Honda Pilot Towing - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol,

If I were buying a 30' Airstream I would probably go to CanAM just for the learning experience. Since I'm only towing a Scamp 16 I see no reason to add to the cost or to take the long trip. Heck, if you can tow a Scamp 16 with a Honda CRV just about anywhere, an Odyssey should be a cakewalk.

Before we bought the Scamp we considered an Airstream Bambi but decided it was too heavy for our CRV.

In my pre-RV days I went to London Ontario on business a number of times and have friends there but did not know about CanAM.

Seriously, the Odyssey looks like a very capable tow vehicle, more capable than what we need. It has a wide stance, a short overhang and a powerful engine not to mention cavernous space. Ginny has now said more than once that we could easily sleep in it. Sounds like time travel to me, back in our rock and roll days when I was in the music business we had a Dodge van that we slept in.

Is life a circle?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #62
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
This will pull about anything............

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #63
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Seriously, the Odyssey looks like a very capable tow vehicle, more capable than what we need. It has a wide stance, a short overhang and a powerful engine not to mention cavernous space. Ginny has now said more than once that we could easily sleep in it. Sounds like time travel to me, back in our rock and roll days when I was in the music business we had a Dodge van that we slept in.

Is life a circle?
So true Norm. About 12 years ago when we towed a Coleman Rio Grande pop up we took my 78 year old Mom along with us to Algonquin PP. We made up a comfy bed in the Nissan Mini Van and she slept in there. It worked great.

For sure the Oddy will easily handle the Scamp. Should be a very nice combo for your extended travels.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #64

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
I have a 1981 Trillium 5500 and towed it first with a 2003 and now a 2012 Pilot. Both had the Honda towing package. Trillium has a brake controller and a sway bar. If I read it right, the Pilot manual says not to use weight distribution hitches and recommends premium gas when towing. It tows beautifully and on flat, long highway hauls has gotten 14 MPG a couple of times. (Tailwind?) My husband has towed it with his Chevy truck a couple of times but says the Pilot 'gears down' better and is easier to maneuver. I'm careful not to stuff the trailer and Pilot to the max and watch weight balancing. It's a perfect combo for me!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #65

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
What is a WDH? I am looking at used Honda Pilots for my 16' Scamp. Glad someone mentioned it needs to be the 4X4 for 4500# tow capacity as I hadn't noticed that in looking at the specs!
Connie Estep
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #66

Washington
Any thoughts on whether I should add the ATF cooler kit to a Pilot? Haven't towed this trailer yet. Bought it and had towed to the nearest RV storage lot until I could get a tow vehicle. Have been towing my 13' Boler with a Subaru.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #67

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, Connie!

Yup, definitely need the 4WD for towing starting 2012. That year, they dropped the full tow package (heavy duty transmission cooler, wiring harness, brake controller prep) from 2WD models and down-rated the tow capacity to 2000#. Before that (2009-2011) the 2WD models included the tow package and were rated for 3500# (I have a 2011 2WD). A cost-cutting, profit-generating move for Honda, as I see it.

WDH means "weight-distributing hitch" and it's a contraption that uses two large steel springs to transfer part of the tongue weight load from the rear wheels to the front. Honda says not to use it, nor should you need to. Scamp 16'ers should have tongue weights in the 225-275# range (side bath models tend to be lower, front bath models higher). A 4WD Pilot is rated for 450# on the tongue (somewhat less if there are more than two occupants).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #68

Arizona
Registry
Connie, I just saw your second post.

Any Pilot that is tow-rated for a larger trailer already has the HD ATF cooler. Since you are looking used, here are the ratings, to the best of my knowledge:
2009-2011: 2WD=3500/350; 4WD=4500/450; all have full tow package
2012-curr: 2WD=2000/200; 4WD=4500/450; only 4WD has full package

I don't know about the older, first generation, Pilots.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #69
MC1

Ontario
Connie... For the low cost of a tranny cooler it can be of great benefit and cause no harm.

Here is an image of a WDH. It transfers some of the trailer tongue weight to the front axles of the tow vehicle. Helps keep everything level. Can improve handling and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
mustang Stang hitch.JPG  
Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That WDH sure looks peculiar to me. 8 (EIGHT ) links, none hanging?
Mine is hooked on third link, leaving two hanging and the bars are level.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #71

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If I read it right, the Pilot manual says not to use weight distribution hitches and recommends premium gas when towing.
I can't speak for 2012 models, but my 2011 manual recommends premium for towing over 3500#.

You are right about the non-use of WDH. Seems to be a common restriction among modern unibody vehicles. Not that some people don't use them anyway, but you're on your own if you do.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #72
MC1

Ontario
I think the different brands/designs act differently when set up.

Our car is similar to your setup Glenn but this Mercedes SUV is different again.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch mercedes air Rclass set up.jpg   merc Air 12345.JPG  

Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #73

Washington
Thanks for the advice and the photos! Is the WDH the same as sway bars, or is that something different. I didn't seem to need anything towing my 13' Boler with the Subaru but this is definitely heavier.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #74

Arizona
Registry
Honda Pilot Towing

Sway bars are different. They work to minimize side-to-side motions. A properly engineered and correctly loaded trailer (tongue weight = 10-15% of total trailer weight) shouldn't normally "wag its tail." Some use a sway bar as an added measure of safety for unusual situations, such as a sudden gust of wind or an emergency lane change.

Actually, neither WDH nor sway bars are the most important thing you should be concerned about when moving up to a heavier trailer. Brakes are. Honda requires trailer brakes over 1000#. Make sure the brakes on your trailer are in good order, and get your new tow vehicle set up with a good brake controller.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #75

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Connie,

I towed with a lighter tow vehicle, a Honda CRV. I used a sway bar for most of our towing years and still do. Tow bars cost little, are easy to install and easy to use. We used one because when we were novices we were told that we'd be happy to have one in an (undefined) emergency situation. Not knowing anything we spent the $50.

We had two emergency situations. Did the sway bar help? Again I don't know but both situations ended without accident and the trailer behaved perfectly.

Our Honda CRV, similar to your Subaru, had a limited tongue capacity. We packed to minimize our tongue weight. Our tongue weighed between 200 and 220 lbs, typically in the 7-8% range.

A WDH helps by transferring weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle. Definitely a WDH performs a positive function though WDHs are not recommended for all tow vehicles.

Since you have a Scamp 16 with brakes, brakes should not be an issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #76

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Since you have a Scamp 16 with brakes, brakes should not be an issue.

Norm, I was just thinking that, given a 19 year old "new" trailer, having the brakes inspected and purchasing and installing a controller are higher priorities than adding a sway bar.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #77

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That WDH sure looks peculiar to me. 8 (EIGHT ) links, none hanging?
Mine is hooked on third link, leaving two hanging and the bars are level.
And I particularly like the way they jury-rigged the chain together with those nuts and bolts...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #78
MC1

Ontario
Connie..... I like safety devices which can include many things depending on the components inclusive to the particular rig.

In some cases I have seen WDH's, anti sway bars, tire upgrades, shock upgrades, etc. Every rig owner has a different set of standards when it comes to handling, performance, and safety.

I always suggest the use of a qualified towing pro/store to get your rig set up especially for folks who are new to the game.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #79
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
And I particularly like the way they jury-rigged the chain together with those nuts and bolts...
You have a good eye for the fine details Steve.

That nut and bolt is not holding two chains together. It is actually a very cool idea to fine tune the spring bar tension. I use the idea myself at times. From an engineering or safety aspect there is no foul. Works great.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #80
MC1

Ontario
Here is a closer look at the "nut and bolt" adjustment idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Nut and bolt Tension adjustments.jpg