how hot is too hot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
how hot is too hot?

Hi Everybody,

Long story short, I pulled the hubs on my 2014 16' Scamp, and repacked the wheel bearings and adjusted the brakes. I just took it for a test drive down the freeway a couple exits and back (maybe 10 miles), and when I got home I found one hub (driver's side) is considerably warmer than the other - not hot, but definitely warmer than the other one, which was pretty much air temperature.

So the question is, is that temperature differential enough of a concern to pull the hub again and re-do the packing on that side?

Thanks for any advice.

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
A couple of things:

1. The retaining nut holding the hub on the axle should be tightened snug (with no wobble when you wiggle the wheel), then loosened 1/4 turn.

2. Temperatures under 200 degrees F are OK. Use a temperature gun to check temperature at the outer hub and also the brake drum if you are trying to track down the heat source.

3. On multiple occasions I've had problems indicated by large temperature differences (e.g., 30 degrees F or more). In each case the source of the problem was a brake. In one case, the brake magnet clip had broken, so the opposite brake was getting hot doing all of the work! In all other cases, just needed to adjust brake tightness on one side.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Also, recently after replacing the bearings and seals, I noted that one side was significantly warmer. Using the temperature gun, I determined that the difference was only about 25 degrees F. Both sides in were 110 to 140 degrees F. But I also noticed that the e-brakes were noisy and jerky when stopping. I disassembled to warmer side hub and inspected the brake. Everything was OK. Reassembled. Still a temperature difference. I reduced the braking power current and the "problem" went away.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
A couple of things:

1. The retaining nut holding the hub on the axle should be tightened snug (with no wobble when you wiggle the wheel), then loosened 1/4 turn.
A quarter turn is way too much...............

Thread on the spindle/nut is 1"-14 so each quarter turn is give or take, 0.018" (eighteen thousandths) and Timken recommends on everything from Semi trailers down to small trailers like this, 0.005" end play max. Even one flat could be too much (assuming the installer found zero end play by repeatedly tightening and loosening (gently) feeling for the sweet spot that is zero end play).

I changed my spindle nuts to the newest Dexter nuts which have 12 slots rather than 6, allowing for a finer adjustment.

Charles

Old 10-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
All of the above, but repacked bearings will run warmer than before until the excess grease has worked it's way out of the bearings.
Also brake issues will warm them up too.
I like to coast to a stop (more or less) at a rest area along a trip and then feel the hubs.
The sunny side will be warmer as well.
You should get in the habit of touching the hubs at almost every stop and get the "feeling" of normal heat.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
The side that's exposed to sun will always be somewhat hotter than the other side.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Get data not guesses. You can get an infrared thermometer at Harbor Freight or wherever for around $30. Well worth it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
How tight did tighten it? I'd back it off 1/4 turn and try it again.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita
Florida
We routinely check ours at gas/rest stops with a laser thermometer. Ours consistently runs between 100-120 depending on the ambient temp. Both sides are usually within a 5 degrees of each other.
woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Wheel bearings are almost universally over packed with grease. You need enough grease to coat the surfaces byt not so much grease tht the grease is pumping in a circle! Pumping causes heat.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #11

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
The warmer side could be the result of the brakes being a little "over adjusted." Don't worry about a slight difference if you can still hold your hand on the hub.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
All of the above, but repacked bearings will run warmer than before until the excess grease has worked it's way out of the bearings....
IMHO I agree that it is normal, or at least common and not a concern, to see one or both bearings running a little warm for a few miles after a repack. I don't worry about it unless its too hot for me to keep my hand on the hub.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Timken says 1/4 turn and they also say 0.005". But, they also say more than just those two things.

Personally, I'd consult their website to see what-all they have to say.

https://www.timken.com/resources/man...18a-laminated/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote