Lifting tires off ground when storing for extended period? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Since the standard rims have zero offset , could you not rotate the tires from side to side if you flipped the rims so the paint stripe is to the inside ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Years ago the advice was to keep the rotation the same on radial tires, but now the advice is for non-directional tires to rotate on cars just like we used to do on the old Bias ply, putting the full sized spare into the rotation and cross rotating.
I can't speak for the Chinese maypop tires, however.
With the age of the tires being more important the wear for most of us I don't see ap problem either way.

I very carefully leave my camper parked with the exhaust fans pointed up, dirty side down.
I know about the care of bearings and how important, but I wonder how cars go 300,00 miles like my last one with no wheel bearing service whatever?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
British Columbia
[QUOTE=widgetwizard;626744]I think you already know the answer to that if you are honest. THAT is the main reason for the curb-side tire failures that we see.
QUOTE]

Most likely just the camber of the road surface!
David and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If tires are oriented to turn in one direction it will be marked on the sidewall.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I didn't have the means to lift my trailer this winter, so I just kept the snow off of it and cleared around it, and about mid-way through winter, I just pulled it forward about a foot to avoid flat spots. Once I get my RV lifestyle completely dialed in, I'll definitely lift the trailer and give the tires a spin now and then.

At least with my truck tires, I always have them installed with the "black wall" out, instead of the white wall. So if direction matters, I've been driving backwards on all four of my tires for decades. Since the tire place never mentioned it, and I think they actually asked me once which way I wanted them, it must not matter on modern tires.

With rims, however...I feel like they're only meant to face one way. Could be wrong, since most vehicle tires do have some offset, but I'd be hesitant to mount a rim backwards without asking the manufacturer, even if it does have zero offset.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
I take half the weight off my tires and rotate them every couple of days. I call it camping
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #27

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Ours is stored exactly the same way. We go over every couple of weeks to check on it, spin the tires, dream about camping season I think we are breaking her out in April this year, though! May seems too far off!
Casita manuals say do not lift under the axle. Period. It will bend since it is a tubular type.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Casita manuals say do not lift under the axle. Period. It will bend since it is a tubular type.
Steve said, "The trailer is supported with wooden blocks positioned under the frame on both sides of the axle" (emphasis added).

Emily responded, citing Steve's post, "Ours is stored exactly the same way."

I think we're on the same page. Lift and support on the frame, not the axle tube.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Opinions are varied. Older bias ply tires could develop a flat spot, but a radial tire won't, especially if the pressure is kept up. I have never blocked up a trailer with radial tires while stored over the winter, and have never had any detrimental effects from it.

I know hordes of people with travel trailers that park them over winter, and know of no one who blocks their trailers up.

But, there is no harm in blocking up a trailer either.

The temporary trailer I bought last year had 21 year old Goodyear radials. It was parked and used like a cabin, and never had the weight taken off the tires. There were vinyl tire covers on the wheels, which were in pretty rough shape. When I pulled it out of where it was parked, I had a good look at the tires as my wife pulled slowly ahead, looking for flat spots, bulges or anything not right. Everything looked great. I then towed it just over an hour straight to the tire shop, where they double checked the date stamp, as they could not believe how old they were, as they looked to be in great condition.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #30

NW Wisconsin
I admit to being ANAL . I actually read and follow the instructions that are in my trailer's owner's manual along with the instructions given to me during my trailer's orientation session.
I have a process for getting my trailer ready for its' long winter storage which works for and is satisfactory to me.
Since I am the one that does the work , I feel no compunction to furnish an explanation.
As always , others are free to do what they see fit or proper

** NO I do not lift my trailer by placing a jack under the axle "
Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #31

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Steve said, "The trailer is supported with wooden blocks positioned under the frame on both sides of the axle" (emphasis added).

Emily responded, citing Steve's post, "Ours is stored exactly the same way."

I think we're on the same page. Lift and support on the frame, not the axle tube.
Thanks, Jon Yep. Lifted on the FRAME, on either side of the axle!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #32

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I wrap our trailer in a Calmark cover, store it under our 21' (9' high) carport, and remove the wheels and tires after our last fall trip until spring pops and we get ready to go.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't really care what y'all do. Your effort and decision doesn't affect me or my trailer. Put all the effort you want into how you treat your trailer, or none. Because it really doesn't matter... to me. I think it's important everyone remember this and there are no right or wrong answers. Isn't choice grand!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #34

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thanks Jim for the information . I was using a rule of thumb formula I got from an engineer buddy which did not have temperature compensation built into the formula.
I am using synthetic grease so I'll need to get the friction coefficient from the manufacturer
Does orientation of the axle relative to magnetic north and south have any affect ? My trailer is parked with the tongue pointing to "True North"

**My Mom was right , I should have finished engineering school **
Except, Steve, you must compensate for Coriolis force/effect. Because you are at about 44 degrees N , you should rotate the trailer precisely 44 degrees counterclockwise (0r anti clockwise as the Brits say). Your pants also unzip easier by the same maneuver but let's not go into that.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #35

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't really care what y'all do. Your effort and decision doesn't affect me or my trailer. Put all the effort you want into how you treat your trailer, or none. Because it really doesn't matter... to me. I think it's important everyone remember this and there are no right or wrong answers. Isn't choice grand!
But Donna, remember the "Butterfly effect". We need to know what you do and when you do it to your trailer so we can make minute adjustments to our trailers to keep the planet in balance.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
Except, Steve, you must compensate for Coriolis force/effect. Because you are at about 44 degrees N , you should rotate the trailer precisely 44 degrees counterclockwise (0r anti clockwise as the Brits say). Your pants also unzip easier by the same maneuver but let's not go into that.
This is a common misconception since you must take into account the orientation of the bearing races and not the axle.You need to rotate the trailer 90 degrees to align the centerline of the axle and not the trailer.
The tarus effect of the races concentric with the axle take precedence in this case and the axle itself must be aligned with magnetic North.
In this case the magnetic lines of force are being cut by the rolling bearing units and induce a counter emf coupled with the field of the axle resulting in the Helmholtz reaction along the E field and not the H field as assumed if the axle is even slightly out of alignment.
This, of course, will indicate that the force in the plane of rotation is coupled with the induced field of the lubricant caused by mixing of the grease especially evident if the bearings are over greased specially with non synthetic lubricants below 20*C.
to simplify the problem the base effect is to stir the bovine excrement to the point where it will not stick adequately unless spread thickly.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #37
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
This is a common misconception since you must take into account the orientation of the bearing races and not the axle.You need to rotate the trailer 90 degrees to align the centerline of the axle and not the trailer.
The tarus effect of the races concentric with the axle take precedence in this case and the axle itself must be aligned with magnetic North.
In this case the magnetic lines of force are being cut by the rolling bearing units and induce a counter emf coupled with the field of the axle resulting in the Helmholtz reaction along the E field and not the H field as assumed if the axle is even slightly out of alignment.
This, of course, will indicate that the force in the plane of rotation is coupled with the induced field of the lubricant caused by mixing of the grease especially evident if the bearings are over greased specially with non synthetic lubricants below 20*C.
to simplify the problem the base effect is to stir the bovine excrement to the point where it will not stick adequately unless spread thickly.
THAT SONG FINALLY MAKES SENSE!!
" The wheels on the bus go round and round...."

Thank you oh thank you
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #38

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Electric motor bearings encounter the same problem when controlled by a VFD and the motor is run at higher frequencies.
The use of conductive purple grease help stop the bearings from electrical pitting and arcing .
There is also a problem when driving East to West on ungrounded asphalt highways at a speed approaching resonant frequency with steel belted radial tires .The tires cut the North / South lines of magnetic flux and they generate an EMF ( CEMF if going West to East ) which also damages the bearings and axle spindles.
Many modern tires have Kevlar belts which allows a tire to rotate in all direction with no ill affect
Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #39

Florida
In the motors with VFDs we now install insulated rear bearings and often grounding brushes for the shafts.
No, really.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #40

Name: J
Isle of Wight
I have never understood why you guys worry about pitting in bearing races.
Golf balls work so much better with dimples...
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires