Highlander hybrid 4-cyl: okay for Casita 17? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
I would not tow at the top or over the weight limit. It will cause extra wear on your vehicle. Plus once u load everything and people how much is your real weight? Some People have towed like this and never had a problem. But if you are in a emergency situation would your vehicle handle ok?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Not to be too contrary but bad choices have consequences with improper set ups :

https://youtu.be/RJL7bDYxx04
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oh, my! Appears to be a Bigfoot, too, pulled by a 3/4T truck.

Whatever caused this sad mishap, it clearly wasn't an undersized or underrated tow vehicle. Hard to say if there was any "improper set-up," but being a brand-new purchase (according to the witness), there may have been some inexperience involved.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Oh, my! Appears to be a Bigfoot, too, pulled by a 3/4T truck.

Whatever caused this sad mishap, it clearly wasn't an undersized or underrated tow vehicle. Hard to say if there was any "improper set-up," but being a brand-new purchase (according to the witness), there may have been some inexperience involved.
Pulled by a Tundra. probably over the payload plus I expect an improper setup with tongue weight and wd hitch set up. Also an inexperience tower who didn't grab the trailer brakes manually soon enough or at all. Tragic. Though I don't think anyone got hurt. I guess this was right after leaving the dealer. The Tundra of that generation is on the margin for a Bigfoot. A pro pride hitch would have prevented this. I ordered one.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
A couple of points for anyone who might wander into this thread in the future. First, if your vehicle is rated for 350# of tongue weight, simply replacing the factory hitch with a hitch rated for 500# will not change the rating. Ask the manufacturer if this is not obvious. Second, a vehicle rated to tow 3500# is not rated to tow a 3500# travel trailer due to frontal area. Jon gives an explanation in post#11 in this thread. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ies-99452.html Hope this helps.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I expect to hear from current Toyota V6 Highlander owners with this statement!: I've been towing with a V6 2008 Highlander for over 10 years. In my opinion it tows our 17" Casita standard OK as in adequate. I always "feel" like there is a serious trailer weight behind me which keeps me on edge while towing. That's not necessarily bad and keeps me focused & safe while I'm towing the trailer.

I also tow a 16' Lund boat which tows much easier; I'm relaxed and less tired after towing it for several hours.

The bottom line for me - I would be more comfortable, more relaxed, arrive more refreshed towing my Casita with a vehicle with a higher tow rating than 5000 pounds.

I'm sure as most do: Select your next tow vehicle carefully.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #27

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I expect to hear from current Toyota V6 Highlander owners with this statement!: I've been towing with a V6 2008 Highlander for over 10 years. In my opinion it tows our 17" Casita standard OK as in adequate. I always "feel" like there is a serious trailer weight behind me which keeps me on edge while towing. That's not necessarily bad and keeps me focused & safe while I'm towing the trailer.

I also tow a 16' Lund boat which tows much easier; I'm relaxed and less tired after towing it for several hours.

The bottom line for me - I would be more comfortable, more relaxed, arrive more refreshed towing my Casita with a vehicle with a higher tow rating than 5000 pounds.

I'm sure as most do: Select your next tow vehicle carefully.

I totally agree.....I tow with a Ram 1500 rated to tow 11,600 lbs....overkill for our Casita but what a joy. I don't need WD or sway control.......the truck doesn't know the trailer is back there......no stress for me while towing. Bigger is better when towing...no doubt about it. BTW....I use the truck with a car trailer as well...some heavy loads.......still no worry.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:30 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Not to be too contrary but bad choices have consequences with improper set ups :

https://youtu.be/RJL7bDYxx04
From what I can see at a distance, he's driving fast, at the speed of traffic. The trouble begins suddenly, with an abrupt movement of the steering wheel. He (isn't it always a he?) then overcorrects, and matters get worse. He must have thought he'd made out ok until the last moment, when the trailer flipped the truck like a flapjack. In the end, the wreck looked survivable and probably repairable, but certainly terrifying.

Looks like driver error, but a small swerve like that should be self-correcting. I'd bet the tongue weight was light. I also doubt the truck had the latest in electronic stability control. The SUVs I'm shopping now are smart enough to modify their ESC behavior when a trailer is attached. This kind of automatic safety net means more to me than simply increasing the weight of the tow vehicle. It's not a simple playground teeter-totter, you know? Automated electronics can correct a sway situation much faster than I can reach for the brake controller's panic lever.

That said, in 12,000 miles of pulling a stropped-down 2,000 lb Scamp 16 with small SUVs at their full tow ratings, I never experienced any sway. Still don't know what it feels like.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita