Helper springs for Astro - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I would worry about an excessive amount of tongue-weight also. I had a '99 Astro that was only rated for 3500lbs. tow capacity, so 420lbs. of tongue-weight would be too much. Also make sure you check out how the tow hitch is mounted. I went to a reputable hitch installer shortly after I purchased the van in 1999. The hitch that they installed, which was made for Chevy Astros at the time, only mounted to the sheet metal of the van's unibody construction - not the steel frame. It was a class II hitch. I didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't tow anything for several years, but in 2005 I got a 13' Scamp. After the third trip I discovered that the tow hitch was just about to rip through the sheet metal mounts. And remember, this is a small trailer that the Astro should not have had any trouble towing. I took the van to another hitch installer who was dumbfounded by the whole situation. Anyway, he welded in a few more support brackets and I never had another towing problem. Unfortunately, the oil pump went out a few months later, causing the engine to seize and leaving me stranded in Mountain Home, ID. Good Luck
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote