Is it possible to add a hitch for boat to 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The perfect setup for me would be a small 5th wheel with a hitch on back to haul a small (under 2000lb) sailboat.

Is this possible? Does anyone make this or can it safely be modified? I know it's legal on all major highways.

I have a comercial drivers license and haul twin trailers so this is not a problem for me.

I presently have a Casita 17 with all the bells and whistles (which I love to death) but I need to haul my boat too.

My tow vehicle is a 2008 Tundra with 5.6 V8 which can tow up to 10,000 lbs. and a small 5th wheel with a boat hitch would be the best solution ever.
Harry Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I ad a custom 2" reciever added to the back of my Casita. It is not for towing and I do not have it wired. I added it for mounting a bike rack. I do not see a problem wit your plan assuming the boat is fairly light weight, you have the towing experience and are within the law. You could not come to WA with that outfit, but I do know there are a lot of states that do allow it.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different states have different laws. As long as you stay within states that allow it, you may be okay. You'll definitely need to beef up the frame. Your Scamp was not built to pull a trailer behind.

You cannot tow doubles in this configuration in Oregon.

For a discussion and some solutions and links to other information, click:
Towing Doubles. Perhaps there's newer information members would like to add to the Towing Doubles topic too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

I'm not worried about the laws in different states so much. As I said I have a CDL and every endorsement you can have as a professional driver.

What I need help on is how would you go about "strengthen the frame" or attaching a trailer hitch? Would Scamp do it for a fee? What kind of expert welder etc. would you look for?

I emailed Scamp and they just said it would void the warranty. How long is the warranty on a Scamp?

I have yet to receive a answer from Holiday despite two emails.

Does anyone else make a under 6,000 lb 5th wheel?

This is my dream setup.
My Tundra
Scamp/Holiday 5th wheel
West Wright Potter 19' sailboat that sleeps 4

I would go full time with this.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My scamp came with a 2 inch receiver on the back and it was for a bicycle rack, not for towing.
Any good welder could weld one on however Burning the camper to the ground is something else to consider during the welding process as the Factory hitch is welded on prior to the floor being installed.

You could BOLT one on.

How professional of a driver would one have to B to back the complete rig up?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I have yet to receive a answer from [b]Holiday despite two emails.

This is my dream setup.
My Tundra
Scamp/[b]Holiday 5th wheel
West Wright Potter 19' sailboat that sleeps 4
Is this the "Holiday" you are referring to?
Link to Holiday Rambler (Savoy LX) 5th Wheel Trailer
....................Hitch Weight.....1,920 Lbs
.................Axle(s) Weight.....5,200 Lbs
[b]Unloaded Vehicle Weight.....8,280 Lbs (Something doesn't add up right)
...............Overall Length....31' 10"
We are completely out of this trailer's league. It may have a fiberglass skin, but it is not a molded fiberglass monocoque body, which is what this website focuses on. Molded fiberglass trailers are much smaller, and much lighter. There's the rub; because of the lightness, it would become the weakest link in your 3-link chain. Your boat trailer would probably pull the rear hitch receiver right out from under a molded fiberglass trailer, without doubling up the frame members all the way up to the 5th wheel pin... and there goes the lightness.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #7

I may have found it...

http://www.escapetrailer.com/Products/Escape50.aspx

They offer a 2" factory installed receiver for an extra $75.00

"Hello Harry,

Thank you for your interest in the Escape Trailer.

The 2" receiver that we add to the back of the trailer can hold a maximum of 500lbs. The receiver is welded onto the back of the trailer. Several of our customers in Alberta and Texas have requested a four prong plug at the back of the trailer so that they have power when towing a small boat or exterior storage compartment.

We do not recommend carrying/towing more than 500lbs because the trailer frame was not designed to carry the excess weight.

Please feel free to forward any other questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Tammy Harmatiuk
Escape Trailer Industries Ltd
Chilliwack, British Columbia
TEL 604 703 1650/FAX 604.703.1651
info[at]escapetrailer.com"
Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Harry, a Potter is light, but it along with a trailer is NOT less than 500 lbs. Notice that Tammy didn't say "500 lbs tongue weight"... she said carrying/towing 500 lbs. That's a significant difference.

There aren't any small, light 5th wheels that I know of that were manufactured to be the center link in a doubles train. That said, I'm sure that if you find a competent welder and are willing to increase the weight of your trailer substantially, you could probably do exactly what you'd like to do.

I'd suggest, though, perhaps looking at some of the heavier 5th wheels from the start... some of the conventional construction 5th wheel trailers may, in fact, support exactly what you're looking for. The biggest issue with the "light weight" trailers is.... well... that they're light weight, made of light-weight materials. What you're proposing is a heavy-weight use.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Donna, on our trip to the NORNOG we saw Franz Bakery trucks towing three trailers. What is with that?

I found that 30 states allow what Harry is proposing:

http://www.rvtravel.com/blog/jerry/2007/10...triple-tow.html

But, there again, like several other discussions about weight on this website, the operator would be responsible to see that his rig is sturdy enough to do it. Insurance? I would like to be a fly on the wall when someone comes into an insurance agency to insure something like this...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #10

The tongue weight is 100Lbs on the 15" Potter. The 19" is 150lbs. The 15 weights in at 825lbs with trailer and the 19 is close to 2000lb with trailer. Don't worry I'm still investigating. I'll probably have to get a bigger truck and 5th wheel in the end but I will continue to explore the options.

I wonder what kind of custom design work would have to go into making it so I can haul that 325 extra pounds on the Escape 5? Can Escape, for a price, do the custom work? Is there a new market out there for this kind of thing?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna, on our trip to the NORNOG we saw Franz Bakery trucks towing three trailers. What is with that?
There's a huge difference between commercial use pulling triples and consumers (or everyday folk) pulling two trailers... in Oregon it doesn't matter if you have a CDL or not. Two non-commercial trailers cannot be towed behind. And only triple trailers are allowed on the interstates in Oregon too... not secondary roads.

Occasionally during the summer you'll see a boat on a trailer left behind at a rest stop... usually with a spouse, because the state police have pulled someone over and made them dump the extra. Other spouse is off getting another tug. Could be an expensive lesson to learn.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Donna, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is another discussion:

http://reedbrothersdodge.wordpress.com/200...er-towing-laws/

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Donna, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is another discussion:

http://reedbrothersdodge.wordpress.com/200...er-towing-laws/

I'm pretty sure that doubles are allowed on all interstate highways. I researched this about 3 years ago and will try and recreate my research but I think that the Feds mandated that certain things be consistent on all interstate highways. Things like all bridges being 15'3" high or clearly marked and if built new they have to comply. Another is the minimum...maximum weight limit of 80,000lbs and so much per axle etc.. are all mandated on interstates. Interstate commerce and all that constitutional stuff.

I'm pretty sure this applies for doubles too. I will try and find out and can use help. If not then I at least know where not to go.

This is a great discussion thank you all for your input.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that doubles are allowed on all interstate highways.

Things like all bridges being 15'3" high or clearly marked and if built new they have to comply.

Another is the <strike>minimum</strike>...maximum weight limit of 80,000lbs and so much per axle etc.. are all mandated on interstates.

[b]Interstate commerce and all that constitutional stuff.
We are comparing apples and oranges here.
Commercial Carrier regulations are completely separate and distinct from Recreational Vehicle regulations.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #15

Quote:
We are comparing apples and oranges here.
Commercial Carrier regulations are completely separate and distinct from Recreational Vehicle regulations.
You could very well be right. Maybe I'll have to start a business that demos trailers and boats or maybe just delivers them on spec. or sells them like a travelling salesman. and these are my demos.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Harry Kellogg... We have the 2" receiver on the back of our 5.0 Escape 5th. I am sure that in making the frame for a trailer Escape could add the required reinforcing. That being said the extra tongue wt.+ boat& trailer could upset the delicate balance of the 5th.wh's 3500# axle
We just returned from a 2000mi trip down to Virginia and some of the roads we found there had their ups& downs...usually in 1000' increments. What I need now is a brake reline tug& trailer... and powerful washing soda for my PANTS!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
pardon_my_behind.jpg   hooked_on_you.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #17

Very nice. Thank you for the pictures. I'm still waiting an answer from Escape. Maybe I'll have to bug them.

Thank you again for the post.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Harry Kellogg... Being a small Mfg'er. they are really busy. Reace and Tammy will not compromise on the quality of their workmanship. Avg'd 17.65 mi./ Imp. gal. on entire trip to Virginia.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
room_with_a_view.jpg   still_there.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote