Looking for Tow Vehicle recommendations - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #41

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
2013 ford escape 2.0 4wd 3500# no problems.Fiberglass RV - ONEFORD's Album: 2013 ford Escape Travel Lite I17
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #42

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEFORD View Post
That's the ticket if you can find the 2.0 eco boost engine with towing package. The other 90% of Escapes on the lots are rated at 1500lbs. Our Edge is rated at 2000 lbs. I would not tow my Casita across the street with it. Probably millions of people tow more than their vehicle is rated to tow and most had no problem. I personally prefer a little cushion when it comes to towing capacities. Just makes for a more relaxed trip in my way of thinking.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
That's the ticket if you can find the 2.0 eco boost engine with towing package. The other 90% of Escapes on the lots are rated at 1500lbs. Our Edge is rated at 2000 lbs. I would not tow my Casita across the street with it. Probably millions of people tow more than their vehicle is rated to tow and most had no problem. I personally prefer a little cushion when it comes to towing capacities. Just makes for a more relaxed trip in my way of thinking.
I wouldn't tow my Scamp across the street with that Dodge! Of course it's already big enough to cross the street... parked!
Most fiberglass trailers are smaller than your Casita and while it would be easy to tow it across the street with a Dodge diesel, I think it would be a chore to go much further.
Personally... I want to keep the word "recreational" in RV.

The 2.5 is rated 1500#
The 1.6 Ecoboost is rated 2000#
The 2.0 Ecoboost is rated 2000#
The 2.0 Ecoboost (with factory tow package)is rated 3500#
Then there is SEMA!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #44

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
In the side pic, you can see the Escape and trailer sitting level due to the Andersen no-sway weight distribution hitch. The 6 speed trans with select shift keeps it from unnessary down shifts. I have got as high as 18mpg on flat ground with no head wind, cruise set at 65mph and as low as 9mpg up hill with strong head winds at 75-80 mph. I have been through 60mph cross winds in stoms with no sway due to hitch setup. The front of this trailer less drag than most. I have driven trucks that have felt less sure than this.
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #45

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I wouldn't tow my Scamp across the street with that Dodge!
You wouldn't have to tow it, you could just put it in the bed.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #46

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Drove a few of your recommendations but ended up going with a certified pre-owned CX-9 Touring AWD. Mazda offers a 100k powertrain warranty so that was a big bonus. I'll be putting a hitch on soon and towing as soon as the snow melts.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
enjoy your new wheels!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #48

New Hampshire
Thanks! Haven't driven something this big since I had an old Grand Marquis in High School. It's going to take some getting used to. The backup camera and lane change monitors will be a huge help in that department!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Thanks! Haven't driven something this big since I had an old Grand Marquis in High School. It's going to take some getting used to. The backup camera and lane change monitors will be a huge help in that department!
LOL I know how you feel... It was a took a little getting use to switch recently to a truck from an Outback - felt like I was driving the Queen Mary for the first week... now Its all good. No issues even in busy city mall parking lots. Surprising how fast one can adjust. I did order a back up camera as soon as I got the truck as I didn't think I would survive without it... have the camera and still not installed it as I have actually gotten use to backing up the truck without fear. Will get it installed in time for my first camping trip next month though as it will be a blessing for hitching up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #50

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Drove a few of your recommendations but ended up going with a certified pre-owned CX-9 Touring AWD. Mazda offers a 100k powertrain warranty so that was a big bonus. I'll be putting a hitch on soon and towing as soon as the snow melts.
Nice car!

Were you lucky enough to find one with the transmission oil cooler already installed? I understand that's mfr. required for towing above 2,000 pounds.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #51
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
The Mazda sounds good. Back in the 80's I went from a Toyota Camry to a Mazda 626. Both had manuals. Both vehicles were in the same class but the Mazda was light years ahead in the handling performance category. Even driving a new BMW 318 shortly after using the 626 I preferred the Mazda. For use as a TV that Mazda performance "Zoom Zoom" is a biggy. Thinking you will luv that CX9 anyway you want to use it.

Note: My neighbor has a CX9 and I had a chance to drive it. The drive was very nice. No butt wiggling there like many large SUV's etc. It goes go through a lot of gas quickly.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #52

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Nice car!

Were you lucky enough to find one with the transmission oil cooler already installed? I understand that's mfr. required for towing above 2,000 pounds.
Yes, if you get AWD, you get the tow prep package as standard equipment which adds the transmission cooler, larger radiator fan, and reprogrammed ECU for towing up to 3500 lbs. The towing package which is not standard on any model adds a hitch and harness. I'm going to order the Curt hitch and 7-pin brake controller kit from eTrailer and pick up the 4-pin harness from Mazda to make installation easy. I also plan to upgrade the stereo with aftermarket amps and speakers so I specifically found one without Bose. I'm a bit of an audiophile snob and have a garage full of stereo parts to mix and match. I may add the factory NAV module too if I can get a good price on one from a salvage yard or something. Otherwise I'll stick with our garmin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Note: My neighbor has a CX9 and I had a chance to drive it. The ride was very nice. It goes go through a lot of gas quickly.
The only better option as far as gas mileage was the Escape. Everything else with this towing capacity is right around 22 mpg or less highway. I was getting 22-24 mpg in my Mazdaspeed6 on premium gas so I shouldn't see a major shocker at the pump filling up the new ride.

The biggest adjustment for me is going from stick to automatic (or autotragic as I like to say). I wanted the niceties of a premium SUV and the only way I was going to keep stick was to settle for a true off road truck like a Wrangler/Xterra/FJ or spend more for a premium mark like the BMW X3. Its the one sacrifice I'm making and most likely my wife will drive this quite a bit so I can tool around in her 5 speed Focus to get my fill of rowing through gears.

Tags
eco