Having bearings repacked - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I took it in because the trailer is 32 years old and had been sitting for a long time, and according to board wisdom this should be done ($108). I just wondered if there's something to look for to absolutely know that it was done? Thanks
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Janine,

The bearings are hidden from view when the hubs are assembled and there is no way to tell if they have been repacked. The only way to tell if it has been done correctly is to be there and watch the process. If they won't let you near the shop, ask to see the bearings after they are cleaned. Part of the process is inspection of the bearings for damage or discoloration due to overheating. The going rate in our area is about $70 per axle. Choose a reliable repair shop for the work. Good luck!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yikes!

I pay 40 bucks...

and I am in "Let's inflate the price of everything because we are in a So. Cal zip code"!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #4

total, that's good...that included axle inspection, but I likely got taken a bit (it's a AAA facility, if that's worth mentioning)

Quote:
Yikes!

I pay 40 bucks...

and I am in "Let's inflate the price of everything because we are in a So. Cal zip code"!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
A pretty good hint would be greasy fingerprints on the tires/hub caps. Or at least the disturbance of dirt.
Unless you are a clean freak.
On mine it would be real obvious.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
as often happens, the bearings may get a little overstuffed and when the axle/wheel is used (often just the short drive home from the repair facility) the heat generated is often enough to cause the overflow(ing) grease to seep out of the hub and onto a wheel which you might be able to see.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #7

Thank-you one and all. More mechanic questions...The mechanic also called and reported a frame crack where a riser was added before, so now I'm up to $380, for bearings, weld, leveling trailer and installation of wire from my alternator to the trailer battery and reworking the screwed up wiring from the $239 wiring job which didn't ever work right from another repair shop--but he'll write me a note about how screwy the wiring was and maybe I can get some of my money back from the first mechanic (or not). Petite single woman (negative) discount again.
c'est la vie je pense

Quote:
as often happens, the bearings may get a little overstuffed and when the axle/wheel is used (often just the short drive home from the repair facility) the heat generated is often enough to cause the overflow(ing) grease to seep out of the hub and onto a wheel which you might be able to see.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If I wanted to know if a mechanic had at least opened up the end of the hub to look at the bearings on a trailer that had been sitting for a while, I would look at the 'dust caps' on the hub in the center. To get the hub apart, one has to insert something like a chisel or screwdriver between the cover edge and the hub, and that should leave some marks, esp in something dirty and greasy.

Of course, the alternative way to remove the caps is to bash them sideways with a hammer, which will either leave dents in the covers or they will be new.

If you have brakes, you can't see the inside end of the hub, but if you don't, you should be able to see that the seals are new (or old and dirty).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote