Grease your Dexter Axle bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Name: Allen
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Grease your Dexter Axle bearings

I am a do-it-yourself 'er and wanted to share with you all how I grease my wheel bearings on my Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe travel trailer. View the video of this on my YouTube channel.
allenfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I clicked on link to YouTube. Took me to rivet vid not grease vid. Good stuff anyway. Thanks for making the vid abt Casita
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I clicked on link to YouTube. Took me to rivet vid not grease vid. ...
Correct link:

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks, watched the grease video.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I pull the hubs, wash the bearings in my parts washer, inspect them and all the brake parts, and hand pack the bearings. I'm going to refer a friend to this video as he just had a bearing failure on a Dexter axle that is only a few years old. That caused him a couple days waiting for service and parts. I know he did no service at all since owning the trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #6

Tennessee
Pulling the hubs is prob the best way, but greasing as described and suggested by the EZ lub hubs works ok. Faster and much easier.

Lots of discussion of this on other threads.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Pulling the hubs is prob the best way, but greasing as described and suggested by the EZ lub hubs works ok. Faster and much easier.

Lots of discussion of this on other threads.
I'm with you. Pulling the hubs, inspecting and greasing the bearings, along with replacing the grease seals is a better way to do this than just pumping more grease in. Simply and always just pumping more grease in prevents any seal replacement or bearing inspection.

The pressure in the hub will definitely go up on the highway when completely full of grease and eventually the seals will leak. Then the shoes will be ruined and you will have a much bigger mess.

When bearings are re-packed in the normal way, there is only grease in the bearings and the hub is left empty. This prevents leakage by keeping the pressure under control and not having a huge excess of grease in there. Any grease outside of the actual bearings is extra and wasted. If a seal fails, the amount leaked is too small to matter and will be caught next time the bearings are re-packed.

Re-packing is kind of a hassle, but doesn't need to be done very often. Dexter's recommendation for this is very cautious and probably way more than actually needed unless the wheels get submerged. Not saying you should not follow Dexter's recomendations, but bearings are a lot more tolerant than most give them credit for. Just be sure you use good quality bearings and seals.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Dexter Axcel Lubrication

Here a link to Dexter's instructions for greasing the bearings. Any other way of greasing the bearings will eventually require replacing the grease saturated brakes after the grease seal blows out
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Ed,

Thanks for the video. That is the correct way to do it.

Tags
axle