i am a Ford retiree and have been buying Fords all of my adult life and never have i had one that was a lemon.
I've owned quite a few Fords and I like them. However, Ford is not good at keeping parts available. I once waited for almost 6 weeks for the rubber tube that drains the AC through the firewall because the dealer butchered it when replacing my heater core. I finally gave up because the part never came. I've also had problems getting other parts. I keep cars 20+ years. Recently I went into the dealership to check on the price on a part for my 96 ford ranger 3.0L. The person behind the counter screwed around looking at endless computer screens for at least 10 minutes ans she then concluded that ford never made a ford ranger with a 3.0L engine. I believe it was the most popular engine choice in 1996.

Sooooo, I'm hesitant to buy a used ford anything for that reason. Ford still produces great vehicles but my experience with customer service after the sale has not been good. In fact, I could fill a page with the issues I've had.
John_M_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #28

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_1 View Post
I've also had problems getting other parts. I keep cars 20+ years. Recently I went into the dealership to check on the price on a part for my 96 ford ranger 3.0L. The person behind the counter screwed around looking at endless computer screens for at least 10 minutes ans she then concluded that ford never made a ford ranger with a 3.0L engine. I believe it was the most popular engine choice in 1996.
Don't you know you're not supposed to keep cars that long! And you get punished if you do!

It sounds like when I tried to get brake pads for the rear of my Taurus and the parts guys kept telling me they never had rear disk brakes. I kept suggesting they simply look at the rear rotors that were plainly visible. "Nope, never had them". Don't get me started on the power steering hoses.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
2017 Escape 21

360 lbs dry tongue weight per specifications, rated at 699 lbs maximum
3,210 lbs dry weight per specifications, rated at 5,000 lbs maximum

3,735 lbs dry weight as delivered with selected options including dual batteries, AC, awning, insulation package, microwave, tall cabinet option, etc., etc.

On the road:
4,050 lbs axle weight
540 lbs tongue weight
4,590 lbs Escape 21 total laden weight

The JGC's have varying tow ratings depending on how they are equipped. Our 2017 had the maximum available tow rating available with a gas engine (5.7L), at 720 / 7,200 lbs tongue / tow.

Towing as noted above, with two people, jackets, small bags of gear, and the 540 lbs of tongue weight, we were under all of the rating limits for the vehicle including payload, individual axle weights, etc. Our margins below the various maximum ratings ranged from 150 to 550 lbs. I probably "expected" more margin, but it is what it is.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelum View Post
I beg to differ on that the Ranger is not designed as a tow vehicle.
My last two had high tow ratings and were very competent and stable tow vehicles.
My new Ranger has a 7500# tow rating in addition to an 1860# payload and a GCVR rating of 12500#.
OH! And a 4CYL EcoBoost mated to A 10Spd automatic... A combination which rivals your truck in capability
The 2.7L, 6SPD in the F150 is a great tow vehicle, so that's saying
something!

My 2001 Ranger which handled every trailer attached to it for 18years, including Car trailers, was just sold still ready to continue doing the job.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #31

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Non-obvious possibility: Kia Borrego V8.

I agree about the difficulty of finding good used Toyotas on a budget.

Ford Expedition has a fairly good reliability reputation. Might be worth keeping on the radar.
Hi Jon,

LOL, thanks for sharing some Borrego Love! Laura and I have camped 170 nights since March, 2016 in our ‘05 Casita 17” Freedom Deluxe and towed the Casita with our ‘09 Kia Borrego V8 2WD rated at 335 HP and 325 lb ft of torque averaging 13 mpg. We have towed approximately 15,000 miles with it. I consider it a 4-Runner wannabe! Luckily, the Kia deprecation made it MUCH more affordable than the used 4-Runner.

Take care,

Dean
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dean, you’re the one I was thinking of when I posted that. Wouldn’t have been on my radar otherwise. Glad you chimed in and your Borrego is continuing to give good service.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I beg to differ on that the Ranger is not designed as a tow vehicle.
My last two had high tow ratings and were very competent and stable tow vehicles.
My new Ranger has a 7500# tow rating in addition to an 1860# payload and a GCVR rating of 12500#.
OH! And a 4CYL EcoBoost mated to A 10Spd automatic... A combination which rivals your truck in capability
The 2.7L, 6SPD in the F150 is a great tow vehicle, so that's saying
something!

My 2001 Ranger which handled every trailer attached to it for 18years, including Car trailers, was just sold still ready to continue doing the job.
Floyd , was the new Ford Ranger with the 4 cyl Ecoboost designed to tow or is it capable of towing ? Products are often capable of doing a task even though they were not designed for that task or that was not their intented purpose
My wife’s Pontiac G6 is rated to tow 1000 lbs ( Owners Manual ) even though it was not designed or built for towing according to the manufacturer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Floyd , was the new Ford Ranger with the 4 cyl Ecoboost designed to tow or is it capable of towing ? Products are often capable of doing a task even though they were not designed for that task or that was not their intented purpose
My wife’s Pontiac G6 is rated to tow 1000 lbs ( Owners Manual ) even though it was not designed or built for towing according to the manufacturer .

Its a real truck (not a G6) with a factory tow package. The specs above speak for themselves and should answer your question. It also has more hauling and towing capability than many recent or contemporary full sized pick-ups.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #35

Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Don't you know you're not supposed to keep cars that long! And you get punished if you do!

It sounds like when I tried to get brake pads for the rear of my Taurus and the parts guys kept telling me they never had rear disk brakes. I kept suggesting they simply look at the rear rotors that were plainly visible. "Nope, never had them". Don't get me started on the power steering hoses.
Taking care of expensive machines was my career for about 15 years. You can keep a machine running a long time if you take care of it and do the required routine maintenance. Most people just wait for something to break and then get it fixed at great expense. Its much cheaper to do the maintenance.
John_M_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
If I was going to tow a Casita with a SUV, it would be the 4.0L V6 4Runner with the tow package, great drive train. The older 3.4L is not near as good power.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #37

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Nissan Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For a trailer with a listed dry weight in the 2500-3000# range, I’d expect an optioned and loaded weight in the 3500-4500# range with 400-500# hitch weight. A vehicle with a tow rating of 5000/500# would be the least you should consider. If the trailer has a large, boxy profile, if you plan to tow much in the mountains, and/or if you carry a lot of gear, something with 6000-7000# would give you a more comfortable margin.

The Jeep V8 sounds like a good choice for maximum flexibility. I like that it has a RWD-based chassis. Durango is another option. A V8 isn’t that much less economical when towing or highway cruising. You’ll definitely feel some pain if you do much city driving or commuting.

My personal choice would be a Toyota 4Runner or Sequoia, depending on the trailer. The 4Runner will pull a Casita 17 or Escape 17 nicely, but for the larger Bigfoot 17.5 or Escape 19 I’d rather have a Sequoia.
I have a Nissan Frontier and I pull a 20 foot 5th wheel and it pulls perfect
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #38

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Folks......

Just to add to the list of valid options. I've been comfortably towing a Casita Liberty 17 for over 3 years with a Hyundai Santa Fe V6, rated at 5000 lbs. In that time have successfully covered terrain from Bakersfield, CA to Bar Harbor, to Tampa, FL.....and much in between. Adequate power, though not with the abandon of a V8 truck. The certified used 100 K driveline warranty is comforting....but hasn't been necessary to use. One has to install a brake control and 7 way plug.....and hitch receiver. Value prices, and I suggest well worth a look for those 3500 lbs. or under.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #39

Name: Richard
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
We just finished a 6300 mile trip towing a 2018 Parkliner with a Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel and it did very well, averaged 18 mpg. We towed from NC to Zion, Yellowstone and various places in between. The Jeep has a towing capacity of 7200lbs and tongue weight rating of 720lbs.
Richard Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #40

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
As a point of reference on one end of the spectrum, we tow a 2800lb trailer with an 7700lb Excursion diesel (biggest SUV Ford ever made) and it still dances around in windy conditions when driving over 60mph.

If you have an Ford Excursion that "Dances Around in windy conditions over 60 MPH" towing a 2800 lb trailer you have some serious worn suspension components, worn out shocks, totally improperly loaded trailer and/or cheap/worn tires on your truck.

An Excursion with proper stock suspension components, good E rated tires and a properly loaded trailer will go 80 MPH pulling an 8K-10K lb trailer effortlessly all day long with no sway attachment in the wind.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight