installing an anti-sway bar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
installing an anti-sway bar

Can anyone recommend a place near Phoenix, AZ that can attach a sway bar to my 16ft Scamp? I've gone to Roger's RV (in Glendale) in the past, but he's just not the nicest guy and is impatient. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:57 AM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I'm not from your area so can not suggest an installer. I have used 2 bolt on mounts which have worked well and were very easy to install. I ordered the last from etrailer.
Any company in your area that installs hitches should be able to help you.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Look for hitch shops, not necessarily RV specific. They may have the anti-sway bar in stock if you haven't purchased one already.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
installing and anti’ sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
I'm not from your area so can not suggest an installer. I have used 2 bolt on mounts which have worked well and were very easy to install. I ordered the last from etrailer.
Any company in your area that installs hitches should be able to help you.
How about an anti-sway bar for a smaller RV? I have a Scamp 13ft. I am concerned about wind when I go over a bridge or a large 18 wheeler passes me. If it lengthened the hitch that would give a longer turning radius for backing also. what are some of my options? if any.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
How about an anti-sway bar for a smaller RV?
This is what is used for small trailers w/o a WD hitch.https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17200
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 09-42-02 Sway Control Kit.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
MJo

Massachusetts

so the website says, “fits most weight distribution hitches” and I just have an off the shelf hitch. Is this something that could be done in a backyard or does it require welding, mentioned in the ad.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #7

Tennessee
If you look at the additional pictures via the link, you can see that one end of the bar connects to the trailer and the other to the hitch mount, via the small ball mounts and cotter pins. You can drill holes and attach the mount to the side of the trailer tongue. I did this once and found it hard to drill through the trailer tongue. May have had the wrong drill bit but it took awhile. Or it can be welded. The other end will have to be welded to your ball mount (that slides into your hitch receiver.) See the pics. You can also buy a ball mount with the tab already attached. As above, easiest to find a hitch shop and have it done. You do not need to have a WD system to use this device. Most small trailers use them, they really do work well.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
MJo

Massachusetts

I’d buy the hitch that had the plate, cheaper if I can do it myself.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #9

Tennessee
Ball mount with sway control tab is what it's called. You have to figure the proper hitch size and drop for your rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 15-26-10 Curt Ball Mount w Sway Control Tab for 2 Hitches - 3 4 Rise, 2.png  
Old 01-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I tried one of these some years ago but it made very little difference. I don't know how others found this but I haven't used it since. I was towing a 26 foot trailer with a half ton van and found the wind rocked the trailer and the rear of the van around quite a bit. The unit had an adjustable friction fit mechanism to retard lateral movement.
I added two additional leaves to each spring on the rear of the van and put HD shocks for a 3/4 tonne on all four corners. I was already running 8 ply tires which I'm sure helped as well.
I would be interested to learn how other have found these.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
so the website says, “fits most weight distribution hitches” and I just have an off the shelf hitch. Is this something that could be done in a backyard or does it require welding, mentioned in the ad.
Look on eTrailer.com for an installation video. It’s pretty straightforward. You can then decide if you need help and how much. “Fits most WDH” simply means it is compatible, not that you have to use one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #12
MJo

Massachusetts

Thank you for clarifying that. I’ve seen comments that small RV’s can be difficult with sway and actually I had a brief sway problem which I think I caused by going too fast and was able to correct by slowing down. But I am still nervous about going over bridges and near semi’s. Weight distribution seems to be one that I can control.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #13

California
I ran into another Scamp owner w/ a 16 footer and he used this one. I’m pretty sure he welded it on. He says he no longer gets sway on windy passes. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
E08BA706-300D-4749-A39D-0ECE2CE3B5CC.jpg   605CC557-4C80-45B4-8059-3BEBCD636579.jpg  

Old 01-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #14

California
I have used these for several years. They work well. No welding necessary. The bolt on frame mount is on my Compact jr. It's welded to the frame of my Scamp 16. The hitch mount is made to be secured by the ball and locks on tightly. Quick and easy.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #15

California
Quote:
I have used these for several years. They work well. No welding necessary. The bolt on frame mount is on my Compact jr. It's welded to the frame of my Scamp 16. The hitch mount is made to be secured by the ball and locks on tightly. Quick and easy.
Hi Terry, thanks for the feedback. You say it’s “welded” to the tongue on your Scamp? So there is welding involved? The folks who showed it to me also agreed that it’s easy (and not heavy). Did you install it yourself?
Old 01-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #16

California
I installed them myself. It took about 30 minutes. The ball on the tongue of my Scamp is welded, but the hardware included from etrailer makes it easy to bolt on as I did on my Compact. Just make sure you tighten the bolts securely. I have never had one slide, but it would if not tight.
I started using one in 2002 when I nearly lost the Compact after a truck past. No problem since.
The sway bar does not replace proper loading of your trailer. It took me a while to realize that I could not set any thing heavy at the back door of my Compact.
One thing I don't see mentioned often is loosening it when backing up. Very difficult to control if the bar is tight.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
I installed them myself. It took about 30 minutes. The ball on the tongue of my Scamp is welded, but the hardware included from etrailer makes it easy to bolt on as I did on my Compact. Just make sure you tighten the bolts securely. I have never had one slide, but it would if not tight.

I started using one in 2002 when I nearly lost the Compact after a truck past. No problem since.

The sway bar does not replace proper loading of your trailer. It took me a while to realize that I could not set any thing heavy at the back door of my Compact.

One thing I don't see mentioned often is loosening it when backing up. Very difficult to control if the bar is tight.

I’ve towed various trailers of various sizes since 1962 and have never had any sway. I’d suggest not spend the money until you’re sure you’ll need it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #18

California
I wear a safety belt and don't plan on needing it.
Under $200.00 is not a bad price for a little peace of mind.
With all of this I should mention that it is not recommended to use them in slippery condition, wet, icy or snow covered roads.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #19

Tennessee
I'll disagree with waiting until you have a problem. If nothing else, the bar will lessen trailer movement when semis pass you. You can have this push even with a properly loaded trailer and it's tiresome. Other than installation, there is no downside to having the bar. Just read the instructions and loosen it when appropriate. This will be primarily when backing up or theoretically when on slippery roads.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have had no need or desire for a sway bar in 12 years towing my properly loaded Escape 17B. Semi trucks have no effect that concerns me. I use a weight distribution hitch.
Twice I have had to take evasive action at highway speed and that did not induce sway.