Jeep Grand Cherokee reliability? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
Jeep Grand Cherokee reliability?

My wife and I are considering a 2016-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ tow package as an "new" TV for our 13'Scamp Deluxe, replacing our 2009 Subaru Forester. An alternate consideration is a 2017 Toyota Highlander XLE with an OEM hitch.

We tend to keep our cars for 8-10 years, so I'm concerned about the poor reliability ratings of the JGC, which, from what I've read, seems to be due primarily to more problems in the out years. However, I like that the tow package includes a 7-pin connector and pre-wiring for a brake controller. With the Highlander, I'd have to add a 7-pin connector and splice it into the TVs brake wiring (which I did myself for my Forester, so I'm not afraid to do that, but its just added work).

I'd be interested in hearing from any forum members about out-year reliability on later-model JGCs.
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmitc210 View Post
My wife and I are considering a 2016-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ tow package as an "new" TV for our 13'Scamp Deluxe, replacing our 2009 Subaru Forester. An alternate consideration is a 2017 Toyota Highlander XLE with an OEM hitch.

We tend to keep our cars for 8-10 years, so I'm concerned about the poor reliability ratings of the JGC, which, from what I've read, seems to be due primarily to more problems in the out years. However, I like that the tow package includes a 7-pin connector and pre-wiring for a brake controller. With the Highlander, I'd have to add a 7-pin connector and splice it into the TVs brake wiring (which I did myself for my Forester, so I'm not afraid to do that, but its just added work).

I'd be interested in hearing from any forum members about out-year reliability on later-model JGCs.
Look at ALL the tow vehicles. I would run away from the Jeeps. I have owned one. They are money pits. On the Jeep forums seems to be something they brag about. If Highlander doesn't have 7 pin connector don't get it. Good luck.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
We bought used a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the OEM tow package (Yes, the controller harness was in the glove box & easy to install.) to tow our Parkline 15. We have put over 30K miles on it that are mostly towing miles. Not one problem with the Jeep to date but there was one factory recall for reprogramming the cruise control. We get 16-18 mpg towing.
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
You might get a very reliable GC, and then again you might not. It's a bit like Clint Eastwood's line in Dirty Harry: Do ya feel lucky?

Toyotas, I have no hesitation.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Check Consumer Reports ratings. If you want reliable, then a Toyota or Honda product is best. Jeep is at/near the worst.

There always be someone who gets lucky. I had a friend put over 250,000 miles on a Chevy Chevette. But Consumer Reports result reflect thousands of people experiences.

A common competitor to the Grand Cherokee is the Toyota 4 Runner. Another is the Lexus GX460 (or earlier the GX470). Night and day quality difference between Toyota/Lexus and Jeep.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
A friend has a recent Cherokee and has put some miles on it towing and is quite happy. A dealer told him that they believe the reputed reliability problems are magnified by the fact that many jeeps are often used in difficult situations. If there is any truth to that a Lexus may not be a fair comparison, though it seems like a 4runner might be. It would be interesting to know specifically how Cherokees hold up when they are used for ordinary towing, but not for rugged off-road activities.
dmtoddma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we got the extended warranty with, just in case, and we have yet to have any serious problem with the Jeep. We have 70,000 miles in it, and about 1/3 of that is towing a 19 foot Escape. We had one problem with it when it was delivered and the dealer corrected that. Since then, we have had only fluid maintenance and tires. I know it has a bad reputation in some quarters, but it you look at the recent Consumer Reports, the problem is the infotainment system, and ours occasionally needs reset but that is it. Just wait a while and it sorts itself out. We get about 16-17 MPG towing. I plugged the brake controller into the port under the dash, and all worked fine. We run our refrigerator on battery and between the solar panel on the trailer and the battery feedline from the Jeep, we arrive with the batteries charged and the refrigerator cool. We would buy another one.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
My son has half the miles on his Cherokee that I have on my Toyota and has had orders of magnitude more issues than I have (transmisssion, rear differential, radiator, corrosion, gas tank, etc). I have taken a personal oath to stay clear of any Jeep products.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
JGC

Jeeps rule, others drool!!!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have had jeeps for thirty years and our present 2016 JGC pulls our 2000 Casita 17 without effort across the divide here in Colorado. Other than replacing tires and routine maintenance, I've never had serious problems with the JGC. The paint jobs are top quality and the off road ability is great in the mud and snow.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

My double first cousin almost a brother to me is a Grand Cherokee Jeep lover. He's owned some for years and loved them but now he is not so happy about them. He has looked for at least 2 years for one that is acceptable and can't find one. He said they are junk now. I'd run away from the JGC. If you owned a Forester you'd most likely hate the Jeep in short time. One of our friends has one and it has been in the shop with brake problems so many times that they can't count it any more. The dealer can't even figure out the mess and problems. They can be driving and lose their brakes for no reason. Brake shoes and calipers are wearing out fast also. This is a JGC that was bought brand new about 2-3 years ago. It's probably been in the shop the equivalent of a year. So I'd stay with a Forester or Highlander that has the 7 pin connector since newer vehicles are very finicky with electronics but you'd have a good vehicle. My husband's cousin had a Forester, totaled it and they weren't hurt except for bumps and bruises. Hitting a larger truck at 60MPH in the rear in a snow storm. They never had problems with it. They bought another one and never had problems with it either. They had to give up driving is why they sold it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
South Carolina
We recently bought a used 2015 Grand Cherokee tow pkg etc with low mileage etc. We have had several long trip and no problems. Very comfortable car. We get 22 to 23 around town and 17 pulling our 17 ft Casita. Did great on curvy steep roads. over all we are very pleased. We had a friend who advised against a Jeep but owners we talked to loved theirs. I think the problems were with older models.
Dennis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We don't have Jeep GC, but we do have a 2017 Dodge Durango, which is similar in many ways and basically a stretch version of the Jeep GC.

We have the V6 and 8 speed, and the combination is very smooth. Plenty of power, it pulls better than our Dodge Dakota V8. Gets a lot better fuel mileage than our Dakota too; about 17-18 towing our 3,000 lb 16' Scamp. We've pulled our Scamp across both the Western and Eastern mountain ranges and it did well. The Durango V-6 can be optioned to tow 6,200 lbs. The V8 even more.

If you like your Subaru, have you considered either the Subaru Ascent (can be optioned to tow 5,000 lbs) or the 2020 Subaru Outback (can be optioned to tow 3,500 lbs)? Many people are now using a wireless brake controller with success.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
A world of options

If you plan to tow a 13 foot Scamp you have many options. A vehicle that with a 5,000 tow rating will do. In you position I would suggesting look at actual tests and longevity on a TV brand. While there are a number of people that will tell you what their preferences are, the actual results as provided in Consumers Report based on service is pretty telling. I purchased mind TV based on several vehicle research then I looked into the top vehicles listed resale value. The higher resale does seem to have a direct correlation to quality. Another consideration is whether to get a SUV or pick up. With a pickup you can typically get more storage and larger equipment in the back. I decided on a pick up with a 6 foot bed and put a canopy to protect and secure the load. In the winter I don't mind putting wet items back there where with my SUV it just isn't pleasant putting in large or wet items.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #15

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Where do you get your reliability ratings from? If it is Consumer Reports I wouldn't put any stock in them. Now I have an online subscription to CR which I think is great if your buying a washing machine or toaster or something like that as they actually test that kind of stuff. For cars they just send out surveys online every year and base their ratings on that. Years ago I bought a new Chevy Astro van that I drove for 20 years but according to Consumer Reports it was just a piece of junk while they said that the Chrysler family of mini vans were the best. As it turned out the Astro vans were very dependable and the Chrysler mini vans were not. I talked to a number of people that worked for company's that had fleets of the Chrysler mini vans and asked how they held up. They said they were prone to transmission failure so the company's would replace them with the Chevy Astro vans as they phased out the Chrysler mini vans. Since then Consumer reports is the last source I would use to rate automobiles. A very good source of knowledge is this show that is on the radio every week. Oh and by the way they share my sentiment about Consumer Reports as a source for auto reliability ratings.https://www.carprousa.com/carprousa-radio-show.php
Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Georgia
This is an age old battle...Jeep has done a much better job of promoting their brand image, but there's no comparison when you look at build quality--I have no direct experience with the Highlander, but I've owned two Land Cruisers and drive an FJ Cruiser now, and I wouldn't tow with a J**P if you gave it to me for free.

My next tow will probably be a pickup, just because of the overall utility of that platform. Probably an F150, although I'll be cringing when I sign the contract.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jeep Grand Cherokee reliability?

Considering our most recent three vehicles, with over half a million combined miles, I’d say Consumer Reports has been pretty much spot-on in performance and reliability, both the good and the bad. I find the reliability ratings broken down by subsystem most helpful, especially when viewed over time.

That said, there are considerations that CR does not evaluate, like towing performance and readiness, off-road capability... it should be taken as one source of information among many.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #18

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland; it is the most reliable vehicle that I have had.

I have had no significant maintenance issues with it.

I tow a Bigfoot 25B175CB with it; and have been coast to coast, twice now; no issues.

Reasonable on gas mileage.

I do have the automatic air suspension, and it has been excellent for towing.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: Aliner LXE
TX
I found the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
My husband's cousin had a Forester, totaled it and they weren't hurt except for bumps and bruises. Hitting a larger truck at 60MPH in the rear in a snow storm. They never had problems with it. They bought another one and never had problems with it either. They had to give up driving is why they sold it.
....60MPH in a snow storm....Spock, I think we have found the problem..... LOL
dwightparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #20

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 2019 21. Tow Vehicle 2019 4Runner
Pennsylvania
Quote:

I agree with senior member Jack. The Jeep Cherokees are money pits. My childhood friend owns an auto parts store. He's reports that he sells more replacement parts for Cherokees than any other comparable vehicle. I spent at least 6 months studying up on tow vehicles while waiting for my Escape 21 to be built. I finally chose a 4Runner. I'm very happy with this tow. It already has a 4/7 pin connector housed underneath the rear bumper. I did install an auxiliary transmission cooler and a Scan Gauge to keep tabs on the transmission temperature. I got @12 per gallon on the way back from British Columbia where the Escapes Trailer facility is located. I'm not complaining.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote