Honda Ridgeline, Casita 17' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Tow vehicle

Thanks for the info on tow vehicles. So here is the deal, this is Maureen, Rich's widow. We have towed our 17 Casita with our 03 Tahoe for quite a few years. As I said I am changing my tv. Looking at Pilot or Treverse.
My question is.... yes, make sure it has factory tow package, but what parts does that include. I understand it will improved cooling, and, etc. Is it set that the receiver is installed, just pop my hitch in? Is wiring all set that I just need the controller installed? Am I asking the right questions? I'm doing this on my own and would like to keep camping. I have towed with our Tahoe so I know how to hitch up, sometimes using sway and equalizers.
Appreciate help, I want to do some fall camping, but not traveling to long of a distance.
Rich Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #22

Name: Keith
Trailer: 2016 Casita Freedom Deluxe
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
Honda improved the Ridgeline in the last couple years, but older (earlier than about 2018 -- not sure exactly what year) Ridgelines give very disappointing mileage towing.
Nope. Not true at all. I bought my Casita Freedom deluxe in Arizona and towed it through AZ, NM, TX and all the states between there and Long Island NY with my 2017 RTL-E Ridgeline. I was also shocked at the MPG's. Many times, while towing a 3200LB camper, I hit over 20 mpg for an entire tank not just 20 miles. I dont remember exact numbers but I think I may have gotten 23 on one tank! And empty, I have gotten 35mpg on a entire tank. That was on a 50mph road and NO trailer.
All the G2 ridgelines have the same engine, 280 HP and 262(?) tq. Same transmission also.
I love that truck and my Casita.
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #23

Name: Keith
Trailer: 2016 Casita Freedom Deluxe
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Law View Post
Thanks for the info on tow vehicles. So here is the deal, this is Maureen, Rich's widow. We have towed our 17 Casita with our 03 Tahoe for quite a few years. As I said I am changing my tv. Looking at Pilot or Treverse.
My question is.... yes, make sure it has factory tow package, but what parts does that include. I understand it will improved cooling, and, etc. Is it set that the receiver is installed, just pop my hitch in? Is wiring all set that I just need the controller installed? Am I asking the right questions? I'm doing this on my own and would like to keep camping. I have towed with our Tahoe so I know how to hitch up, sometimes using sway and equalizers.
Appreciate help, I want to do some fall camping, but not traveling to long of a distance.
where are you located? I have the G2 ridgeline so I am biased but I searched all pickups in that class(or close to that class).Toyota, chevy, gmc, ram ford.... The ridgeline won and I love it. I dont know about the others but the ridgeline is all set for the brake controller. Just buy one and plug it in. I bought the P3 <---link
Works great, once it is set, I dont even think about it.
And I love camping in the fall no AC or bug spray needed!
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
Just an update . . . I’m the OP. We’re almost home (Kansas) returning from our 3 1/2 week adventure to California. We’re pulling our Casita Spirit Deluxe with a Ridgeline (2018). The return route took us to Sacramento, then up to Truckee, north of Lake Tahoe, across Nevada and Southern Wyoming.

The Ridgeline continued to perform incredibly well. At no point did I feel the truck was overmatched or an issue. Full disclosure . . . My wife and I drive relatively slowly anyway . . . Between 60 and 68 mph. In the mountains, I let the engine rpm and noise tell me how fast to drive. Going up Parley Pass East of Salt Lake (prox 10 mile climb), I was going around 45 mph.

Bottom line . . . Put my driving style in context . . . But for me, the Ridgeline was really great. The total trip was around 4200 miles and our average, calculated by the truck was 18.8mpg. I know that’s off by maybe 8 or 9%, but mileage is not my primary concern or interest. Feeling safe hauling the trailer is my primary concern. Good mileage was a nice bonus.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #25

Name: Dayton
Trailer: NA
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Law View Post
Planning on changing our tow vehicle, so I am looking for thoughts. I don't want a truck, looking at SUV's. First off I want factory tow package so it can handle the towing, 5000lbs.
I have 2012 Casita Liberty. My tow vehicle will also be my daily driver. Looking at Chevy Traverse, GMC, and not sure what else. Any thoughts? What about Honda Pilot?
The Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia are fantastic vehicles. They are some of the best driving vehicles in their class according to journalists and share a platform with the Cadillac XT5!
docarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #26

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Casita
NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
Ridgeline towing assistance

So my takeaway from what I'm reading is that most do not use or feel the need for anti-sway devices or load distribution devices?
JLMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #27

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMathis View Post
So my takeaway from what I'm reading is that most do not use or feel the need for anti-sway devices or load distribution devices?
OP here . . . I did use a Reese Friction Anti Sway device with my Ridgeline, hauling the Casita. I've sold the Casita and am getting a slightly larger (and heavier) Escape 19 and will use the Reese Friction hitch with it as well.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

I use a weight distribution hitch without the sway option. The WDH seems to take care of any potential sway issues. I've had to take radical course correction a couple of times, and the trailer simply followed the tow.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #29

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Casita
NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
Ridgeline towing assistance

Does anyone use a WDH with their Ridgeline?
JLMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #30

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Does anyone use a WDH with their Ridgeline?

Yes! I think of it more as comfort hitch than a weight distribution hitch. Cuts way down on the porpoise effect on sectioned pavement. It does help redistribute the tongue weight too and helps you get better stopping power by transferring weight to the front wheels. We use the spring arm type, not the Anderson. It just plain works.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita