Long hitchball connector (stinger?) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
EXTENSION

The tongue weight at the ball cannot change, if the tongue weight was 350 lbs before the extension it is still 350 lbs after the extension. The less pieces the better but slop and towing with vehicles not up to the job are the real problems. Torklift makes extensions up to 48" long for camper over hangs.
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyag View Post
The tongue weight at the ball cannot change, if the tongue weight was 350 lbs before the extension it is still 350 lbs after the extension. The less pieces the better but slop and towing with vehicles not up to the job are the real problems. Torklift makes extensions up to 48" long for camper over hangs.
True, but because moving the ball further from the back of the vehicle applies more force on the hitch and rear suspension due to the lever effect, many hitch extenders include a statement in the fine print reducing the hitch weight capacity by 50% when an extender is used. See the following excerpt from a Curt 18" hitch extender taken from eTrailer (click to enlarge).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Extender.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	147275
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...der-90896.html
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:46 AM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
I added a JACK-E-UP so I can easily remove my jack. No more bent Jack! Stores easily in my truck bed. Go to Jack-e-up.com
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:17 AM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Check out Jack-E-Up after hitching up you can remove the whole jack and when you get to where you are going you put it back on its nice you don't have jack hanging down because I had same problem I carry wife's wheelchair in back of truck if she needs it when on the road couldn't get it out with electric jack on now I can. You can find it on Amazon .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #26

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'd like to use a longer hitchball connector so my tongue jack won't interfere with my tailgate.
What are the issues, pro and con with this approach?

Walt
Hi Walt,
Been using a 2" longer stinger on Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 short bed pulling 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with no problems. Tail gate just misses jack by 1" when down.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Check out Jack-E-Up you can remove the whole jack you can find it on Amazon .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:34 AM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 17B
Ontario
I also tow an Escape 17B and wanted to open my tailgate. I tow with a full sized pickup truck so the tongue weight of the trailer is half of the max for my vehicle. I was quite comfortable extending the ball back a couple of inches. Plus the truck has the factory towing package so wider rear leaf springs etc.
I’ve towed from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, mountains, prairie, high winds, rain never had a problem, never any sway. Extremely stable passing trucks or being passed.
Moving the ball further from the rear axle does increase the length of the lever so will increase the apparent tongue weight the tow vehicle sees, the trailer tongue weight does not change.
I do not use a weight distribution hitch, if I did that would move ball back about the same distance.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
BD2395E7-C10D-4D7D-BB8D-90166B3FCD52.jpg   7D8CA04A-4E22-445E-9C2B-DE4814C7029B.jpg  

Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #29

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Yes you want to keep the trailer as close to your rear axle as possible for best handling but using a 1-2 " longer shank will likely have minimal effect. I went to a 12 inch shank from a 10 inch shank so I could open my tailgate and observe no noticeable effects. I don't know why there is so much focus on hitch extenders in this post, I think a 2 inch longer shank is a much better solution and they are available from E-trailer.
frthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frthompson View Post
Yes you want to keep the trailer as close to your rear axle as possible for best handling but using a 1-2 " longer shank will likely have minimal effect. I went to a 12 inch shank from and 10 inch shank so I could open my tailgate and observe no noticeable effects. I don't know why there is so much focus on hitch extenders in this post, I think a 2 inch longer shank is a much better solution and they are available from E-trailer.
This thread has taken a number of detours, as they often do. The OP only needs 1" of extension. For a small amount I agree with you 100%.

Someone else posted about an 18" extension used to carry a bunch of gear. Big difference! I felt compelled to post the caveat about reduced hitch ratings with longer extenders, because many people do not know.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Would that depend on your definition of a hitch extender?
I have different stock drawbars with as much as a couple inches difference in exposed tube.
I assume you mean a device like this?...
I thought people were talking about a longer drawbar of some sort when using the term “hitch extension.”.”
What did they mean if not drawbar? Any idea? Any pictures of these “hitch extensions” that are not like your picture of the drawbar? Just curious
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #32

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Yes terminology will get you every time. I was suggesting all the OP needs is a slightly longer shank or drawbar like the first attached photo. I believe that is a better solution than what I call a hitch extension, as in the second photo, which introduces another piece and joint into the hook-up.
Attached Thumbnails
shank.JPG   extension.JPG  

frthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #33

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I made an adapter plate to turn the jack about 30 degrees to the side. Now the tailgate clears the jack.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
IMHO, this issue underlines the inherent problem of using a pickup truck as a tug. Extending the hitch obviously provides more leverage for the trailer to jack around the rear axle of the vehicle. So you need an even bigger pickup to tow even these small trailers. I don't expect to talk anybody out of their truck love, but an SUV with a tailgate that lifts out of the way seems like a great solution.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote