Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo
I owed a RAV4 V6 Sport, with tow package, and never considered it a truck.
Agree I also see it as a car but under law it maybe a truck.
Just that in Ontario most if not all mid to large suv's are in the traffic laws as trucks and set a total tow rule weight for unit and trailer total.
In the case of the cars we have a load limit it is posted at driver door;
- 825 lbs is our cars limit. The passengers, cargo, hitch weight, WD or drawbar, and tongue weight can not go over this or fine is per kg. it can cost!
- We also only need 8% to 9% on tongue but do not think this is law.
The do not consider the trailer total weight but maybe the feel they do not need to with a car as we have a tongue and hitch limit that should limit trailer size.
Rules for both cars and trucks below
- 50% rule if trailer is over 3500 lbs or is over 50% of the towing vehicle weight it needs electric brakes
. (or electric over hydraulic)
- breakaway switch and must be working with battery
for disconnect if brakes
required or are installed.
total weight limit and axle
limit must total more than loaded trailer. We have D rated ST tires
for this reason it is over kill but better than a fine
- chains, hitch lock or pin, working lights
as required, mirrors as needed
- Our trailer size means we need a class ll hitch minimum they do not make WD for them so we have an expensive custom class lll frame hitch made for unibody. Hitch needs to meet or exceed trailer requirements
Do not think missed anything but please forgive me if I did.
We went to Andy the trailer hitch specialist at Can-AmRV in London Ontario and the MTO to make sure we were legal. When we got the boler
the MTO person helped with explaining all the laws for towing with a car and Andy took our original hitch and modified it into a frame hitch for our car as it is unibody.
When we were new to the boler
we went on line, got truck info from people as it seems most pull with a truck no mater how light
the trailer. Few knew cars are different under the law so instead insisted on us using truck rules.
Large truck means more gas and the money can be put to fun instead.
That was over ten years ago and the boler is a dream to pull.