Hitch Extension for Moped/Motorcycle Rack? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking at options. I have seen a hitch extension used for a bicyle rack with a Moped. The owner liked it. It was about 12" longer than needed and he was towing about 5000 pound TT.

Any experience with this?

Any sources?
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's one topic, where the bikes ride between the tug and tow, complete with pictures: Receiver mounted 2-bike rack, You can use it while towing!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Thanks, I have seen these. If I go with a Bicycle I will get one but I have a Moped that weighs 110 pounds already. A little heavy to lift up that high so a track about 20 inches off the ground is better than being hung.

Anybody put a small motorcycle on a hitch extension?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Looking at options. I have seen a hitch extension used for a bicyle rack with a Moped. The owner liked it. It was about 12" longer than needed and he was towing about 5000 pound TT.

Any experience with this?

Any sources?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-mo...rier-99721.html
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Wow. Would your receiver have to be strong to hold this "400 lb capacity" puppy!
Maybe the rack will hold 400 lbs, but what about the receiver. And can you say 'leverage?'
It sticks so far out that I would think you could easily bend or rip off your receiver. I wouldn't use this on less than an 800 lb capacity receiver.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I've towed our Scamp 13 for several years with a dual receiver hitch extender and three bike rack. No issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	29682
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks, I have seen these. If I go with a Bicycle I will get one but I have a Moped that weighs 110 pounds already. A little heavy to lift up that high so a track about 20 inches off the ground is better than being hung.

Anybody put a small motorcycle on a hitch extension?
Okay, but the title of your topic is "Hitch Extension for Bicycle Rack?, Anybody have this?" so that's where my misunderstanding started. I'm going to change it to "Hitch Extension for Moped Rack?, Anybody have this?" so it will come up properly in Search... okay?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Donna, No problem. I suggest that it is changed to Moped/Motorcycle and take out the Bicycle.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
What kind of moped?

I'm in to vintage pedal mopeds so I'm just curious!Forgot to add, I use a cargo rack on the back of the van for hauling my mopeds around. I don't have a special one for cycles, it's just a regular rack that can be used for coolers, luggage, etc. It holds a moped just fine and I've made a couple of several hour trips with it. I'm not sure about adding something between the camper and the tow vehicle that could handle that weight though. I'd be more apt to male something where the moped could ride on the tongue of the trailer and try to offset it with some weight in the back of the trailer. I guess one could mount it on the back of a trailer if the appropriate hitch receiver was there although it seems that most people here discourage that. I don't know.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #10

I have a Tomos ST http://www.tomosusa.com/pages/model/st
2.25 wide wheels, Wheel base of 45 inches, Overall is 65 long and 27 inches wide. Weighs 120 pounds. Gets 96 mpg at max of 30 mph. No pedals.

I could just get some 3 inch channel iron and connect to the tongue.
If I put on the TT tongue, will I lose much in turning angle or have much danger in hitting it?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Bryan,
Do you happen to have a picture of your cargo rack with a moped on it ?

Bill K

Quote:
What kind of moped?

I'm in to vintage pedal mopeds so I'm just curious!Forgot to add, I use a cargo rack on the back of the van for hauling my mopeds around. I don't have a special one for cycles, it's just a regular rack that can be used for coolers, luggage, etc. It holds a moped just fine and I've made a couple of several hour trips with it.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Bill,

No pictures right now but I might be loading one up here in the next day or two. I'll click some pics then.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Ok Thanks.

I have an aluminum rack but have not figured out how to mount the bike to it.

Bill K

Quote:
Bill,

No pictures right now but I might be loading one up here in the next day or two. I'll click some pics then.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #14

Rack question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I've towed our Scamp 13 for several years with a dual receiver hitch extender and three bike rack. No issues.

Attachment 29682
Any chance to get a pic of your bike rack close up? Or what make. I'm having trouble finding something that fits between my frontier and 16 ft Scamp.
abehoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hitch Extension for Moped/Motorcycle Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehoda View Post
Any chance to get a pic of your bike rack close up? Or what make. I'm having trouble finding something that fits between my frontier and 16 ft Scamp.
Since this was not mentioned before, it bears saying now. Every hitch extender I have ever seen includes a warning that it reduces the tongue weight rating of the vehicle by half.

So let's say your trailer has 250 pounds tongue weight. And let's say the bikes and rack weigh 75 pounds. That's 325 pounds. Now add a hitch extender to the picture... your vehicle needs to have a tongue weight rating of at least 325x2, or 650 pounds.

Moving the ball attachment point further from the tow vehicle is not good for towing stability, either.

Please don't shoot the messenger!

A number of folks have built custom racks attached directly to the tongue that carry the bicycles up high over the battery and LP tank(s) and close to the shell. Much better, and less likely to cause turning interference.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote