Looking for a New Tow Vehicle Option - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Looking for a New Tow Vehicle Option

I have a 1975 Trillium and am wondering if anyone has knowledge of or experience with utilizing a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid as a tow vehicle..

I understand they get grand mileage as a passenger vehicle and am wondering if when towing are they as efficient or are they even capable of towing a 1200-1400 lb trailer..

Any info would be appreciated..
Old 03-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
internet says 1750 lbs towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
I have a 1975 Trillium and am wondering if anyone has knowledge of or experience with utilizing a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid as a tow vehicle..

I understand they get grand mileage as a passenger vehicle and am wondering if when towing are they as efficient or are they even capable of towing a 1200-1400 lb trailer..Any info would be appreciated..
But what's your book for your vehicle say? You may be holding up traffic in the "hills" of BC.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:41 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow rating is 1750#, which is likely enough for a fully loaded T1300, though not a lot of margin for extra gear and/or passengers. Toyota does use J2807 tow testing protocols, so I would expect adequate hill climbing performance. You won’t be zooming up in the fast lane.

If annual mileage tilts heavily toward everyday city and suburban driving, with only occasional towing duty, I think it makes sense.

If you don’t find anyone here with actual experience, you might google “RAV4 Hybrid towing” and look for hits on a Toyota owner’s forum.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Jon.. Thanks for your input..
Old 03-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Almost all tugs will use more fuel when towing as the engine works harder. Tugs that are maxed out will wear much quicker so maintenance will be higher.
I switched from a 1/2 ton gas to a 3/4 diesel and my fuel consumption improved as the tug didn't have to work as hard.
I'm a boondocker so the extra capacity is good for climbing. I've seen a lot of transmission fluid and antifreeze part way up steep grades.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Currently shopping
British Columbia
Hybrid towing

I have a 16 foot scamp that is supposed to weigh in at 1750 lbs . Probably closer to 2000lbs. I was pulling it with my Rav4 hybrid and have done several trips through the mountains all the way to Saskatchewan and back. No problems. Good mileage. I have just switched to the Rav4 Prime. Plug in electric. It has a tow rating of 2500 lbs and agin no problems. I find that you can expect your miles per gallon or litres per 100 km to drop roughly in half when towing.
Riveerwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to towing a trailer than just pulling it down the road. That's the EASY part!

Sooner of later you gotta STOP that truck and trailer!

Recommended towing specifications are there for your safety and safety of others. Safely stopping your tow vehicle trailer combo is a far bigger part of this equation that just the ability of the vehicle to pull the trailer.

A short wheelbase vehicle like the one you are considering for your tow vehicle is far more difficult to control in a panic stop or high wind condition than with a larger longer wheelbase vehicle.

What's more important?

Fuel Economy or YOUR Safety?

I suggest you give this whole tow vehicle selection process a lot more consideration than what you might be thinking at this time.

Safety First Always!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post

I understand they get grand mileage as a passenger vehicle and am wondering if when towing are they as efficient or are they even capable of towing a 1200-1400 lb trailer..

Any info would be appreciated..
Hey Chris,

I tow my 71 Boler with a 2019 RAV4 hybrid here on the island. I've had no problems towing Lita. Weighs in around 1480 lbs fully loaded. Been over the malahat and over the hump to Tofino and have had no issues. Tows great and no problems with braking. Mileage towing Lita is around 8 l/100km - ish which I figure is is pretty darn okay. Lita's fairly stripped down, no fridge, no onboard water so YMMV. But no problems whatsoever the past few years we've towed with the RAV.

Bob
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
With a trailer as light as a trillium one could also consider an electric tow vehicle. Depending on budget and travelling style of course.

Have a great camping season.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
With a trailer as light as a trillium one could also consider an electric tow vehicle. Depending on budget and travelling style of course.

Have a great camping season.
Or how about the RAV4 Prime PHEV? 42 miles of electric range for in-town, everyday driving plus 2500# of rated towing capacity, and you'll never have electric range anxiety.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Or how about the RAV4 Prime PHEV? 42 miles of electric range for in-town everyday driving plus 2500# of rated towing capacity, and you'll never have range anxiety.
Our neighbour across the street has a RAV 4 prime PHEV. Got it last summer or so. She absolutely loves it. It makes the same.back up noise as ours although thinking that is probably a law requirement for all EV’s now. I have never looked at the back to see if it has a receiver.(or maybe it’s hidden like ours). Can they tow?
Old 03-17-2022, 10:50 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
You know our neighbour across the street has a RAV 4 prime PHEV. Got it last summer or so. She absolutely loves it. It makes the same.back up noise as ours although thinking that is probably a law requirement for all EV’s not. I have never looked at the back to see if it has a receiver.(or maybe it’s hidden like ours). Can they tow?
Yes, the Prime is rated to tow 2500# as I noted, which provides a more comfortable margin than the regular hybrid for pulling a 13'er.

Finding one at any price, let alone anywhere near MSRP, is probably the biggest challenge.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Yes, the Prime is rated to tow 2500# as I noted, which provides a more comfortable margin than the regular hybrid for pulling a 13'er.

Finding one at any price, let alone anywhere near MSRP, is probably the biggest challenge.
I would think that is plenty for a 13 foot trailer. Might make a great economical combo.

I hear ya on the availability. I think that is the case for EV’s or hybrids in general right now. We waited 6 months for our Tesla SUV to arrive. I think the list is longer now although there are a couple of new Tesla factories coming online now so it may get better pretty quick.

Safe travels.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

You got it Jon! The RAV4 Prime is definitely what I would have preferred especially with that extra tow capacity but unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of time to wait for their arrival when we bought and right now they are almost impossible to find.

That being said we'll likely be looking at a Prime in the next few years and meanwhile we're super happy with the RAV hybrid we do have.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:23 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobqb View Post
You got it Jon! The RAV4 Prime is definitely what I would have preferred especially with that extra tow capacity but unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of time to wait for their arrival when we bought and right now they are almost impossible to find.

That being said we'll likely be looking at a Prime in the next few years and meanwhile we're super happy with the RAV hybrid we do have.
They have a very solid reputation. There are a few in our neighbourhood. Solid performer for Toyota.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
They have a very solid reputation. There are a few in our neighbourhood. Solid performer for Toyota.
We don’t have the Rav 4 prime but we do have the Prius prime and are very happy with it.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We don’t have the Rav 4 prime but we do have the Prius prime and are very happy with it.
I would think the Prius Prime and the RavV PHEV share some of the same bones. We looked at the Prius Prime a couple years ago before we bought our model 3 and really liked it. It wasn’t quite the right fit for us at the time but for sure a very nice car.

There are so many nice cars on the road now I want one of each...but then reality kicks in and........ .