Hitch requirements, Highlander Hybrid - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Deeanne
Trailer: Looking
California
Hitch requirements, Highlander Hybrid

I've read on here and the Escape forum that folks have good luck towing these lightweight trailers with a Highlander Hybrid, which is what we want to do. It turns out, the hitch we have cannot accept a weight distribution system or sway bar. Are these necessary with these trailers? We don't have any way to try it out unless we buy a trailer. Our tow limit is 3500 lbs. thanks in advance
Deeanne E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Don't have a Highlander so it is difficult for me to comment on whether you will need a WDH. I do use a WDH for towing my Escape 19' with my Toyota FJ Cruiser, and it is very solid and a pleasure to tow. In fact, I had driven to work and back for a week after my last camping trip before I even noticed that I had not yet unhitched the trailer.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We have an '02 non hybrid Highlander that we used for a tug for a 1300 Trillium and our "new" 4500 Trillium. Also has a rating of 3500#. Tows both trailers like a dream. Wouldn't worry about a weight distribution hitch unless you are looking at a much heavier trailer. The 4500 weighed about 1900# loaded for a three week road trip.YMMV
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It may all depend on what the tongue limit is on your Highlander and if it sags when connected. If it doesnt sag and you have the capacity to take the normal tongue weight of which the majority on the the Real World Weights thread for the 17' Escapes fall in at between 320 and 380lbs you may not need a WDH. The best people to ask would be the folks at Escape themselves. They are more than helpful and know their trailers better than anyone ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
It may all depend on what the tongue limit is on your Highlander and if it sags when connected. If it doesnt sag and you have the capacity to take the normal tongue weight of which the majority on the the Real World Weights thread for the 17' Escapes fall in at between 320 and 380lbs you may not need a WDH.
Even if it does sag a little more than you would like, as long as you are safely within the tug's Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating and its tongue weight limit you can probably correct the ride height with air bags or air shocks (depending on model - I would need to check what's available for a Highlander).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I have towed with my '08 Highlander for over 100,000 miles, most of those miles towing a cargo trailer for work, and did not use a WD hitch. The tongue weight of the cargo trailer was over 400 lbs at the start of each day, but I'd slowly unload it through the course of the day. There was rear sag, but it wasn't a problem for handling or performance. I should mention that mine is 4wd (all wheel drive, really), so the rear tires are helping propel the HL.

As long as you have between 150 and 430 lbs on the hitch, based on my experience you should be fine. More weight, I haven't tried; less weight might cause sway to develop.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
What kind of hitch do you have? Curious why it won't accept a WDH.

Also check out this link, especially post #3,

Towing with Hybrid? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have towed with my '08 Highlander for over 100,000 miles, most of those miles towing a cargo trailer for work, and did not use a WD hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick View Post
What kind of hitch do you have? Curious why it won't accept a WDH.
In his post above, Mike didn't say that his hitch would not accept a WD system, only that he did not use one.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #9

Registry
Mike didn't but the OP sure did ;-)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Mike didn't but the OP sure did ;-)
Ah, tunnel vision at work... not seeing back more than the most recent post. Thanks Carol.

Some hitch receivers, especially original equipment on vehicles with no more than 3500 pounds rated towing capacity, have 1.25" receiver openings. WD equipment is not available in that size. Is this the reason, Deeanne?

The original post also says that the hitch cannot accept a "sway bar" (which I assume means friction-type sway control device). Adapters are available to mount the required small extra ball on a 1.25" ball mount, if that is the issue.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #11

Name: Deeanne
Trailer: Looking
California
Hitch, Highlander Hybrid

Yes, that is the problem with the hitch, rated for 3500 pounds. But we just went to the hitch place that installed it and he looked it up and says it's fine to put a weight distrib system on it. Ao, i sounds like it is certainly possible to use the car as a tow vehicle. Now I just need to find a fiberglass trailer. They are few and far between in California.
Thanks for all the good advice.
Deeanne E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #12

Registry
It's sounds like you have a class ll hitch. You haven't said which size Escape you are considering but if its a 17 or bigger you really should upgrade to a class lll hitch. You may fine your limited in what you can buy to put on that hitch & will need to watch carefully what receiver & ball combo specs are that you put on it to meet the Ecapes tongue weight.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeanne E. View Post
But we just went to the hitch place that installed it and he looked it up and says it's fine to put a weight distrib system on it.
That means it must be a 2" receiver. Also, since it was installed by a hitch place - not a Toyota dealer - it is likely not a Toyota-branded (or "original equipment" or "Genuine Toyota" or "OEM") hitch. Do you know the brand and model?

What year is this Highlander? (The two generations use different hitches)

Quote:
It's sounds like you have a class ll hitch. You haven't said which size Escape you are considering but if its a 17 or bigger you really should upgrade to a class lll hitch.
The rated towing capacity of the Highlander is 3500 pounds. The rated capacity of a Class 2 hitch -and apparently of this specific hitch - is 3500 pounds. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of an Escape 17' is 3500 pounds. Some trailers within this weight limit may have more tongue weight than a typical Class 2 hitch can handle, but if an Escape 17' is too heavy for a Class 2 hitch, it is also overweight (over its own GVWR), and too heavy for the tug.

Quote:
You may [find] your limited in what you can buy to put on that hitch ...
Carol, are you assuming this is a 1.25" receiver? The hitch shop says it is not.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That means it must be a 2" receiver. Also, since it was installed by a hitch place - not a Toyota dealer - it is likely not a Toyota-branded (or "original equipment" or "Genuine Toyota" or "OEM") hitch. Do you know the brand and model?

What year is this Highlander? (The two generations use different hitches)

The rated towing capacity of the Highlander is 3500 pounds. The rated capacity of a Class 2 hitch -and apparently of this specific hitch - is 3500 pounds. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of an Escape 17' is 3500 pounds. Some trailers within this weight limit may have more tongue weight than a typical Class 2 hitch can handle, but if an Escape 17' is too heavy for a Class 2 hitch, it is also overweight (over its

Carol, are you assuming this is a 1.25" receiver? The hitch shop says it is not.

I am assuming to a Class II hitch which is what the hitch shop confirmed it to be based on its capacity. That being the case the majority of class II hitches I have seen are 1.25" receivers. The hitch shop did not say as you indicate that's its a 2" receiver only that its possible to put a WDH on it which MAY suggest its a 2" but not a given.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
I am assuming to a Class II hitch which is what the hitch shop confirmed it to be based on its capacity.
Agreed.

Quote:
That being the case the majority of class II hitches I have seen are 1.25" receivers.
Agreed.

Quote:
The hitch shop did not say as you indicate that's its a 2" receiver only that its possible to put a WDH on it which MAY suggest its a 2" but not a given.
I would agree, if I knew of any 1.25" WD system. If anyone knows of one, please share.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #16

Registry
Brian first off my point was simply that as the OP has a class Ii hitch it may as I said be hard to find receivers that will take the tongue weight of a Esacape 17 if that is what they are considering (note they have not said that) as it may be very close to maxing out many of the receivers that will fit a standard Class II hitch. Check the Real World weights most 17's are over 300lbs on the hitch some far more. Most of the receivers Im familiar with for a Class II hitch are rated at abt 300 to 350lbs. Simple as that. The OP has also not indicated they have a 2" receiver which I think you have agreed is not a common thing to find on a class ll hitch. Not impossible just not the norm. Yes the people who installed the hitch have indicated a WDH can be installed on the hitch they have but do you know for a fact it's a 2". As we all know sometimes we are given miss information & it only comes to light when we go through with what we had planned to do. If they in fact have a 2" receiver then that's great!

Is it really so wrong to give someone a heads up that they MAY have an issue & state why?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Is it really so wrong to give someone a heads up that they MAY have an issue & state why?
Absolutely not!

My problem is saying "if you get a 17' you really should have a Class 3", instead of saying "if you get a 17' or larger you should check for adequate tongue weight capacity". The first sends people off to replace perfectly good hardware with hardware that may be no more capable; the second is useful guidance as Carol intended.

This would be a lot more productive if we knew just what hitch is on that Highlander... it is probably on a sticker right on the hitch. Certainly the receiver box size can be measured with a ruler or tape measure.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #18

Registry
LOL talk about splitting hairs!

What I said:,

You may fined your limited in what you can buy to put on that hitch & will need to watch carefully what receiver & ball combo specs are that you put on it to meet the Ecapes tongue weight.

Hoping tunnel vision is curable ;-)
Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
A class III receiver should fit on the HL hybrid; I have one on my non-hybrid HL and the attachment pattern should be the same on either one. That way the OP could easily use a WD hitch.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A class III receiver should fit on the HL hybrid; I have one on my non-hybrid HL and the attachment pattern should be the same on either one. That way the OP could easily use a WD hitch.
Mike is your hitch factory installed? If so would you go that route again? Ask as the Highlander is high on my list of future purchase list.