looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have an 18 year old Mercury Mountaineer, it runs great too, but the heater core has started leaking. Fogging the windows badly. It's an $850 bill to replace (7 hours labor). The truck is only worth maybe $1500 with a good heater core, so it makes me wonder if it's even worth keeping. I have given some thought to adding sealant pellets, but from what I've read it is hit-or-miss, and even if it plugs the hole it might plug some other things... and the fix tends to be temporary. Floyd, you're lucky you are handy and can repair stuff like that yourself; for the rest of us who aren't mechanically inclined, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have vehicles that aged.

Many heater cores are simple to R&R... Your's is NOT!

SO...
Bar's leaks is a really good cooling system sealer, just follow instructions on the bottle. It won't harm anything so it is well worth a try.
Of course it is not the same as a new heater core but there is a good chance that it will be a permanent repair (if there is such a thing)

Be sure to run the vehicle until good and warm after adding it.
https://www.barsgroup.com/shop/produ...466?category=9

See the bottle below...

As you know I am trying to buy a new 2019 Ranger.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have an 18 year old Mercury Mountaineer, it runs great too, but the heater core has started leaking. Fogging the windows badly. It's an $850 bill to replace (7 hours labor). The truck is only worth maybe $1500 with a good heater core, so it makes me wonder if it's even worth keeping. I have given some thought to adding sealant pellets, but from what I've read it is hit-or-miss, and even if it plugs the hole it might plug some other things... and the fix tends to be temporary. Floyd, you're lucky you are handy and can repair stuff like that yourself; for the rest of us who aren't mechanically inclined, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have vehicles that aged.
One fallacy when getting rid of a car because of an expensive pending repair:

If the repair is good, and the rest of the car is good as well, you might get another five years out of it after the repair.

And mentioned by others, that expensive repair cost is probably about two payments on the new replacement vehicle.

A friend of mine bought a Subaru Outback wagon with over 250,000 miles on it. Who buys a car with that many miles on it? Well, it cost him less than $1500, and he now has 362,000 miles on it. So if it dies tomorrow, so what? He got four years out of it, that's less than $400 per year. And even dead, it would have some value. Part of it depends on where you live. My friend is in South Carolina, no rust concerns. In the rust belt, some cars get retired long before the mechanicals die.

There are reasons to get a new car, but none of them are financial.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
One fallacy when getting rid of a car because of an expensive pending repair:

If the repair is good, and the rest of the car is good as well, you might get another five years out of it after the repair.

And mentioned by others, that expensive repair cost is probably about two payments on the new replacement vehicle.

A friend of mine bought a Subaru Outback wagon with over 250,000 miles on it. Who buys a car with that many miles on it? Well, it cost him less than $1500, and he now has 362,000 miles on it. So if it dies tomorrow, so what? He got four years out of it, that's less than $400 per year. And even dead, it would have some value. Part of it depends on where you live. My friend is in South Carolina, no rust concerns. In the rust belt, some cars get retired long before the mechanicals die.

There are reasons to get a new car, but none of them are financial.
Plenty of them could be financial.
For instance a used car in general must be more than 5 and less than 14 years old in order for the salvage yards to have parts. Less than 5 and insurance companies buy them up, more than 14 and they get scrapped.
I just did the brakes on my granddaughter's 30YO car and had to special order parts from three different sources in three different states.

Another example... My Ranger is now 18YO and after selling it, the net annual cost of the purchase will be less than $500, with average annual unscheduled maintenance of $33 (all incurred last year).
Its a good bet that the latter has reached its nadir in spite of the truck's present excellent condition.
My guess is that while the residual value to be recuperated and applied toward the replacement vehicle is now at its practical zenith.
These factors could well make it financially advantageous to get a new car.

Still most purchases of all types are far more complex than merely the cost in dollars, such as the desire to impress strangers who are not even likely to notice and even less likely to care?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still most purchases of all types are far more complex than merely the cost in dollars, such as the desire to impress strangers who are not even likely to notice and even less likely to care?
I don't know anyone that would buy a new car just to impress strangers, but they might to get the improved drivability of a newer car, improved safety systems such as air bags and traction control, better mileage while at the same time having more power, and the hope, for many, that no repairs will be needed for a long time. The promise of reliability is a big safety and security issue. Especially for those unable to work on cars. It opens the possibility of traveling farther, safer and without the fear of unknown costs. I bought a new truck, not so much because it was un-reliable or worn out after 280,000 miles, but also because it had some poor designs in the suspension, transmission and heating system and I was tired of dealing with it.

Of course, having said that, I recently bought a 35 year old Mercedes and am having a ball driving it all over the place. I'm willing to work on it some because it's such a good design to begin with.

Some cars are incredibly reliable and others are not worth the effort just to save a few bux. Some are a pleasure to drive and some are utilitarian appliances. For me, they have always been more than just a way to get to my destinations with minimum cost.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know anyone that would buy a new car just to impress strangers, but they might to get the improved drivability of a newer car, improved safety systems such as air bags and traction control, better mileage while at the same time having more power, and the hope, for many, that no repairs will be needed for a long time. The promise of reliability is a big safety and security issue. Especially for those unable to work on cars. It opens the possibility of traveling farther, safer and without the fear of unknown costs. I bought a new truck, not so much because it was un-reliable or worn out after 280,000 miles, but also because it had some poor designs in the suspension, transmission and heating system and I was tired of dealing with it.

Of course, having said that, I recently bought a 35 year old Mercedes and am having a ball driving it all over the place. I'm willing to work on it some because it's such a good design to begin with.

Some cars are incredibly reliable and others are not worth the effort just to save a few bux. Some are a pleasure to drive and some are utilitarian appliances. For me, they have always been more than just a way to get to my destinations with minimum cost.
Good post and mostly true except for that first part of that first sentence!...
You do, you just don't know you do!!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #26

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Floyd, did you ever get that Ford Transit Connect 4 cylinder you were considering a while back?
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Floyd, did you ever get that Ford Transit Connect 4 cylinder you were considering a while back?
Sorta...
I started out looking for a Transit Connect van and ended up replacing my Escape with a 2016 Transit Connect wagon. We now have about 23000 miles on it and towed a little over 6000 miles with it so far and are delighted with the mileage and the performance.
Last year to ScampCamp in Florida we got 25MPG for the trip even over Monteagle. Summer mileage to the UP was slightly less because of heavy traffic and the use of A/C. It is stop and go traffic all the way from here to Milwaukee nowadays. The shape almost perfectly shadows my Scamp13D. It is very stable and smooth towing. Look at how close the rear axle is to the hitch and with only 105" wheelbase, it is a perfect proportional match to the Scamp. Acceleration is acceptable and it holds highway speeds well... but wouldn't it be neat with the Focus RS drivetrain...350HP -2.3L Ecoboost AHHH!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0036.JPG   DSCF0034.JPG  

DSCF0035.JPG  
Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #28

Georgia
Our tug is a 2009 Honda Ridgeline AWD. It handles the 17' casita just fine and is a joy to drive with or without the camper behind. It truly drives and rides similar to the Pilot we traded for it. With only 30,800 miles on the clock, it should last until they take my keys. HOWEVER......

I've been somewhat considering a new truck. Simply due to all the new safety features.. Would probably pull the trigger on that idea, except for concerns of reliability on the new ones, due to all the gee whiz gizmos......!

If I was 8-10 years younger, a new truck and Camper would move in here.
But I'm not and they haven't !

On the other hand, it is real nice to have everything paid for!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #29

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sorta...
I started out looking for a Transit Connect van and ended up replacing my Escape with a Transit Connect wagon. We now have about 23000 miles on it and towed a little over 6000 miles with it so far and are delighted with the mileage and the performance.
Last year to ScampCamp in Florida we got 25MPG for the trip even over Monteagle. Summer mileage to the UP was slightly less because of heavy traffic and the use of A/C. It is stop and go traffic all the way from here to Milwaukee nowadays.
It certainly stands out. And not something you see every day. Is that 25 mpg with the Scamp in tow?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Our tug is a 2009 Honda Ridgeline AWD. It handles the 17' casita just fine and is a joy to drive with or without the camper behind. It truly drives and rides similar to the Pilot we traded for it. With only 30,800 miles on the clock, it should last until they take my keys. HOWEVER......

I've been somewhat considering a new truck. Simply due to all the new safety features.. Would probably pull the trigger on that idea, except for concerns of reliability on the new ones, due to all the gee whiz gizmos......!

If I was 8-10 years younger, a new truck and Camper would move in here.
But I'm not and they haven't !

On the other hand, it is real nice to have everything paid for!
I'm still looking to buy the new Ranger. I'll retire my '01 at the top of its game while it still looks and drives good. Two antiques around the house is enough for me.

My carclub and garage sale friend has a 2009 Honda Ridgeline with about 40K on the clock he keeps it like new and it is a pleasant vehicle.
It is a Pilot with added versatility. He just bought a 21ft sticky and will be towing it with the Ridgeline. I went with him to get the trailer. The Ridgeline did fine and so did he for his first trip (I was a little nervous at times)
Old 12-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
It certainly stands out. And not something you see every day. Is that 25 mpg with the Scamp in tow?
Yes, I wouldn't go to ScampCamp without it. It gets 28-30 on the highway without the trailer on 87 octane RBOB at 78MPH.. I tow at 59-60MPH (mostly 89 or 91 octane).
Eight grandkids and a thousand 2 mile trips perweek in town yields about 22MPG on 87 Octane fuel. Sometimes I think "TC" stands for "TAXI CAB"!

The New Ranger calls for 87 octane RBOB, towing or not, and even with nearly twice the power, predicts about the same mileage as the TC.
The back seats (SuperCab) are a little small, but I always said...
"Backseat riders don't make car payments".
Sure hope it last 18years and is still as good as the one I've got!

Heck... I hope I last another 18years with everything still working!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #32

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
You Tube reviews by experts

A nice one will still be at $40k and for that money you can get a Canyon SLT diesel (which is preferred for safely pulling a heavier camper having a big exposure to wind).

bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #33

Registry
Of course "a nice one" is a subjective judgement but mine will be under 28K OTD.
Of course the Ranger will out pull and out run the Chevy and the fuel cost will be less on the Ranger after you pay the 20-25% premium for diesel fuel.
The Chevy is a fair runner-up though, and at least they offer bright red!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #34

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Ford has been missing the hot mid-size pick-up market, so the new Ranger will be a great addition. While our 2017 Honda Ridgeline has been a terrific tow vehicle and daily driver for my wife, we would have seriously considered the Ranger if it was available.

We looked at the F-150 but since the vehicle was going to be driven by my wife she was not comfortable driving a full size truck. Not everyone needs the capabilities of a full sized pick up, though they sure are nice.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #35

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Smile

The Ranger has a 19 gallon tank so when you factor in towing mileage, you will always be searching for the next gas station.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post
The Ranger has a 19 gallon tank so when you factor in towing mileage, you will always be searching for the next gas station.
Not so, my present Ranger has a 16 gallon tank and yields a 300 mile range towing my Scamp.
The new Ranger will have a 19 gallon tank which will yield at least a 400 mile range more likely 450 +.
This is the largest tank ever offered on a Ranger (mid-sized) with a fuel economy better than any V6 on any Ranger ever made and by far the most power ever offered. The mileage will exceed any V6 offered by any of its competition as well.
I expect there will be searching for a "comfort station" long before the next fuel stop.
I'm thinking the average driver would get one rest stop every 3 hours with fuel every other stop.

I often drive further than that, and could drive 12 hours with only one fuel stop mid day. At 63MPH, that's over 750miles in one day.
At any rate I expect this will be the greatest range of any tow vehicle I have ever owned and much further than needed under normal conditions.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #37

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by workhorsed View Post
The "new" Ranger has been around for years; it's only "new" to Canada/US markets. Probably the last design to come out of Ford Australia and sold world wide for the last few years. Unfortunately the working mans version will not be available north of the 49th.
No it is not the last design out of Ford Australia as Ford has invested a fairly substantial amount of money on the design and development capabilities of Ford Australia. Production has stopped for Ford Australia , but Ford Australia has been doing design and development work on quite few Ford models. Bronco is another model they are working on for NA. Your US Ranger is different from the other Rangers in having a Gas engine and having considerably less robust specification( Global Ranger has a 2,700lb payload and 7,700lb towing, one Australian version has a 3,000lb payload). Different markets require differing specifications. All variations including the US version are developed and designed Broadmeadows, Victoria Australia
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #38

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I am not for 2 or 4 wheel drive either way, but I understand that the resale value holds up better for the 4X4 or at least they sell quicker into the used market.
That might mean that a used 2 wheel drive is a better bargain or at least the 4X4 has a higher cost relative to the original price.
Neither would usually matter to me as I usually buy used and I try to choose a vehicle that I will run for 250,000 miles plus and a few dollars in trade in makes little difference.
My last (!) vehicles I bought with the money that VW paid to get their TDI Sportwagens back so that they could either fix the engines or crush them. The 2009 has 265,000 miles and the 2013 had 100,000 plus.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #39

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've always liked the idea of small trucks and will be interested to see how this works out. I hope it will be priced significantly lower than the F150 or it will have a tough road. Doesn't seem as if the mpg will differentiate it much. FWIW, other than cost I don't see much downside to 4WD on a truck.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #40

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I've always liked the idea of small trucks and will be interested to see how this works out. I hope it will be priced significantly lower than the F150 or it will have a tough road. Doesn't seem as if the mpg will differentiate it much. FWIW, other than cost I don't see much downside to 4WD on a truck.
4 wheel drive is just something more to go wrong, but as I've already said, I have it and I needed it where I used to live. I will still use it as I live where it snows, or it used to--only about an inch is on the ground now. Lazy people like me like to have it if we drive over the mountains in the winter. We usually don't have to chain up to go over. Like now. I-90, Snoqualmie Pass has chains required except for all wheel drive vehicles. When it gets bad enough that they require chains on everything, it is not a good time to be going over the pass.

For snow driving, I loved having Subarus, but I can't see having 2 vehicles again. I do miss my old Outback.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote