Grease Leaking from Metal End Cap on 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
California
Grease Leaking from Metal End Cap on 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel

Hi All, We recently bought a 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel and axle grease appears to be leaking out from one of the metal end caps. I've taken off the rubber plugs from both sides of the axle and there is grease in the area around the Zerk fitting on both sides, but it only leaks from the one side. The leaking grease makes a mess around the outside wheel well when driving. Is this just a bad metal end cap that can be easily replaced or does it indicate a problem with the grease seal on the hub or something else I should be worried about? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Jeff
jcellis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like it just got over greased. What you don't want is for so much grease to be put in that it is coming out of the grease (wheel) seal that seals the assembly to the spindle on the inside of the hub. When that happens it gets on the brake shoes and ruins them plus it may cause the wheel to lock up. It is difficult to tell for sure because that seal is inside the brake durm assembly. If you are mechanical you can remove the tire then remove the hub by taking off the large castle nut in the center of the hub, the one with the cotter pin. You can do that without having to replace the seal. You can go to the Dexter axle web site and find diagrams that illustrate how it is all put together. Check for any grease inside the brake drum or on the shoes. When you replace the castle nut tighten it until it is snug then back off (loosen) 1/8th TO 1/6th turn to the first notch where you can insert the cotter pin. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN A CASTLE NUT. It would probably be a good idea to inspect or have the bearings and brakes inspected and serviced and new grease seals put in on all the wheels. That should be done anyway when you get a trailer and you are not sure about the service history.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

California
Thanks, Bruce

The previous owner told be that the seals had been replaced about 1000 miles before I purchased the Scamp. I think I'll open it up to make sure the grease isn't leaking on the breaks, replace the cap, and see if that solves the problem. I was thinking that it had been over greased but appreciate the confirmation and extra information from you.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A 2005 Scamp will have an EZ lube axle. The chamber which is sealed by the rubber plug in the dust cover is designed to receive the excess grease produced by using the EZ lube properly when applying grease. Once greased the full chamber should have much of the excess grease removed by simply scooping some of it out with your fingertip. Done right, it is simply impossible to over grease an EZ Lube.
If you do not remove some of the excess grease it will naturally leak to some degree when it reaches adequate temperature to liquify in a full chamber.
I have also seen the dust cover leak after it had been damaged by improperly removal. Remove the Dust cover and inspect it for screwdriver punctures just under the lip, or disfigured or out of round at the rubber seal or the interface at the hub.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

California
Thanks, Floyd

I will scoop out the excess grease and check the cap for dings. I suspect that it will need replacing. Will also take the trailer in for new seals, etc., just to be on the safe side.

I just joined the forum and am very impressed with the help and advice that I have received. Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Could the bearings be to hot?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It would seem that the grease shouldn't be liquid enough to leak out. Might that indicate a problem?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Helite
Bad bearings will heat up and thin the grease.

To much grease will cause it to sling out on both the inside and outside of the rim.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Any one of above could be the cause

If new seals were recently installed and this has started since then, check your grease seals. I once helped a guy at a campground experiencing the same issues. When I checked his grease seals that just recently had been installed at a RV service center, we found them to have been installed backwards. Always best to do your own work. It may take you longer than it does a service center, but when you are done, you know it was done correctly.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, did you happen to touch the wheel when you were pulling it?
get into the habit of giving each wheel hub a little love pat everytime you stop. this way if its getting warm you will know right away.
that could cause thin grease, and the stains you mention.
could be caused by bad bearings,,,or even improper greasing
seals could be bad, clean it off and watch to see if it does it again.
jack it up and see if the wheels spin properly...or do you have to use two hands to turn it? bearing could be over tightened by a sasquatch wearing mechanics overalls.

or it could just be some neanderthal was just too hammer happy and bent the little silver cap so bad it leaks all on its own. this would be aggravated by the same cave dwelling knuckle dragging oaf pumping so much grease into it that back preasure squirted it out.
of course any pergerative or otherwise less then flattering pronouns i may have used apply only to profesional mechanics.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
or,,,listen to floyd,,,,he seems to know what he's talkin bout
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #12

California
Hub not hot--Thanks everyone

I have towed it short distances and felt the hubs. They have not been hot at all. I'm going to scoop out the grease and check the cap as Floyd suggests. On close inspection I can see that there is grease coming out at two spots on the cap. I think I've got a handle on the problem.
Thanks to you all for the discussion and assistance!

Tags
scamp