Hot Trailer Tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Under inflated?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb . . .

So, hubby went out and looked at the tires. It says max tire pressure is 50 psi cold. The right tire was 22 and the left was 26 cold. Would that have been under inflated? It says nothing about what is too low.

What is a good tire pressure to have them inflated to if max is 50? Should they be at 50? 40? What is the proper pressure?

I just bought a digital tire gauge at Costco.

I priced a repack and it was $110. Yikes, I like your price better John (20-30)! But yes, I think I'd rather have it done.
Hi: My repack was done at the same time as I was changing the tires over to radials so would be cheaper then...but shop around the R.V. dealers in your area. I run the pressure at 45 lbs. cold as they will heat up on the highway. Do not exceed the max. pressure for the tires. Most of all enjoy the trip and have fun trailering!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Under inflated?
I priced a repack and it was $110. Yikes, I like your price better John (20-30)! But yes, I think I'd rather have it done.
Did you call an RV store for the price?
I took my trailer to the local auto repair shop to have it done.
Labor was $30.00 but I forgot the seals were $11.00.If you can have any work done at a place other than an RV dealer you will save money.
It sounds like you got a Camping World price.

Enjoy,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Under inflated?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb . . .

So, hubby went out and looked at the tires. It says max tire pressure is 50 psi cold. The right tire was 22 and the left was 26 cold. Would that have been under inflated? It says nothing about what is too low.

What is a good tire pressure to have them inflated to if max is 50? Should they be at 50? 40? What is the proper pressure?
The correct pressure depends on what tire size you have. The best answer would be to know exactly what your trailer weighs on each side of the axle. Then you'd look up the load capacity for that tire and pick the pressure that carries the load. Any tire store I'm sure would look up the needed inflation for you.

Different people travel with different amounts of stuff packed in their trailer so your needed pressure may be different. Certainly it's a good starting point but on balance, and until you someday learn what your trailer weighs, it would probably be best to inflate to 50 psi when the tire is at ambient temperature.

Another approach would be that if you know what the axle rating of your trailer is (there should be a GVWR label fastened to the frame somewhere) you could use that weight number to look up the tire pressure. These labels don't always last so yours may not be still there.

Yet another approach would be to call the factory. They should know what the axle rating was for your trailer and could suggest a pressure. However, manufacturers tend to underestimate the weights of trailers so I return to my first recommendation to inflate to 50 psi if you have the original tire size on the trailer.

Lastly, tires don't heal. If your tires were in the mid-twenties when you were towing then I'm pretty sure you were under inflated. (So much depends on what tire size you have.) Even after upping the inflation, keep an eye on them through your trips. I'm not suggesting you become obsessed with them, but just take a quick walk around when you stop for gas or lunch. And check the pressure in your spare at home before you start off. You may not have done any lasting damage but eye-ballin' the tires once in awhile is a good idea anytime.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I priced a repack and it was $110.
The RV place I take my Fiber Stream to charges over $240 because of the double axles. They include a brake inspection and adjustment with that.
Since that area of expertise is not in my repertoire, I feel it is a good investment for me.

The company [b]I work for charges my customers over $100 per hour for my labor; there is a lot of other overhead besides my pay and benefits they have to cover.
What goes around comes around.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
$20 to $25 per wheel is more than enough for a repack and brake adjustment. In the case of 4 wheels it should not be more than $100.

It is my opinion that you are being riped off.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Another approach would be that if you know what the axle rating of your trailer is (there should be a GVWR label fastened to the frame somewhere) you could use that weight number to look up the tire pressure. These labels don't always last so yours may not be still there.
If you can't read the GVWR label, you can usually crawl under the trailer and find the axle tag or stenciling which should be there. I suspect the axle manf has a legal requirement to label it, just as the trailer manf has the GVWR requirement.

Safety-wise and tire life wise, it's better to err on the high pressure side than the low.

A field-expedient way to determine a good pressure is to mark a line in chalk across the tires and drive it around the block. If the outsides of the line are erased, the pressures are low; if the center is gone the pressure is high. But that may change at higher speeds with spinning forces working on the tires.

However, getting a trailer weighed should be on one's list so one can determine TPs and also set the proper tongue weight!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires