Long hitchball connector (stinger?) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Long hitchball connector (stinger?)

I'd like to use a longer hitchball connector so my tongue jack won't interfere with my tailgate.
What are the issues, pro and con with this approach?

Walt
Old 09-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
NO! Unless you are going to keep your highway speed under 30mph. It (they) provide more leverage for your trailer to push your tow vehicle around.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

SW Virginia
Do you mean a greater tendency to cause sway? And won't an anti sway bar take care of that?

Walt
Old 09-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'd like to use a longer hitchball connector so my tongue jack won't interfere with my tailgate.

Walt
There are several variables which affect your question.
Here are some generalities...
The closer your hitch ball is to the rear axle on the TV the better for handling and weight distribution.
Your truck's rear overhang may be such that it can tolerate a longer drawbar, or it may be long enough to adversely affect handling already.
Thus,a few inches more of drawbar length may not have much effect on an overall setup... or it might. The actual length from the coupler to the trailer axle will also affect the effect that a longer drawbar would have.

An alternative to accomplish the same goal would be to extend the tongue on the trailer, which has its own set of effects as well.

Generalities being always false, each application must be evaluated on its own merit. Your trailer was not specifically engineered for your specific TV nor vice versa.

There are "kickstand" type and removable type tongue jacks available which could solve your issue.

I have compromised on my solution to this issue by adding a protective cover to my tongue jack which allows the tailgate to be opened partway and rest on the tongue jack without damage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
A long "hitch extender" will reduce your tow vehicles weight rating. To quote etrailer's web page: "Instead of using a tongue extender for your trailer you could use a hitch extender like the part # C45791 to basically get the same effect. This is an 8 inch extender that would work well for you. You should note that using an adapter like this will cut the capacity of the hitch on your truck in half." You could get a trailer ball mount hitch with a longer shank like https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...371803307.html, But to get the right rise/drop, you are going to have to shop around. A good trailer shop might help you out.

Or as Floyd said - remove your type tongue jack, and install one that folds up when hooked to your TV. Make sure you get one that will handle the weight and locks well in dropped position. Reviews are important when choosing one. That might well be the cheaper and safer solution.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:49 PM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
After mounting an electric jack on our Scamp 16, the tailgate on our Highlander would no longer clear. A stinger with a 3" extension solved the problem with no noticeable ill effects.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #7

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
After mounting an electric jack on our Scamp 16, the tailgate on our Highlander would no longer clear. A stinger with a 3" extension solved the problem with no noticeable ill effects.
That's the kind of solution I'm looking for.
In fact all I really need is a 1" extension.
On perfectly level ground the tailgate clears fine.
But if the TV is pointed up even slightly, it hits the buttons on my power tongue jack.

Walt
Old 09-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For only 1" you might even be able to drill a new hole in the one you've got. Good news is 1" is highly unlikely to make an appreciable difference in stability.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #9

Registry
Haven't seen it , but could you just turn the head of the jack on the pedestal?
Old 09-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Haven't seen it , but could you just turn the head of the jack on the pedestal?
In my application, then the mounting holes didn't line up.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #11

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For only 1" you might even be able to drill a new hole in the one you've got. And 1" is highly unlikely to make an appreciable difference in stability.
Interesting thought, but I'd need to set the new hole 2" back so the holes don't overlap. I'll have to look at that. Thanks.

Walt
Old 09-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
MN
Registry
Quote:

Walt
I ran a drawbar with 6 inch extension for several years pulling a 2500 lb (loaded) Aliner Expedition so my tailgate would clear the a-frame jack.
I didn't notice any adverse additional swaying, but the effects on your tow vehicle would be the same as an increase in hitch weight. Also, you may think you only need a one inch extension, but remember what happens if you make a sharp turn while backing with the tailgate down! I made that mistake when hauling a couple of kayaks with the tailgate down while hitched, and when making a turn I put some nice creases into top of tailgate.
roadfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
In my application, then the mounting holes didn't line up.
On my application, it didn't even have a provision for a vertical jack!

It was a 1-7/8" coupler with a swing down jack originally...
The picture shows the mod. with small crossmember for the rear bolts.

Which brings up the idea of just moving the jack back a couple inches??
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0093.JPG  
Old 09-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #14

SW Virginia
I have a 17' Escape with the optional storage bin on the tongue. No possibility of moving the tongue jack back, even an inch. Otherwise it would be a good solution. Thanks.

Walt
Old 09-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I have a 17' Escape with the optional storage bin on the tongue. No possibility of moving the tongue jack back, even an inch. Otherwise it would be a good solution. Thanks.

Walt
it might be possible to rotate the power head without rotating the mounting plate.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
Extension

You will not have a problem. I made a hitch extension that is between 18" to 20" that holds 2 Honda 2200 generators 2 gas cans that hold 5 gallons total and 2 bicycles. I have drove around 4,000 miles with a long wheelbase Chevy Express Van with no problem. 1 trick is to get all of the slop out between the hitch and the receiver. Drill 3 holes on each receiver, 1 on each side and 1 on the top, then weld a nut on each hole, I used a little longer bolt with a jam nut. This makes your hitch extension like it is one piece and the only slop you have now is at the ball. This takes out the slop which I believe causes the sway. Another thing you can do is stiffen the suspension. I believe I used either 3/8" or 1/2" fine thread nuts or bolts. Good Luck and Take Care
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyag View Post
You will not have a problem. I made a hitch extension that is between 18" to 20" that holds 2 Honda 2200 generators 2 gas cans that hold 5 gallons total and 2 bicycles. I have drove around 4,000 miles with a long wheelbase Chevy Express Van with no problem. 1 trick is to get all of the slop out between the hitch and the receiver. Drill 3 holes on each receiver, 1 on each side and 1 on the top, then weld a nut on each hole, I used a little longer bolt with a jam nut. This makes your hitch extension like it is one piece and the only slop you have now is at the ball. This takes out the slop which I believe causes the sway. Another thing you can do is stiffen the suspension. I believe I used either 3/8" or 1/2" fine thread nuts or bolts. Good Luck and Take Care

But do you realize how much that throws off your trailer hitch's weight rating? The use of a hitch extender reduces the tongue weight capacity of the trailer hitch by 50 percent. So if your tongue weight capacity was 350 lbs, it is now 175 lbs. A accident waiting to happen!!! And with a extension as long as your, I sure it is even more!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
But do you realize how much that throws off your trailer hitch's weight rating? The use of a hitch extender reduces the tongue weight capacity of the trailer hitch by 50 percent. So if your tongue weight capacity was 350 lbs, it is now 175 lbs. A accident waiting to happen!!! And with a extension as long as your, I sure it is even more!!
A Chevy Express LWB (3500?) has plenty of hitch weight capacity! Its weight and extremely long wheelbase make it quite stable. I agree it’s not ideal, but you can get away with more when you have that much overkill in your tow vehicle.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Would that depend on your definition of a hitch extender?
I have different stock drawbars with as much as a couple inches difference in exposed tube.
I assume you mean a device like this?...
Old 09-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #20

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Would that depend on your definition of a hitch extender?
I have different stock drawbars with as much as a couple inches difference in exposed tube.
Good point about using a "long" drawbar rather than a separate "hitch extender" for the extra length. Especially if you are only looking for a few inches. I remember when I had a Jeep Wrangler, I had to use a longer drawbar to clear the spare tire. The fewer pieces the better.

I fixed the problem of tailgate/jack interference with my current TV by getting a removable jack...