Lil Bigfoot Axle and adding brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2023, 04:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 79 Boler
Registry
Smile Lil Bigfoot Axle and adding brakes

Hi all, I can't seem to find my answer by searching so I could use some help.

I have a 1992 Lil Bigfoot (13' about 1400 lbs) with no brakes. There are backing plates present to attach brakes. I want to add brakes as my new Subaru requires brakes to tow upto 2500 lbs.

The trailer shop wants to know what size axle it has and is there a lable on the axle I can read. It's 40 years old and has about 20 layers of rust proof coating so...there is no lable.

This may be an easy answer for some of you.
What size axle would it have and what size brakes?

Thanks
paulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The backing plates will determine the brakes that you can put on the axle. This is why they’re asking. Pull one of the wheels off and measure the center to center spacing of the bolt holes. That will tell your trailer shop what they want to know.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:36 PM   #3

Name: Nick
Trailer: Lil bigfoot
British Columbia
There’s quite a few threads about the challenges of these axles. But I haven’t read about anyone adding brakes to the original axles.
My 87 lil bigfoot also had backing plates but no brakes. Given the age of the trailer and life expectancy of the axle it’s probably a good idea to think about a new axle with brakes. I just replaced my axle over the past few months. I didn’t really realize how worn out it was until I pulled the trailer on the new axle. Much smoother, the trailer doesn’t bounce around nearly as much on rough roads. The old one was very stiff and had sagged to the point of the tires rubbing the wheel wells. Probably not the news you want but worth considering if the axle is original.
Nick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot, brakes