lil bigfoot axle....help please. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2024, 07:47 AM   #21

Name: Nick
Trailer: Lil bigfoot
British Columbia
Itís good to prioritize the leaking door. Mine was leaking at the belly band. Itís tough to seal well where the two haves of the shell meet and I found that the belly band on mine was kind of funneling water right to that spot.

If your shop can modify the frame, they should be capable of removing it. Just give them a heads up that there are screws or bolts under the raised floor section under the front bench. The rest of the bolts are obvious, those ones are sneaky devils. I didnít plan on removing mine but once I got started it seemed like it would make things much easier and avoid excessive heat from the welds possibly damaging the shell. It allowed me to clean and paint the frame as well. Thereís a good chance that the bolts holding the shell to the frame are due for replacement too.

I went with the flexiride at 22.5 down and 2000lbs and have been happy. Iím not 100% sure I ended up with 22.5* since the shops form was generic and I think all the angles were relative to dexter specs, close enough for me. I donít know how critical it is to stay within the recommended angles, I would guess that the suspension would act stiffer the further you move out of that range. Worth a call to the manufacturer. I believe the flexiride 2000lbs was only available with a 7Ē brake and that the next bigger axle could get 10Ē brakes but I was worried it would be too stiff. It looks like it would be quite easy to adjust the arms to a different angle.

You seem to have done your research and have a good grasp on this. You could always swing by the shop with the trailer and ask them what they would do to replace the axle and see what they come up with. If they donít pickup on the non parallel frame rails and frame modifications and seem to be blowing smoke, you may want to try another shop.

With the research youíve done, you could also try a welding shop. A good welding shop should be able to complete the job too with a bit of coaching and collaboration.
Nick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Lil Bigfoot
Registry
When I get the leak under control, I will take it to have it looked at. Maybe later this summer. I dont plan to camp in it until next summer so lots to keep me busy until then.
Could you post a pic of your trailer at its new height?
Also, how did you fix the leak at the belly band? Was it leaking or just guiding the water to the door which leaked. I realized today the weatherstriping on the door is terribly broken down. Trying to source something on Amazon.
pj
paulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:08 PM   #23

British Columbia
I canít find a good picture and canít get a good angle where itís parked. Iíll take one if we head out camping this weekend.

The belly band was just channeling and holding water against the door frame. The upper shell doesnít overlap the lower shell behind the door frame so itís a weak point for water to get in. You could pull the frame and redo the butyl tape but caulking the edge of the frame taking care to get a good seal in the area behind the belly band would likely do the trick. I prefer lexel and am not a huge fan of silicone. Just make sure if silicone was used previously that you clean the residue off completely or you wonít get a good bond.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:04 PM   #24

British Columbia
Here is a picture of how my trailer sits with the new axle. Itís got nearly full weight on the axel, the stabilizers arenít adding any additional height.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7091.jpg  

Tags
axle, bigfoot