Installation of bike rack on Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Martins HeirCon;510897]

What did you use for the upper clamping arms?

What I did on one rack I made was buy the post and hooks for a Swagman bike rack. A bike has to go on each side of the post, a padded hook slides down the post and over the bike frame to hold it in position. Look up Swagman XC rack to see how it works
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
B

Bike rack for camper trailer.
Camping season is around the corner. I am in the process of completion my bicycle rack. Camper is 1980 Trillium1300. Bike rack is home-made with different optional uses and capable for 4 bicycles. When completing the work ( next 3 days ) I would post all photos for members to see. Optional uses are:
-With TV is full size truck or minivan, rack will be installed in front of camper(b/t TV and trailer) due to the capability of stronger rear suspension of TV.
-With TV is small car/cross-over 4 cylinders and WITH HEAVY CARGO INSIDE TRAILER, rack will be installed at the rear of trailer.
-With TV is small car/cross-over 4 cylinders WITHOUT CARGO INSIDE TRAILER AND FOR LONG HAUL, rack will be left at home and all 4 bicycles will be stored inside trailer. See you, members in the next 3 days with photos in details. Cheer.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 AM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Bike Rack considerations

Hi Jackie,

I'm till considering options for a hitch mount type rack. Just took the plunge and purchased a 1UP USA Double Heavy Duty quick rack for the Tow Vehicle. The big plus with this rack is a quick load and unload and no contact with the bike frame. I'm still leaning towards a fix like Glenn and David have mentioned in their posts.

BTW ,Glenn and David would you have any pictures showing the attachment configuration?
My train of thought is to have a receiver fastened/welded like you gents have done, then just switch the whole rack to the trillium for trips with the camper.
I'll try to add a picture of the remaining frame at my bumper-which will likely get cut off or reinforced as per Glen and David's set up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7309.JPG  
Randy C in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #24

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428537968.378085.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	82395

Nothing fancy, just a hunk of 3 in. channel I had laying around. Hard to see here, but I also added another piece of angle iron to the original under-the-dinette crossmember, to have a flat surface for the leveling jacks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #25

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
I had a rack on my rear bumper that took so much torque that the weld ripped. BEWARE. I got a triangle of metal welded on both intersections of bumper attachments to add strength. Do a search on here, I have posted pics before.
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #26

Name: Brandin
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Swagman makes one

Swagman makes an RV bike rack that looks pretty great. It just clamps onto the bumper of the boiler/trillium/camper. It's available in Canada through MEC, and I'm sure a place like REI would have it in the US.

Swagman S/O 4 Bike RV Bumper Rack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
Trilliumtrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium