is my weight distribution hitch worth the tongue weight and effort. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The OP's Ford Explorer Sport Trac is a body-on-frame vehicle, I believe, so WD should not be forbidden or discouraged by the mfr. Nothing in my 2000 Mountaineer (explorer twin) manual about it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In the case of Trillium, the tongue has been the subject of a recall on the 1300 models. So, yeah the manufacturer does not think it is advisable to use a WDH for structural reasons.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-32242.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-58535.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...00s-46068.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ame-54235.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #23

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Here is one of the best explanations I've seen about why a WDH is important when towing (it's from the Jeep forum):

"Airbags are great, but they are definitely not a replacement for a Weight-Distribution Hitch. A WDH has 2 primary purposes, as well as several additional benefits.

A WDH will raise up the back of the tow vehicle, and reduces some of the sag caused by the trailer’s tongue weight. And I think this is what the OP is referring to in his comparison to air bags. Both will raise up the rear end of the truck.

But the way a WDH raises up the rear of the truck is key – it uses torsion to shift a percentage of the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. This is the key difference between a WDH and airbags. Without shifting some of the tongue weight onto the front axle, you‘re likely to have problems in a panic stop or other emergency maneuver. When you brake hard, the weight of the trailer shifts forward and pushes down on the hitch ball even harder than normal, which causes the truck to get light on the front wheels. When that happens, you can lose steering and a big part of your braking capacity. A WDH resists the trailer’s nose-dive, and keeps more of that tongue weight transferred forward.

By using Airbags instead of a WDH, in the same panic stop as above, the trailer weight will shift forward, pushing down on the hitch ball. The hitch in turn, will push down on the rear of the truck. Since the airbags are resisting that downward force (at the axle), they become a pivot point, and the front end can get light very quickly.

In addition to the 2 primary purposes described above (shifting weight to the front axle & reducing sag), a WDH also introduces more stability when encountering cross winds, especially if you use a sway control device with the WDH. Also, most modern trucks come with hitches that are rated lower when not using a WDH, and higher when using one. Some people ignore those ratings, but that's a whole other conversation.

Hope that helps. "

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
FWIW, when we bought our EggCamper we were told at the factory do NOT use a wdh. I don't know the reason but with our tow vehicles used with the EggCamper no wdh has ever been needed and in over 50 years towing many trailers of many sizes with many different tow vehicles, I've NEVER had any sway.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
FWIW, when we bought our EggCamper we were told at the factory do NOT use a wdh. I don't know the reason but with our tow vehicles used with the EggCamper no wdh has ever been needed and in over 50 years towing many trailers of many sizes with many different tow vehicles, I've NEVER had any sway.

You, no doubt, have lived a very charmed life

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight