Hunter Compact-I or II Axle changeout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hunter Compact-I or II Axle changeout

If anyone has changed out a Hunter Compact I or II drop axle for a straight axle, and can post information on the parts sources and specifications, it would be appreciated. I have 38" for spring centers and 56" hub to hub in my notes. Is that correct for ordering?

Thank You

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I can't help with dimensions but have been under the impression that spring centers are determined when the spring perches are welded on. I bought an axle from the local Dexter distributor and the only dimension needed was hub face to hub face. The perches were included with the axle but they were just loose parts.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
Bob, did you ever find out exact measurement on compact 11 axle? I bought a 1974 compact 11 this week after 2 years stalking and searching. It has the drop axle, which I want to put straight axle on with brakes . That will give me the opportunity to put 14" tires on. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Packdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

No, that project got delayed due to travel. I will be back on it in a few weeks.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Compact straight axle

Tim,

If you want to see what a straight axle and 14" wheels look like on your trailer, check out my Registry:
SouthwestOregon201

I did this build on a 1974 CI because I needed more heighth for my particular tow vehicle. I think it added about 4" to the ground clearance. The axle was built without brakes, but you can see what it looks like.

The 1974 was my second CII, the first being a 1972. Each model is in my Registry. My current CII is a 1975 and someday that axle/brakes will get replaced but I have no dimensions right now.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks for the input. I have watched your "Reno" on your compact Hunter. Really impressed with your work. I tow with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. It towed the compact quite easily. I would like brakes for safety reasons, plus I would like to have 14 " tires on it.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Texas
Bob, I have a 1974 compact 2 with the dropped axle. My measurement from hub face to hub face is 57 1/4 . My spring center to center is 26 3/4. (Previous owner said springs were replaced about 10 yrs ago.). I am seriously thinking of replacing the current axle with same. I like the idea of keeping my trailer low. That way I will have easily attainable bearings in the future.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Thanks for the information, I have written it down in my Hunter manual.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question What are the characteristics of your current axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packdaddy View Post
I am seriously thinking of replacing the current axle with same. I like the idea of keeping my trailer low. That way I will have easily attainable bearings in the future.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ang-64664.html

I replaced the drop axle on my Compact Jr. with another drop axle because I wanted to keep my trailer low as well. BUT the original axle was a 2" square solid bar with holes drilled instead of perches added. The new axle is a 2" round hollow tube with the perches, which adds another inch to the diameter thus raising the trailer slightly from the original stance. The holes in the original bar were drilled through the bar, allowing the springs to be mounted to either side. I had 2 sets of perches welded to the round tube to maintain this flexibility. Just another detail to think about.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Texas
Frederick, what is the weight rating on your axle?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packdaddy View Post
Frederick, what is the weight rating on your axle?
2,000 Lbs
Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 AM   #12

Texas
Thanks for the info. I took my compact 2 to public scales and it weight in at 1,080 lbs. no appliances, just benches and a light table. I'm hoping to stay around 1600 lbs when done adding my needs inside. A 3500 lb axle seems a little overkill, so I'm going to see what is available in the mid 2,000 lb range.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:08 PM   #13

Name: Amelia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Tim,

If you want to see what a straight axle and 14" wheels look like on your trailer, check out my Registry:
SouthwestOregon201

I did this build on a 1974 CI because I needed more heighth for my particular tow vehicle. I think it added about 4" to the ground clearance. The axle was built without brakes, but you can see what it looks like.

The 1974 was my second CII, the first being a 1972. Each model is in my Registry. My current CII is a 1975 and someday that axle/brakes will get replaced but I have no dimensions right now.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Dave, do you think 14" would fit the original trailer? Just got mine and my tires are dry-rotted, since I'm swapping them out I'd like to get the bigger size if possible.

I'll eventually have to replace the entire trailer eventually but I've got to get her road capable within the next 20 days... thanks!
Amelia and Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle