How long is your rig and will it fit in my parent's driveway? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
How long is your rig and will it fit in my parent's driveway?

In preparing to go fulltime, as I try and decide between a FGRV and a Class B motorhome, one concern is the ability to stay with friends and family. I like my family quite a bit and I'd like the ability to stay with them w/out too much trouble.

Today my father measured his driveway @ 50 ft long. They have a garage for one car and the other car is 15ft 9in long (honda accord). So I have ~34 ft. to -play with here. Something tells me that's not going to be enough, but does anyone know what the total length of say, a Honda CRV + 13ft Scamp and on the longer end a Ford F-150 and a 17ft Casita?

Thanks!
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Last time we went to NL our Honda CRV and Scamp 16 measured at 30 feet for the ferry. If it were a Scamp 13 it would have been 27. That is in a connected state.

At home in NH and FL we park the Scamp on our lawn.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
These lengths are all on-line at the MFG's sites or just Google the question. Add about 12" for the hitch and you will be very close.

Without knowing what year CRV or what year and model F-150 you are looking at, you really can't expect an accurate answer.

New F-150's range from 228"-251" + 156" for a 13' FGRV = 32' to 34'
A 2015 CRV is about 180" + 156" = 28', all sizes plus hitch length.
Add 48" for the Casita.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Tacoma with Scamp 19 5th wheel is 30', it would be almost exactly the same with a 16' Scamp. The 5th wheel overhang does not add anything to the total length. The bottom part of both the 16' and 19' comes out of the same mold, I suspect.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Ford F-150 + Escape 5.0TA fits the same footprint as my Ford F-150 and 16' Scamp and the Escape is 7 feet longer INSIDE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Connecticut
It looks like with 34 feet to work with I'd be in luck. Thanks very much everyone.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Before retiring I was trying to decide what type of camper was best for me. I was really leaning toward getting a class B. My second choice was a Scamp. I got a good deal on a Scamp so I went fiberglass. On my first extended CG stay I camped next to a tricked out class B. I was free to come and go as I plesed, sight seeing, shopping and eating out. The guy in the Class B had to break camp anytime he went anywhere. Disconnect water/electric/sewer, stow awning, chairs, bikes and all the other stuff inside just to get a loaf of bread or milk. Also Class B's usually don't have much storage space. A slide in PU has the same issues unless you onload the camper. A 15 minute trip to the store turn into an almost two hour exercise.
That first trip confirmed I made the right decision on going with a detached smaller trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Bryce, 34' should give you plenty of options. Eddie, that was one of the reasons we went with a FG trailer.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bryce,

A longer term consideration when choosing between a Class B and a Trailer is the class B only has value if the engines in good condition.. With a motorhome of any class, engine failures become significant cost items. As well the typical owner usually has a second vehicle for their normal life.

Another issue is motorhomes spend a lot of their life sitting. The life of engines (and tires) are not prolonged by long idle times.

With a small trailer your tow vehicle can serve as you every day ride. In ten years you replace it and the trailer still has value.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Connecticut
I definitely wouldn't buy a Class B for it to sit at my house....I'd be selling the house and fulltiming, thus using whatever setup I have 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bryce,

A longer term consideration when choosing between a Class B and a Trailer is the class B only has value if the engines in good condition.. With a motorhome of any class, engine failures become significant cost items. As well the typical owner usually has a second vehicle for their normal life.

Another issue is motorhomes spend a lot of their life sitting. The life of engines (and tires) are not prolonged by long idle times.

With a small trailer your tow vehicle can serve as you every day ride. In ten years you replace it and the trailer still has value.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #11

Connecticut
And I think my parent's driveway is pretty typical. So visiting friends across the country wouldn't be a huge deal perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Bryce, 34' should give you plenty of options. Eddie, that was one of the reasons we went with a FG trailer.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...With a small trailer your tow vehicle can serve as your every day ride. In ten years you replace it and the trailer still has value.

And if the trailer happens to be molded fiberglass, it may even appreciate in value.

I wouldn't counsel anyone to buy a molded fiberglass trailer as an investment. But as recreation vehicles go, they make a lot more financial sense that most of the alternatives.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
And I think my parent's driveway is pretty typical. So visiting friends across the country wouldn't be a huge deal perhaps.

I imagine it varies a lot. None of my in-laws in CA have off-street space for any kind of camper. They all live in single family units in HOA communities. In some cases, HOA rules limit how long I can park it on the streets nearby. You'll have to plan ahead and take it on a case-by-case basis.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Each of my two TVs the drawbar adds less than 5" to the overall rig length, remember the hitch overlaps the ball on the drawbar.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Sounds like you have a good answer. Another option to class B is a truck camper. Requires a bigger vehicle, but they are outstanding for boondocking-even if in a driveway if you use a solar option.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

Connecticut
That's a good point. But fortunately where I would be visiting friends and family here in the NE, I'm familiar with their homes/setups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I imagine it varies a lot. None of my in-laws in CA have any off-street space for any kind of camper. And in some cases, HOA rules limit how long I can park it on the streets nearby. You'll have to plan ahead and take it on a case-by-case basis.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hope you've consulted with friends and family.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Connecticut
In the end it comes down to how much boondocking am I ~really~ going to do once I get out there. I think in my dreams, staying for free everywhere sounds wonderful, but I just don't know how that's possible (especially in the NE where we're a little more densely populated), and I fully admit I won't know how to sort out boondocking until I get out there myself. If I were boondocking in big cities, the Class B would be wonderful where I'm staying in a spot for a night, and then moving on. But if I had a FBRV, those free nights in the city would cost $ because I'd have to have a campsite for the trailer. Now the purchase/replacement cost of a Class B vs. FGRV may more than offset those savings over a say 10 yr. time frame, but it's still something I think about.

I don't understand how some folks report only paying for campsites 20-30% of the time, if they are ~actually~ traveling the country quite a bit (as opposed to staying put on BLM land for months). Are they staying with family and friends a lot in their driveways? Can anyone shed some insight there?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #19

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Bryce, My 2011 Ford F-150 Crew Cab is approx 22 ft long and my 16 ft U-Haul VT is approx 16'8" long. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
In preparing to go fulltime, as I try and decide between a FGRV and a Class B motorhome, one concern is the ability to stay with friends and family. I like my family quite a bit and I'd like the ability to stay with them w/out too much trouble.

Today my father measured his driveway @ 50 ft long. They have a garage for one car and the other car is 15ft 9in long (honda accord). So I have ~34 ft. to -play with here. Something tells me that's not going to be enough, but does anyone know what the total length of say, a Honda CRV + 13ft Scamp and on the longer end a Ford F-150 and a 17ft Casita?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20150626_151627.jpg  
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Tacoma with Scamp 19 5th wheel is 30', it would be almost exactly the same with a 16' Scamp. The 5th wheel overhang does not add anything to the total length. The bottom part of both the 16' and 19' comes out of the same mold, I suspect.
My Ranger shortbox regular cab is three feet shorter than a Tacoma 4dr and my Scamp13 is three feet shorter than a Scamp16.
My rig is just under 29 feet.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote