Hitch extenders - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Hitch extenders

Are there any past posts here about using hitch extenders to add room between the tow vehicle and trailer to prevent hitting batteries/LP tanks in extreme corners.I read mfg's info saying it (18" ext) would decrease hitch weight by 30%.If anybody has experience with this setup,your info would be appreciated!Thanks!
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use a 10" hitch ball mount, not an extender. I needed the length to open the back door on the canopy, it hit the tongue jack. Rather than jack-knife the tug/trailer, if you get into that tight of a situation, you may find it easier to disconnect and move the trailer by hand? I can't imagine any road having that tight of corners... but, then again I haven't driven them all
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I take it this is something, perhaps "As seen on TV", that will, essentially, make the trailers frame 18" longer??? Do you have a link or pics.
Certainly anything that extends the hitch on the vehicle is a bad idea, but this doesn't sound much better/safer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

Wisconsin
The extender is a length of two inch tubing that fits between the receiver and coupler.The extender is connected to the receiver,and the ball mount is connected to the extension,then coupled with the trailer.It basically stretches the rig out.But I'm concerned that by stretching out,I may have a problem with sway.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

Wisconsin
C.R. Brophy Machine Works, Inc. -- Hitch Accessories
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I am not convinced on the 30% reduction. What it will do is to change the leverage point. That could reduce weight on your front wheels and could cause handling issues. I have no idea how much.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Wisconsin
Donna...I learned the hard way in a campground and it cost me a battery box.My dumb,though,as I put myself in that situation by turning left instead of right as the sign said.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Harbor Freight has a 12" extender for around $20.00.
I used one for about a year with my 13' Scamp with no problems.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Dave...Thanks.What I am doing is increasing my turning radius.I don't think an issue of transferring weight one way or the other should be a problem with a 13 foot Scamp.I could see where it might with a heavier trailer,though.If by front wheels,you mean steer axle,I'd have to overload the rear suspension on the tug to cause the front end to get light.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Thanks,John. Yup the HF ones are a heckofa lot cheaper than Reese or Curt.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Look around a bit. There are longer ball mounts, which would be one less potential failure point than an extender.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

Wisconsin
Thanks,Byron. Yes,K.I.S.S. is a good practice,but I haven't found any extended ball mounts.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
I use a hitch ball extender to allow my tailgate to fully extend. The tailgate is a valuable workbench when traveling. I added an extra hole in it to accommodate the minimum extension necessary.

I use a Stowaway Hitch Tightener to mitigate the problems that arise with the excess hitch slop when using an extention.

Amazon.com: StowAway Hitch Tightener: Automotive
baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
Thanks,Byron. Yes,K.I.S.S. is a good practice,but I haven't found any extended ball mounts.
How much longer do you want to go? For 10" here's a bunch: Ball Mounts - Draw-Tite
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
according to this article, any modification decreases your capacity by 50%.

How to Calculate Trailer Hitch and Towing Capacity When Using A Hitch Adapter or a Hitch Extender

Use an adapter when you have a ball mount shank size (the shank is the part that fits into the receiver tube on the trailer hitch) that is not the same size as the square tube on the trailer hitch (the "receiver" tube). For example, if you have a hitch ball mounted on a 2-inch shank and you want to fit that to a trailer hitch that has a 1.25-inch receiver tube, you would need a 2-inch to 1.25-inch hitch adapter.
Use a hitch extender when you need to increase the space between your tow vehicle and the trailer you are towing.

Since using an adapter (or a hitch extender) lowers the maximum capacity of your trailer hitch, you need to be aware of the new maximum trailer weight and tongue weight your trailer hitch can safely carry. Use the following information to calculate your new towing capacity when using a hitch adapter or extender.

Your new maximum gross trailer weight (GTW) is the LOWEST of the following:

50% of the Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) rating of the trailer hitch (if the trailer hitch GTW rating is 3000 lbs, this number would be 1500 - half of 3000 lbs.).
The vehicle's towing capacity as stated in the vehicles owner's manual (let's use 2000 lbs as an example here).
the adapter's maximum trailer weight rating (usually 3500 lbs.)
So in the above example, the LOWEST weight is 1500 lbs., so do NOT attempt to tow anything weighing over 1500 lbs.
Your new maximum tongue weight (TW) is the LOWEST of the following:

50% of the tongue weight (TW) rating of the trailer hitch (if the trailer hitch TW rating is 400 lbs, this number would be 200 - half of 400 lbs.).
the adapter's maximum tongue weight rating (usually 300 lbs.)
So in the above example, the LOWEST tongue weight is 200 lbs., so do NOT attempt to tow any trailer that puts MORE THAN 200 lbs. of weight on the tongue.
In this combination of tow vehicle, trailer hitch, and hitch adapter you can tow any trailer that weighs 1500 lbs. or less AND places 200 lbs. or less weight on the tongue. Anything heavier than that would be unsafe with this combination of vehicle, trailer hitch, and adapter.
Always follow these safety precautions:
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That Hitch Extender will place additional load on your tow vehicle, not less. And a 13' Sacamp can easily have 225-250 lbs of hitch weight. If you derate the hitch by 30% when using one of these, that puts your hitches capacity at 210 lbs, less than your load weight. Any thing that places the ball further from the center of the rear axle sounds like a bad idea to this guy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Thanks to all for the input!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
Donna...I learned the hard way in a campground and it cost me a battery box.My dumb,though,as I put myself in that situation by turning left instead of right as the sign said.
LOL Al, I suspect what you experiences may have been a towing experiences that once you have done it you know what not to do in order to avoid ever repeating.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL Al, I suspect what you experiences may have been a towing experiences that once you have done it you know what not to do in order to avoid ever repeating.
Yup.BTDT,and hope not to repeat.Plus,I now have twin group 27's and two 20 pound tanks on the A frame,and even testing in town,around corners,it is just too close.
Plus,that last bad experience is all the fault of my navigator!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: Getting back into it
Ontario
There has been a couple of times when I have made tonque extenders that consist of an "A" shaped member that matches the trailer and extends an extra 24" in front of the old coupling (where I've mounted a ball) up to a new coupling that will make the TV connection.
In effect it gives you a longer trailer with the axle mounted farther back. Reduces tonque weight and makes backing up much easier....not to mention tailgate use.
Patvetzal is offline   Reply With Quote