How Old Is Too Old (For a New Tire) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How Old Is Too Old (For a New Tire)

I bought new tires for my Scamp yesterday (and I appreciate the many long tire threads- they were helpful in making my decision). I had dropped off the wheels a few days earlier, and due to a tight schedule, I just let them load the wheels, new rubber fitted, into my vehicle and left.

My mistake. When I got home I checked the dates, and it turns out one is 7 months old and the other is 13 months old! I had made it clear I expected "fresh" tires and was assured they were "brand new."

I am preparing to deal with the tire shop today. We are leaving on a trip Sunday afternoon, so that complicates matters. I bought them from Discount Tire, with whom I have a long and generally good relationship. I am in a rural location with limited stock of this tire. I might be able to get to a Discount location in Phoenix Monday morning, though it would put us several hours behind schedule. I still have the old tires, and, worst case, they are probably good for one more trip.

I expected reasonably matched dates no more than 4 months old, maybe 6 months at the outside. Am I being unreasonable? What would you do? Any other thoughts?

BTW- I intentionally did not mention the tire brand or model, because I know where that will go...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jon in AZ... Bout average for trailer tires I'd say!!! I deal with an RV Dealer for all things trailer.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Be nice if they have more in stock of the fresher tire. I think it would be easier to go back to the dealer who sold you the tires. My guess is the next tire in the stack or rack would match one of your existing. The older or newer depending on how well they rotate stock.

Have to ask yourself are these tires going to die of old age in different years or camping seasons from the few months difference in age? Or are you going to "retire" them due to mileage and age won't make much difference. (yes pun was intended and bad)

I can understand your frustration after taking your time to learn about tires so you can make the best possible purchase and getting assurances that are not met. Call the store and tell them that. They may well bend over backwards to make amends if you give them the chance. And they could be helpful in lining up that fresher tire for you if they don't have it or you need to get it at a different location.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Pretty much what I am hoping for, Roger. If they can come up with another of the newer, I will be satisfied- not happy, but satisfied. If they can't, I would consider a discount as "new old" stock, but it would have to apply to both tires, since I will obviously replace both when the older ages out.

I ought to have some leverage, since I have bought 16 tires from them over the last 4 years and another 4 pricey ones for the Pilot soon.

I appreciate the thoughts. Lessons learned: (1) ask to see the actual tires before making any commitment, and (2) don't wait until 5 days before leaving on a trip!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #5

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Hey Jon;
I'd be a bit upset at the older tire, but part of the equation is: how long do you usually go before having to replace tires? Generally tires are good for 5 to 10 years, depending on use, storage, (who you believe) etc. If you normally replace tires due to wear or caution every 5 years or so then I wouldn't worry about your current set. Otherwise, give the tire shop a stern word or two!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
When you are in the grocery, sure it is nice to get the freshest whatever, let's say milk, possible. Does it really make a difference? Maybe so, likely not.

From the standpoint of the business, it must become almost impossible to operate a retail store these days. Poor guy faces being called unethical for selling perfectly good milk. And who knows, the freshness of the milk may have already factored in the negotiations? Now I understand why dates are often in codes.

Let's say one carton of milk with a 10 year life is a year old. Would a 10% price adjustment be fair? Or should we just hang the crooked milk man?

There's a few people reading this kicking themselves, because they bought their new tires last September and they sat. There are others reading this facing fatal diseases, who wish they could trade problems and take one more trip.

Enjoy your trip!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think your over reacting. The tires are stored inside and not exposed to the elements. If you want your cake and eat it too then you should have put it in writing on your purchase contract. That way no one could weasel out. At this point if I was so distraught I would buy another tire and move the older tire to the spare where it will rot off and die of old age. Or buy another year old tire and move the newest one to the spare location. In hind sight buying tires right after the summer season get you a better chance at the tire Lotto.

Do you really expect the tire shop to only sell tires that are the newest available?

Give this a thought. You go to the tire store who gives the greatest deal on tires . How do they get their tires cheaper than anyone else? Could it be that they buy tire lots that are already getting old and the Manufactures have to move them? Currently there is no law specifying how old is a new tire that is still a new tire. After 100 years they have come to an agreement that a 6 year old tire is not to be work on. Good luck finding a federal law stating that, its mostly Insurance company's for the dealers and some state and local laws.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
When you are in the grocery, sure it is nice to get the freshest whatever, let's say milk, possible. Does it really make a difference? Maybe so, likely not.

From the standpoint of the business, it must become almost impossible to operate a retail store these days. Poor guy faces being called unethical for selling perfectly good milk. And who knows, the freshness of the milk may have already factored in the negotiations? Now I understand why dates are often in codes.

Let's say one carton of milk with a 10 year life is a year old. Would a 10% price adjustment be fair? Or should we just hang the crooked milk man?

There's a few people reading this kicking themselves, because they bought their new tires last September and they sat. There are others reading this facing fatal diseases, who wish they could trade problems and take one more trip.

Enjoy your trip!
I like the milk analogy...
When I had all my kids at home it only had to be "in date" for me to buy it since it would gone in a day or two. Now in our "empty nest" I have to check the dates if I want to use the whole gallon!
Still, how it is kept and stored makes a big difference regardless of date..

You will likely rotate the best tire to the spare position next time you buy anyway, while discarding the worst of the two. I don't think either tire is old enough for concern.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Tom, I appreciate your reminder to take a deep breath and count what really matters. My wife is with her sister, who has late stage terminal cancer. We'll be camping nearby, and probably saying goodbye to a wonderful person. Seven months ago she was perfectly healthy. I am the same age as my sister-in-law. Every day, every trip, is a precious gift.

I just got off the phone with Discount. I found out they are in the process of switching to a different in-stock brand, so all their current stock of this particular tire is older. They graciously offered to refund the installation charge, roughly equivalent to a 25% discount on the tire price, and I accepted the offer. It reminds me of why I continue to do business with them.

This purchase caught me off-guard because the last set of tires I bought for my utility trailer were only about 3 months old.

All is well, and I appreciate the input from this seasoned community.

Now to mount the wheels and pack the trailer!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Have a safe journey. I Wish you and your family the best with all that you have to deal with.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I had made it clear I expected "fresh" tires and was assured they were "brand new."

Your words.

I would say you got what you asked for!

Your tires were "Fresh" and "Brand New"!

Trailer tires are produced OVERSEA'S with one exception (The Brand New Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tire), shipped on a BIG BOAT to a USA warehouse, shipped via truck, warehoused again at the local/regional tire distributor, distributed to your local tire store and THEN sold to you!

You can only hope that the warehouse personnel at the minimum of 2 warehouses in which your "New" tires will sit before sale to you rotate their inventory rather than the much easier "First in First Out" method that poorly run warehouses utilize. "Fresh" inventory can be a crap shoot at best concerning vehicle tires much less trailer tires particularly when there is only ONE TRAILER TIRE made in the USA.

That means that unless you purchased a Goodyear Endurance trailer tire your "New Trailer Tires" came all the way from ASIA on a big boat so you can add that "Warehouse" to the above equation.

I would say anything less than 6 months old for a "New" Trailer tire you purchase in the good ole USA would be rare these days given the supply and distribution chain!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
I think we're way to sensitive about this whole 10 or 12 year rule re: tire longevity. I see this new industry norm as merely a CYA move by tire makers to minimize their future liability (and to sell new tires). I have friends with old Willys jeeps running their original 60-70 year old tires. Yes, I know these are old style "analog" tires, but you see my point.

I think if a tire has been cared for and stored out of constant sun light, and you know they have not had severe service, and they have no apparent defects or cracking, run them forever or until they get down to 2/32 inch. When they're done, they're done regardless of a date code.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
That's pretty much what they told me, Mike. They did seem somewhat apologetic about the 13 month tire.

So I am deciding:
less than 4 months: jackpot!
4 to 8 months: you did well
8 to 12 months: par for the course
over 12 months: worth asking for an adjustment

Tom, perhaps it depends on where you run the tires. I'm not picturing any of those Willys jeeps running 75 mph on the interstate across the AZ desert in summer! (Okay, 65 with a trailer...)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I learned during my purchase last fall....CALL Discount Tire and they will order what you want. I asked them SPECIFICALLY for the dates before they ordered. They didnt respond for a couple of days, I ordered elsewhere. They called me the day after I ordered and told me they were in...and I'm like, I didnt tell you to order because I wanted to know the dates!!

They too were apologetic (and their dates matched the 3-4 months dates of the tires i ordered) and asked me to bring the wheels. My wife did and they mounted AND balanced the "MAXXIS" (Best tire btw ) for FREE!! And I didnt even purchase the tires from them!!

They have my business now.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
As long as the "new" tire is stored indoors, I don't think it has a "half life" to worry about.
The warranty should start on day of first service. Go ahead and run with it.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
I had go go back and re-read the original post. Tires are not like milk,they don't spoil! They don't deteriorate under normal storage conditions.
If you were to buy a new car would you expect the dealer to change out the tires of the car had been sitting on the lot for a long time?
Dealers keep a good supply of tired in stock for a good reason and that is availability. Supposing you blew a tire on your trailer or your car? Would you want to wait up to 2 weeks for the dealer to order a tire through the distributor who in turn, would order it from the factory.? No of course not.
The tire will be on the trailer many years. They will either wear out or finally start deteriorating from exposure to the sun and ultra violet rays.
The dealer is to be commended for giving you the discount.
Please take this response as an explanation not a criticism. I have had a lot of experience in supply chain management.
Above all please remember a tire is not like a perishable food item or a product that has an expiry date
Have fun camping
exbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Roger, and I have concluded I probably did over-react. I also agree the tire dealer was more than generous (and I wrote this morning to let them know).

I don't completely agree about the whole "expiration date" analogy, though. Tires do deteriorate with time apart from use, though (as others have pointed out) not so much while in storage before being placed in service. However, there is a date beyond which a tire shop will not balance a tire, repair a flat, etc., and that decision is going to be based on the date of manufacture. Many shops put that date as early as 6 years, so that means in 5 years one of the tires will be considered unserviceable.

I plan to keep the tires on the road 6-7 years, so it could matter. We only tow about 2K miles a year, so our tires will age out before they wear out. Our desert conditions and temperatures are pretty hard on tires, both in storage and on the road, and the consequences of a failure on a single axle egg can be catastrophic, so I prefer to be conservative.

On the whole I'm rather less concerned about expiration dates on food...
Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As an aside tires are made of rubber compounds, which means that the various rubbers are mixed in a big Banberry mixer and then rolled out into strips to make tires.
The point is that even after they are cured they are still compounds and a part of that is oils.
The reason tires that are not used tend to fail is that the rolling under load "stirrs" the oil and keeps the compounds as designed.
A tire that is used has fewer problems with dry rot than one that is used.
So hitch up that trailer and go camping!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Tires deteriorate from the inside out, the compounds as noted by others break down. Heat is a huge factor in how long a tire remains trustworthy. It is why high speed, or under inflation which causes tire to flex and run hotter will both accelerate deterioration. And in Arizona I'm a thinking ambient heat might sort of kind of be... something along the lines of brutal?

Don't feel too bad about a tire purchase 5 days before, once when a much younger man I was still putting the top half of the motor homes engine together 3 days before we left for a 2,400 mile trip. Wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been snowing. There was a time I could represent young and foolish better than most.

Glad to hear that Discount provided a satisfactory resolution. And your reasonable attitude probably helped the whole situation. Sorry to hear the reason for your trip. Reminder to us all to make memories with the ones we love.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Many people swear by Discount Tires . My experience has been swearing about / at Discount Tires . Rather deal with my small local tire dealer than fight with a large chain that could not care less.
Just my experience , tried them once , never again.
Bought new trailer tires from a local shop and tires were less than 3 months old and at a better price than DT.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote