Honda Odyssey Van - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van that is rated for 3,500 lbs towing capacity. It has the transmission cooler. AM interested in the Oliver TT but am concerned about towing. Anyone out there towing a TT with the Odyssey ?
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
I will be towing with my '05 as soon as I pick up my Burro in Ohio and bring it home next month. There are also several here that already do - a quick search of Odyssey in the search field (top right) will bring them up.

BUT the Oliver will be too heavy just sitting there empty (the "dry" weight of the 17' unit is listed on their site at over 3500#) much less once you load the trailer with some gear, water, etc. and your van with you and passengers, fuel, etc.

As an aside a great resource for your van if you're not familar with it already is www.odyclub.com

In addition to the tranny cooler, Honda recommends a PS cooler for the Odyssey, and you will want to install a brake controller as well for travel trailer type weight.

reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van that is rated for 3,500 lbs towing capacity. It has the transmission cooler. AM interested in the Oliver TT but am concerned about towing. Anyone out there towing a TT with the Odyssey ?

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...p;hl=overweight

This is the most stark, but there are many other threads on this forum discussing weight.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

to clarify both replies, many tow w/ their Odysseys a-ok. Just don't tow more trailer than your tow vehicle can handle with ANY vehicle/trailer combination.

The Oliver weighs more than the rated capacity of the Odyssey, so you'd be wise to seek out another trailer.

For example the Burro I've found weighs (I'm told) 1800# empty. At worst around 2000#. Gives me breathing room. I had considered a 17' Escape prior to buying the Burro - couldn't swing the pricing myself, but if you're looking for a quality unit with lower weight at reasonable cost (reasonable considering the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar right now, and as compared to the Oliver most anything is reasonable) the Escape 17' weighs around 1900-2100# depending on plan A or plan B.

There are lots of choices out there - just got to find the trailer that fits your wants/needs/vehicle abilities. Happy searching!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Tom:

We've towed with a 1999 Odyssey since we bought it new, and it has done a great job, but here are some conclusions I've arrived at: our trailer averages about 3200 lbs going down the road with everything in ready-for-use condition, including full tanks of propane and fresh water. Even with the lower power of this particular vintage Ody it remains quite adequate for my use.

After our first 9000 mile cross country drive I was changing the transmission fluid and noticed a moderate color change from fresh. Nothing drastic, but enough to get me thinking. First thing I did was install a transmission oil temperature gauge, which turned out to be a great educational tool, telling me exactly what conditions caused the temp to increase, etc. A relatively inexpensive mod was to add another transmission oil cooler to the one the Honda dealer sold me as a towing "must."

We have taken numerous trips since then, including cross-country ones. I change transmission fluid twice a year and monitor the color and smell closely. A week ago I changed it again for the first time since our last cross-country trip, and the color was nice and pink, with no visible contamination. Even struggling our way out of Death Valley in the heat had apparently not overheated the fluid.

Since this issue is often the main drive train weak point in so many types of drive trains I remain vigilant about what goes on and drive accordingly.

That said, the Ody is a delight to pull a trailer with. I use rear airbags to level the car (and headlights), and the tongue weight remains well under the 350lb limit. Since the airbags use an on-board air compressor I have found this setup to have unexpected benefits in leveling the rig in campsites and a decided benefit in making handling very secure. The 118" wheelbase is a feature which makes stability extremely good.

I would not try to push the weight limit beyond what I'm currently doing, so modifications and additions to the trailer are often conditional on achieving weight reductions in other things. I find it fairly irrelevant to go by the factory weight quotes since the optional equipment usually does a number on the final total. In Oregon the wayside weigh stations are usually on and often deserted, so we have the advantage of always being able to update the actual weight. It's the "only way to tow." (Reinhold, I'd consider the 17' Burro to likely be between 2800 and 3200 lbs rolling down the road.)

I agree that the Oliver is pushing it beyond what is reasonable and mechanically safe; go for a tow vehicle about 5000 lbs for that one. If you use an Ody, most of the other 17' trailers will work well.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
(...and as compared to the Oliver most anything is reasonable)
As with everything else, you get exactly the value you pay for, and as one of the tool manufacturers used to say: "Nobody was ever sorry they bought the best there is..."
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

<Moderator Hat on>
Let's agree that reasonable is in the eye of the beholder, and further discussion of it will close this thread.
<Moderator Hat off>

Quote:
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van that is rated for 3,500 lbs towing capacity. It has the transmission cooler. AM interested in the Oliver TT [b]but am concerned about towing. Anyone out there towing a TT with the Odyssey ?
Tom,
There is a large percentage of the membership here who tow with the Honda Odyssey.
HOWEVER, [b]like you many are concerned about pushing the limits. It is a highly discussed topic here.

The Oliver is a Double Hulled trailer, and as such has twice the fiberglass content of a similarly sized [b]Casita. It also is loaded with features to make it's experience pleasant to those who choose to purchase it. This reality comes at the expense of a higher overall weight.

I tow my Fiber Stream with a 2003 Odyssey. As much as I like the Odyssey as a tow vehicle, IMHO I recommend that if you have your heart set on purchasing an Oliver, look for a tow vehicle rated for at least 5000 lbs.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
As with everything else, you get exactly the value you pay for, and as one of the tool manufacturers used to say: "Nobody was ever sorry they bought the best there is..."
Steve I don't think Reinhold was referring to the Oliver trailer itself as unreasonable but rather the Oliver/Odyssey combination. The Oliver trailer is a fine rig and i think everyone would acknowledge that and its a great fit for a go between of the more economically priced 17's and the Airstream Bambi.

I tow with an Odyssey and it does very well on dry nonsandy ground. With the tongue weight of the Casita it seems to takes some of the traction away even with a WDH.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Steve I don't think Reinhold was referring to the Oliver trailer itself as unreasonable but rather the Oliver/Odyssey combination. The Oliver trailer is a fine rig and i think everyone would acknowledge that and its a great fit for a go between of the more economically priced 17's and the Airstream Bambi.

I tow with an Odyssey and it does very well on dry nonsandy ground. With the tongue weight of the Casita it seems to takes some of the traction away even with a WDH.
Thanks for pointing that out, Bill. And Reinhold, I apoligize. I apparently overreacted, no doubt thinking I was on some other forum. It seems that in some other areas Oliver bashing is a sport and I just put my mouth in gear before my brain. Please forgive me.

Steve
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #10

I am getting home late and finding out my poor choice of wording previously has stirred things up... It is -I- who should be the one apologizing. Thanks to Bill for phrasing things better, to Frederick for keeping us focused, to Roger way up top for being succinct, and to Per for his experience. And to Steve, no worries for defending your trailer.

The Oliver was on my radar early (among other brands) when I began searching for a FGRV, plus having several friends in Tennessee it would have given me a great excuse to go visit them all. Finding out the heavier weight was out of my van's class was a bummer but set me on a path where, long story short, I ended up with a Burro in Ohio that I've never laid eyes on except for digital photos. Soon!

Tom B. if you're still following your thread there's lots of good advice here at FGRV.com, despite some of us (me) who tend to get sidetracked. Let us know how things ultimately work out for you.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I use rear airbags to level the car (and headlights), and the tongue weight remains well under the 350lb limit. Since the airbags use an on-board air compressor I have found this setup to have unexpected benefits in leveling the rig in campsites and a decided benefit in making handling very secure.
Where can I get information on the airbag setup you have? I have a 2001 Odyssey and I'm considering purchasing a trailer.
Thanks
Dan
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Dan:
Google AirLift

The part number you want for this kit is 60740
P.W.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi,

I retired my (still active) SUV Isuzu to tow with Honda Odyssey I bought
new with the tow package in 2007. We moved from a 13 ft. to a 16 ft.
Casita and felt the Isuzu was not capable even rated at 3500# . We are
always on the look out for new lighter weight supplies to keep weight down
in the trailer and in the car. We don't tow with any tanks full. Everyone is
also on diets including our dog.... We got information on the Oliver before
buying or newest Casita. Pricepoint and weight were not going to work for
us...
Dlynne is offline   Reply With Quote