I need a new tow vehicle, are automatics as good as manual transmissions nowadays? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #161

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
...There are laws and consumer groups that protect people from companies that deny unrelated warranty claims because of what they call "unauthorized work", but it rarely comes to that. Get the wiring done, add a controller and done. If and when you ever have a warranty claim for anything electrical (highly unlikely) there probably won't be a problem.
On the other hand, if your wiring DOES cause a problem with the vehicle's electric system then YMMV. But does that happen? The latest stories about Subaru model(s) is the only time I think I have heard of possible problems from a normally properly done brake controller install.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #162

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Just a question . If you install an after market brake controller on a vehicle where the vehicle manufacturers says not to and you damage the vehicles computer what do you do for a vehicle while you fight this protracted fight with the auto makers ?

When I had an after market brake controller installed in my 2011 truck , I was told if the truck is plug and play then no problem but if not and they had to cut into the vehicles wiring , I would have to install it myself because they would not take the liability .

Maybe it's me but I would not jack around with a new,vehicle but that's not my decision to make in this case
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #163

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd be curious to hear details of the aftermarket installation recently reported. Who did it and how?

Subaru says it can't be done. Scamp seems to be agreeing, though they are probably just responding to what customers are being told by Subaru.

If Subaru is right, they are assuming surge brakes only on trailers in that 1000-1500 pound window. That's what U-Haul uses, I believe. That certainly warrants a caveat in the paragraph on trailer brakes in the manual.

A Forester owner's forum would be a place to find more information. I'll bet there's already some chatter.

If this represents a trend in new vehicles, it will be interesting to see how Tekonsha and others respond.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #164

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
On my Ram the 4 pin plug and play connector was there from the factory but the cable that connects the brake controller to the vehicle's computer was not nor was the computer programmed to accept the brake controller .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #165

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
trailer brakes

I bought the Forester new in 2015 without a hitch. Two months later, I brought the car to an auto service center in CT. that installs trailer hitches and brake controllers. I had them install a class III hitch with wiring for the trailer brake lights. At that time I was towing a trailer and motorcycle weighing about 1,000 lbs. When I decided to buy the Scamp and was told by Scamp the unit would weigh 1,250 lbs. and they recommended trailer brakes, I ordered the brakes for the Scamp. I brought the car back to the service center and had them install the electronic brake controller and Bargman 7 pin plug. Then I drove to Backus, MN. picked up the Scamp, plugged in the Bargman plug and have driven the vehicle 3,000 miles towing the trailer. I have had no issues at all and don't expect to. The Subaru manual says to install trailer brakes if you are towing more than 1,000 lbs. but then refuses to do the work if you have a trailer weighing more than 1,000 lbs? That makes no sense! The Forester has the six speed manual transmission.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #166

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Tony. Since yours is a 2015 and the OP's is a brand-new 2018, it's quite possible something has changed.

As to the dealer not supplying the brake wiring, that is normal in this size vehicle. If they sell a thousand, I'll bet fewer than ten are used to tow, and only one or two with electric trailer brakes. There is no reason for the dealer to stock the parts, train the techs, etc. when there is a whole aftermarket industry specializing in towing set-up. Sending you aftermarket relieves the manufacturer and dealer of any potential liability for improper installation or misuse.

It isn't until you get into larger crossovers and trucks with tow ratings over 4000 pounds that you begin to see factory integrated or dealer installed 7-pin trailer wiring.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #167

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jon I think I would rather rely on a trailer specilast than a dealer for this stuff!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #168

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'm not sure I understand why a conventional trailer brake controller would have any impact on the vehicle ECM(computer). The trailer brake controller inputs are A) ignition switched power, ground, C) high current power, D) brake light, and E) mechanical inertia (if its a proportional controller). its output is the power wire to the trailer brakes, which isn't connected to the rest of the vehicle at all.

the controller should draw virtually no current off the brake light circuit, so any canbus 'bulb monitoring' shouldn't see it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote