Leveling a Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Leveling a Casita

I am new to FG trailer world. I have been reading the forums here for a month or so just to learn from those with experience on different subject matters.

I bought a 2000 Casita recently. The leveling indicators on the unit are very difficult to see and I'm not sure if there is any fluid to even produce a bubble.

My question: Can I use a level on the aluminum belly-band to level the Casita? If not, how can I determine level?

Thanks for the help.
Steven K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
The belly band is convenient but I would check how it compares with a level laid on the floor. It's the same on my Casita but best not to assume.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Leveling the RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven K. View Post
My question: Can I use a level on the aluminum belly-band to level the Casita? If not, how can I determine level?Thanks for the help.
The Refrigerator is the only thing that really matters.If you are comfortable moving around in the RV it should be OK. On my Scamp, I leveled the unit until the refrigerator was level and then mounted new levels on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
31 level b.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 04:44 AM   #4

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Two items require the trailer to be 'level': the occupants and the fridge.
Absorption type fridges work when travelling around corners and up hills so even these aren't all that finicky about 'level'. More close to level is better as it allows the condensed ammonia to return to the low heat source more efficiently. Compressor type fridges are nearly immune to any reasonable deviation from 'level'.
If YOU don't sense that you're a bat hanging from your feet when you lay down, or an egg frying in a pan is circular, not "D" shaped, then close enough.
On a Casita, the belly band is also 'close enough'.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
We have a aluminum level hanging right inside the door.....when setting up....I place the level under the front light on the belly band....if not level.....I use an Andersen Camper Leveler under one wheel to level the trailer.....I then block wheels and unhook......I then move the level to the side and place it on the belly band......I level the trailer from front to back using the trailer jack. This method has wroked well for many years. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:28 AM   #6

Arkansas
Appreciate everyones input. I'll level side to side then front to back using the belly band as a starting point then verify the refrigerator. Believe once I verify that everything is level, I can use a regular aluminum level on the belly band going forward without concern.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #7

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Fry an egg, in a skillet, on your stove. If the egg stays in the middle of the skillet, you're good, and can also have a fried egg.....
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:18 AM   #8

Name: CalCop
California
Check the Casita store on their website to order replacement levels. Easy and cheap fix
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.com/
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
Fry an egg, in a skillet, on your stove. If the egg stays in the middle of the skillet, you're good, and can also have a fried egg.....

That will work.....another option......we use to have a dog who was a drooler.....we use to have him sit on the floor in the middle of the Casita when leveling......when the drool was coming out of both side of his mouth evenly.....we knew we were level.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:40 PM   #10

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
That will work.....another option......we use to have a dog who was a drooler.....we use to have him sit on the floor in the middle of the Casita when leveling......when the drool was coming out of both side of his mouth evenly.....we knew we were level.
Well. That beats the egg...
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:54 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I put a glass of wine on my fridge. As leveling proceeded, the wine became more level but volume decreased. Goal was to get level before wine was gone. Sometimes it worked out.............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #12

Arkansas
Quote:
You get the award for the best reply. Love it.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I put a glass of wine on my fridge. As leveling proceeded, the wine became more level but volume decreased. Goal was to get level before wine was gone. Sometimes it worked out.............
After a few glasses of wine, everything will seem unlevel for me. Will definitely tell my wife this leveling tip. ��
Old 09-24-2023, 07:24 AM   #14

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
I've been thinking these alternate level measurement techniques might have a common drawback: Eggs (and many wines) benefit from refrigeration, and it's the refrigeration that won't be effective if a moderate amount of level isn't already present. A 'Catch 22' situation.
Additionally the set-up is nearly complete, or at minimum well underway, before the fry pan or cork-screw become accessible.
A dog-slobbered tennis ball set on the camper floor just inside the door would be effective... round enough to roll towards a lower direction, and fuzzy enough so as to not be excessively sensitive to insignificant deviation from 'level'.
Once again: Don't be overly concerned. If you don't (pre-wine) sense the camper isn't level, then the fridge will work acceptably well.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven K. View Post
I am new to FG trailer world. I have been reading the forums here for a month or so just to learn from those with experience on different subject matters.

I bought a 2000 Casita recently. The leveling indicators on the unit are very difficult to see and I'm not sure if there is any fluid to even produce a bubble.

My question: Can I use a level on the aluminum belly-band to level the Casita? If not, how can I determine level?

Thanks for the help.

I hated the levels on my scamp. They were hard to see and didn't have much indicating except that it was level or not and which way. I went to walmart and bought these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Cam...1?from=/search

I then spent some time at home getting the floor VERY level. Then I removed the old ones and put these in. They came with adhesive and I did not want to trust it. also they do have screw holes. I cleaned the area very well with alcohol and the used the adhesive to get them mounted with the bubbles on center. (Remember the camper was now level) Then I counter drilled for brass screws that I used to make this permanent.

Have been much happier with the result.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #16

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
Quote:
We used to use that technique with our banjo player to see if the performance stage was level!
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:18 PM   #17

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
With our 2016 Scamp 13', we simply used a 6" "torpedo" level on the floor of the trailer. First we leveled side to side, then front to back. That always worked well enough for us. For our 2023 Escape 19', we use the factory bubble levels on the exterior shell, one at the back and one just above the belly band near the door. Again, works well enough. As long as our heads are not below our feet while in the bed!
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmitc210 View Post
We used to use that technique with our banjo player to see if the performance stage was level!
Love it!

Tags
casita