Hitch questions 1996 Scamp fifth wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Susie
Trailer: Uncommitted/looking
WA
Hitch questions 1996 Scamp fifth wheel

Thinking about purchasing a 1996 Scamp fifth wheel. What would be the best hitch for my Ford F-150 6.5 foot bed truck?
The seller has some of a hitch, but not the cross part that has the ball on it.So I'm assuming he has the rails for the truck, but I'm currently trying to figure out what he has ( long distance thing, we will be driving there in a couple days if we decide we want to pursue it.)
Thought I would check out what people use and like so I could see about having something lined up if we purchase it.
Thanks!
Crowinghen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Hey, I just went through all of this myself. We got our Scamp 19 2 weeks ago. The new Scamp 19 hitch is just a standard 5th wheel set up, with an added flate plate across the top. That flat plate is where the 2" ball sits. I don't know if they sell the old set up which was a plate mounted against the wheel well inside the bed and then connected with a cross bar. There is a youtube video (an old one) on installing the old version.

No one sells this particular set up except Scamp. It is $675 and then whatever you pay for installation if you don't do it yourself. It took 2 professionals almost 3 hours to put it in. Cost $400.

I've got a full size Ram with the 5 1/2 foot bed. That part isn't an issue. What is an issue is the when following the installation instructions (which say the hitch must be no closer than 6" to the bumper) means that on sharp turns my bumper touches the trailer. I am going to a welder and have my $1100 hitch setup moved back towards the rear about 5 inches.

Also, if your truck is like mine, you will need to do something about leveling the trailer to the truck. I can take pics of the hitch tomorrow. Here's how it looks right now.

Well I can't get pic to post. You can PM me and I will send you the pics.

But I don't regret buying it. It tracks effortlessly behind the truck and is more room than we are used to

Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Virginia
The Scamp owner's manual states that the most critical measurement is that the center of the ball on the hitch cannot be more than 60" from the CORNER of the bumper. If the hitch is mounted with this dimension an unmodified 19' Scamp should have clearance to the truck when turning sharply.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
scamp 19 hitch

I have the reese hitch in my tacoma. When I bought the trailer it came with the earlier version of the scamp hitch. It required enough modifications to be installed in the tacoma that it was cheaper for me to buy a new hitch. I don't remember what I paid but it was a lot less than $675. I installed it myself and it took me two days. If I had to do it over, I would gladly pay someone to install it. I still have the old hitch with crossbar. Where in Washington are you? I'm in pullman. If you think you might be interested in all or part of it, you can PM me.

Wayne
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #5

Name: Susie
Trailer: Uncommitted/looking
WA
Thank you all for the helpful replies!
I was able to get a lead on a 16 foot scamp that I will be picking up next week. We were hoping for a regular trailer so we could have flexibility with the pulling rig. Feel very fortunate to have come across one- thank you all so much for your help!
Susie
Crowinghen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne53 View Post
I have the reese hitch in my tacoma. When I bought the trailer it came with the earlier version of the scamp hitch. It required enough modifications to be installed in the tacoma that it was cheaper for me to buy a new hitch. I don't remember what I paid but it was a lot less than $675. I installed it myself and it took me two days. If I had to do it over, I would gladly pay someone to install it. I still have the old hitch with crossbar. Where in Washington are you? I'm in pullman. If you think you might be interested in all or part of it, you can PM me.

Wayne
I had to resort to mounting mine myself as well. A shop that sells trailers did not want to touch it, too many unknowns and uncertainties for them to bother. It took me two or three days to do and many more days beforehand to figure it out and have a few parts made. I think the hitch cost about $600 in 2013, plus shipping. It came in two packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
Hey, I just went through all of this myself. We got our Scamp 19 2 weeks ago. The new Scamp 19 hitch is just a standard 5th wheel set up, with an added flate plate across the top. That flat plate is where the 2" ball sits. I don't know if they sell the old set up which was a plate mounted against the wheel well inside the bed and then connected with a cross bar. There is a youtube video (an old one) on installing the old version.

No one sells this particular set up except Scamp. It is $675 and then whatever you pay for installation if you don't do it yourself. It took 2 professionals almost 3 hours to put it in. Cost $400.

I've got a full size Ram with the 5 1/2 foot bed. That part isn't an issue. What is an issue is the when following the installation instructions (which say the hitch must be no closer than 6" to the bumper) means that on sharp turns my bumper touches the trailer. I am going to a welder and have my $1100 hitch setup moved back towards the rear about 5 inches.

Also, if your truck is like mine, you will need to do something about leveling the trailer to the truck. I can take pics of the hitch tomorrow. Here's how it looks right now.

Well I can't get pic to post. You can PM me and I will send you the pics.

But I don't regret buying it. It tracks effortlessly behind the truck and is more room than we are used to

That greenery hides the wheel, but I suspect that the Scamp does not have the raised axle - does it? The clearance between the top of the tailgate and the loft seems kind of small, raising the axle would improve it a lot.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #7

Nevada
Well a couple of things. The first is that even though the trailer currently is almost popping a wheelie, it has about 5-6inches of clearance above the bed.

As far as clearance free turning, I have to report that my installation is about 1/8 short. Making almost a 90 degree today, I took the paint off and about a 1/16 of bumper. It will be an easy fix.

I talked to a welding guy and he is going to cut my axel out, install 3 or 4 inch blocks and then weld the axel back on. He says he does it all the time.

As far as leveling the truck, I always wanted to just for the better looks. So I will probably do a 2inch lowering in the back only some day.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
It seems that you are on top of things. Good luck!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #9

Name: Thomas
Hollywood
$250 Hitch for 19' Scamp

This is was my solution.

Cost was $99 for for the 5th wheel rails with hardware, $75 for the goose neck plate, $40 for welding and $20 for the 2" receiver, I already had several 2" hitches with different rises.

This allows me to raise, lower or move the trailer forward and back by changing the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200211_124430023.jpg   IMG_20200211_124447531.jpg  

Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:36 AM   #10

Nevada
That is a pretty cool set up. Unfortunately it's too late for me. But thanks anyway

Tags
scamp