Is this a bearing buddy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #1

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Is this a bearing buddy?

Two years ago I blew out both bearings on the curb side of my 1997 Scamp 13. Flatbed towed to a trailer place, they fixed it and I went on my way.
Today I jacked up the trailer to inspect and, if necessary, repack the bearings and this is what I found where I expected a castle nut.
The wording says Dutton-Lainson. I found their web site, they are trailer parts suppliers, but I couldn't locate an image to match the one I attached to this posting. Wondering what I need to do to make sure the bearings are OK, and if I need to obtain a special applicator to squirt in some grease.

I plan on replacing the entire axle this year with something that has electric brakes. I don't need info on that aspect - there are hundreds of posts, I'm just mentioning it because the existing axle only has to last through the summer.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
P1000219.jpg  
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
That looks like a dust cover of some sort. If so it just pops off revealing the spindle nut. just like an ordinary dust cover or a Bearing Buddy.
It appears to have a little bleeder button for use much like the pressure plate on a Bearing Buddy.
It clearly is not a Bearing Buddy.
That looks like an ordinary zerk, but go easy on the grease gun and probably press on that button ( maybe to release extra pressure.
I have never seen one like it so this response is largely speculation.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
I plan on replacing the entire axle this year with something that has electric brakes.
Dutton Lainson sells these as "Grease Keeper caps" in several sizes. The description for one says:
1 inch Grease Keeper dust caps with grease zirk and pressure relief valve. Protects wheel bearings from water and dirt with a positive hub seal. Supplies a reserve of lubrication and has built-in positive relief. Longer time between periodic repacking of bearings. Protects and extends bearing life. Zirk permits frequent greasing and relief valve eliminates excess pressure on grease seal. No complicated moving parts or gaskets that require costly maintenance and replacements. Easily installed in seconds, no need to remove hubs. A positive hub seal minimizes water entry when wheels are submerged. Zinc plated finish. Includes two protectors, each with a vinyl cover. Also fits 1-1/16 inch spindles.
https://www.dutton-lainson.com/prodd...php?prod=21842

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutton Lainson Grease Keeper Cap lg21842.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	128942

Since it sounds as though you have no brakes at present, you won't run the potential risk of having excess grease contaminate your brake shoes.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I suggest you either repack the bearings or have them repacked. Part of the repacking process is bearing inspection. Just pumping grease into the bearings with inspection I believe is still looking for trouble. I have EZLub spindles and hubs but have never in almost 14 years have never put a grease gun to zirk fitting and probably never will. At 13 years the bearings needed replacing, the cost was pretty low and done by a Dexter axle shop. Actually a utility trailer shop that specialized in Dexter axles.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #5

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Thanks everyone

I'll pry it off and repack.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
~ "This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects." ~

Mike, I have a good friend with a very comfie couch in your area that I really think you should visit. Would you like me to send his address ? LOL

Mike in NS

panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote