Highlander or Pilot to tow 17b (or 19) Escape? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #21

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. Was it low to the ground because of the ground clearance or because of how the hitch was installed in the Kia?
May have been a bit of both. May have also had a bit to do with the suspension, as well - it didn’t look too bad until the trailer was hooked up. Kind of annoying that they build vehicles that tow 5000 lbs (quite easily) but maybe don’t quite think it through. All in the name of fuel consumption (keeping them low), I suppose. 😊
Brenda in Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #22

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Yes, because of wheel base, the Atlas sounds like a more capable TV, however check the reliability scores for the VW Atlas.

I just briefly read a review of the Atlas and it is slow off the line. I know you won't be racing it, but towing can really make a car or truck seem sluggish when dragging a trailer, so engine performance can really change things for better or worse.

Our Ridgeline, same engine as the Pilot really shines off the line which translates to better response while towing despite being a smaller engine than our 2010 Tacoma. It must be the direct injection.

I would recommend test driving before you buy. Better yet, see if you can rent the model you think you want for the day and go for a drive. That is what we did when we bought our 2020 CRV. The day long test drive sold us.

And one last thing about Honda. The infotainment deck is not as bad as people are saying IMO. My 2018 Ridgeline has that deck. I have completely gotten used to not having an on/off volume knob. So much so I often find myself fumbling around trying to adjust my wife's CRV's infotainment deck which has the on/off volume knob. Weird!

Also, a very big negative for us with Toyota at the time was the lack of Android Auto. I don't know if connectivity matters to you like it does to us. So you might want to check that out if it does. Android auto allows us to navigate on long trips using google maps or waze through our phones.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What's in the Pilot tow package? I've never known Honda to offer anything in any optional tow package that was factory installed. They just don't work that way. They use trim-level packaging, where every unit in the same trim level (LX 2WD, EX-L 4WD, Touring...) is built exactly the same at the factory, and optional towing equipment is added at the dealer.

If it's all dealer stuff, then you can buy a used unit without it and add what you need. Advantage is you know the vehicle has never been used for towing by a previous owner. Towing adds wear and tear that doesn't show on the odometer, and you have no way of knowing whether they towed a 600# fishing boat or a 5000# travel trailer.

A longer wheelbase may improve ride, but it also tends to decrease maneuverability in tight spaces. I find the Pilot's ride very comfortable and the seats all-day comfortable, but I haven't driven an Atlas. It wasn't even available when I bought mine.

Tough decision. $10K is a lotta moola in my book.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #24

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We’ve been thru the same hunt

Just upgraded this spring from a manual 2008 Honda Element which we loved, but needed more oomph for our trillium 1300, which came in around 1300-1400#. After 3 Honda’s I wanted to stick with them and go pilot (my dad is on his 2nd one, after also having a 1st generation pilot), but we didn’t like the 2016 we test drove (first 3rd gen year), plus all the recent transmission and infotainment issues. After also exploring highlander (both reg and hybrid), we ended up with a 2012 4Runner SR5 (base model) - more pricey for an equivalent pilot/highlander but super reliable and no infotainment system to screw up. You can get them with a 3rd row, and they all come with tow package ready to go. We love it so far.
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Guess Ford, GM, and Dodge just don’t cut it! No foreign jobs on my list!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post

There is no longer such a thing as a foreign car. Fiat / Chrysler just had to shut down some of its plants because of a worldwide shortage of computer chips.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The rules are changing. Both the Pilot and the Highlander are on this list of made-in-America vehicles with a high percentage of North American parts content.

If your criterion is merely where the headquarters is located rather than the actual manufacturing jobs they support, Dodge is now owned by the Netherlands-based Stellantis corporation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...to-data-2020-7
Old 04-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #28

Cars with more American, Canadian, and Mexican content get my vote.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Cars with more American, Canadian, and Mexican content get my vote.

And, how do you determine that?
And, in any event, no matter where the headquarters are, where are stock shares held?
Old 04-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My truck was built in Warren Michigan USA by members of the UAW
It’s my money and my choice . I refuse to buy a vehicle from companies that supplied the Japanese / Korean war machine and forced my Father and my Uncles to go to war and risk their lives .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, how do you determine that?
And, in any event, no matter where the headquarters are, where are stock shares held?
Foreign content is clearly posted on all new vehicles. Best to support the home team that is the American workers as for used vehicles I’d not buy obviously foreign nameplates.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Foreign content is clearly posted on all new vehicles. Best to support the home team that is the American workers as for used vehicles I’d not buy obviously foreign nameplates.

Who you gonna sell your corn, wheat, soya beans to? Your tech? It works both ways. Where was your computer or whatever you are using to post, where was that made?
Old 04-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My truck was built in Warren Michigan USA by members of the UAW
It’s my money and my choice . I refuse to buy a vehicle from companies that supplied the Japanese / Korean war machine and forced my Father and my Uncles to go to war and risk their lives .

Doesn't bother you that Ford supplied the Nazis before America entered the war?
BTW.
Where is the Toyota Highlander built?
Toyota Highlanders are built and assembled at the Princeton plant in Indiana, USA.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That’s the problem with cancel culture. Pretty soon there’s nothing left.

Korean war machine?

Here's a comprehensive story from the Washington Post;
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...nazicars30.htm
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 AM   #35

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Here's a comprehensive story from the Washington Post;
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...nazicars30.htm
I deleted my comment shortly after posting. I decided it was not helpful to the topic and likely to stir off-topic debate.

We are all free to choose our vehicles based on whatever criteria we choose,, including past political associations, but on this forum I’m going to stick to the merits vis-a-vis towing.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Doesn't bother you that Ford supplied the Nazis before America entered the war?
BTW.
Where is the Toyota Highlander built?
Toyota Highlanders are built and assembled at the Princeton plant in Indiana, USA.
Read the first sentence of my post or continue your selective reading - Whatever suits your needs !!
If you read the biography of Henry Ford ( I did) , you will learn Ford was far from a perfect human being but then neither is anyone else . I make no excuses .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #37

Beats me. I didn't bring up the war. Just trying to discuss real world economics.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #38

Trailer: Casita
NC
Choosing by Advantages

We used the Lean Method of Choosing by Advantages (https://leanconstructionblog.com/app...p-by-step.html) to help us make our decision. We were able to boil it down to the Pilot and Highlander as well and once we added reliability to the comparison, the Highlander edged out the Pilot for us. See the attachment for our choosing by advantages worksheet.

We bought a 2018 Highlander XLE and were able to get the 7-pin added through some effort and research. See the attachment for how we got our 7-pin mounted while also keeping effective ground clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Car Advantages.jpg   20210302_205721597_iOS (2).jpg  

Shocksll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape