Leveling and stabilizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Right now we don't have anything for leveling or stabilizing our 13' Boler. It would be nice to do both. Recommendations, links, etc. would be appreciated.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Leveling from side to side is done with blocks (or boards) under the tire on the low side. Back to front is with the tongue jack. Once it is level, then the jacks underneath are used to stablize it in it's already level position.

Here's a recent discussion on Stabilizing Jacks.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Some people use a gizmo called a BAL tire leveler instead of the blocks. Other's have tired it and didn't like it. I have no experience with it.

BAL leveler
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010_01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	3547
I use simple 2x6 boards to which I've added some pieses so that they lock when stacked.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Some people use a gizmo called a BAL tire leveler instead of the blocks. Other's have tired it and didn't like it. I have no experience with it.

BAL leveler
Wouldn't be without the BAL leveler. I've decided to use it even when parked on level ground as a chock. Once pressure is applied to the wheel, the wheel isn't goining anyplace, dual duty.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Recommendations, links, etc. would be appreciated.
This is what I use for [b]leveling:
"Lego" Leveling Blocks
"Hoppy" Calibrated Level Set
This is what I use for [b]stabilizing:
"Stacking Jacks"
Old 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I use linx levelors and the stacking jacks. A bottle jack to raise slightly if needed.

I had to take my stacking jacks to a welder and have them cut down. The smallest ones are too high for my stock axle/frame height most times. He didn't even charge me.. cut cut, burn burn.. done in a minute.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Thanks everyone for the great information! Some very good options for both leveling and stabilizing. I'd never seen the lego blocks or the bal leveler before, so fun to hear about these things also.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great information! Some very good options for both leveling and stabilizing. I'd never seen the lego blocks or the bal leveler before, so fun to hear about these things also.
The "lego" leveling blocks come in very handy for lots of things. The metal feet of the "landing gear" stabilizers sometimes need a larger surface, as does the tongue jack. I ran into a case where the spot sloped is such a manner that I didn't have enough tongue jack range to get it level. I put Lego blocks under one wheel, BAL leveler under the other. Had to put lego blocks under the rear stablizers. All this raised the trailer enough to allow the tongue jack to do it's job.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #10

Registry
Talking

Quote:
The "lego" leveling blocks come in very handy for lots of things.

I ran into a case where the spot sloped is such a manner that I didn't have enough tongue jack range to get it level...
That reminded me of our set-up at Cambria. Check out the "Lego" blocks under the stabilizer jacks. We also used some under the tongue jack wheel. We have 2 sets of ten; it took all 20 blocks to get level.
Attached Thumbnails
Cambria_Rally_020.jpg  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #11

Registry
I used almost all of mine at Cambria too.

The "Lego" blocks are actually called

Linx Levelers

and are available in almost any RV store. I got mine at Wally World. Don't recall the price.. mid $20 range.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
After cracking the sides off several of the yellow type, we purchased the bright orange Lynx Levelers. We'll see how they work this weekend. http://www.lynxlevelers.com/
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I wanted something to prevent backing right over the stack of interlocking levelling blocks, and found the Lynx Stop 'N Chock™, which interlocks right onto the Lynx blocks, with a one-block step built into the base. Since only one side needs to be raised for leveling, I only got one of these chocks. I think it works well.

Around here, that 10-block Lynx set is at least CDN$60, and the matching chock is about CDN$20.

A local RV dealership's parts guy told me that Lynx also have a thin top cap block in prototype ("available soon"), to provide a better surface for the tire to rest on.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #14

Registry
I'll have to get one of those chocks. I back onto my levelers and have to guess at the center. The chock would sort of make it REAL hard to overshoot, eh?

Its also a snowballs chance in Arizona in August that the trailer will roll off the levelers once set up, but it would give me the warm fuzzies to have one in front AND the back.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM   #15

Registry
Thumbs up

--><div class='quotemain'>
After cracking the sides off several of the yellow type, we purchased the bright orange Lynx Levelers. We'll see how they work this weekend. http://www.lynxlevelers.com/
[/quote]
I had only seen the "Lynx" name on the orange type, before.
I thought that the yellow ones were a different brand.
I got the yellow ones because we have had to level-up on soft wet ground, that would ooze through and bury the orange ones.
I wonder if you can mix them together?
I'd like to add the "Stop-N-Chock" to my system.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #16

I didn't think of the dirt oozing through, Fred. We'll soon find out. I wonder if the yellow Lynx are stronger than what we have. I'm not sure what brand of yellows we have, but they broke on the sides. I think that the tops are squares, not the shape of the ones on the link even though we did purchase at Camping World. Maybe we have an older style. Hmmmm....several people don't like the orange in the reviews, but I didn't like the yellows....so, we'll see! I can probably use the flat plastic squares that we use under the stabilizers under the blocks to keep dirt from oozing. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...733&tab=reviews
Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I got the yellow ones because we have had to level-up on soft wet ground, that would ooze through and bury the orange ones.
I wonder if you can mix them together?
I'd like to add the "Stop-N-Chock" to my system.
My Stop-N-Chock is definitely shaped to fit the "bumps" on the Lynx system. Since the yellow blocks have a different bump shape, I'm sure they won't interlock. If the height per layer is the same, the Lynx chock might still sit well on a step of the yellow blocks, but without interlocking I don't know if it would stay in place properly.

I had not considered the difference between designs in the tendency to allow soft ground to "ooze" through; perhaps thin plywood underneath the Lynx blocks would be sufficient?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #18

Registry
I have the orange ones and have not experienced oozing.

At least, not from my blocks!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I have the orange ones and have not experienced oozing.

At least, not from my blocks!

thanks for the laugh gina.

how about this related problem----my casita is sitting in, not on, my driveway. just had the driveway resurfaced with asphalt last fall. parked the casita with a neighbor's help backing it in, and knew i had to put the plywood under the wheel in front but was busy with the neighbors looking it over and all and neglected to put the plywood in place.

today i see that the wheel has sunk into the asphalt to the point where the wheel axle is only an inch or so above the asphalt level. it is going to be a problem to get it out.

these lynx levelers look great, can they be stored for others in the tutorial section?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #20

We used the orange Lynx levelers for the past two nights and they worked well other than needing more than 10. We were at a very unlevel campsite and ended up digging a hole on the opposite wheel. No oozing!

Chris